We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skyscanners multi star ratings of consolidators..

Los Angeles County
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Skyscanners multi star ratings of consolidators..

While looking for last minute ticket from LAX to Europe leaving in a little over a month, most flights one way are ridiculously high (maybe I should do the roundtrip gambit and throw away half the ticket) I saw lower priced tickets on Skyscanner most likely through consolidators. I was going to go by the star ratings but decided to google reviews for the companies, imagine my astonishment when some companies with seemingly multi starred ratings had horrendous reviews. I will copy and paste the link to show what I mean and you could look up the reviews yourself.

https:/…

as you can see, most seem to have at least 4 stars but when I google reviews for the companies they all seem to have horrid reviews except for Travel Merry which also does have some but on the forums they respond to them and more so than the others seems to have a lot of positive ones.

Now as some people on other forums state the people who complain the most are those who try to change their tickets and since they are DEFINITELY very restrictive tickets they do not have nuch of a reason to complain and I do not plan on changing mine,so no worries on that front, but what worries me is that some charge that consol and also Merry with putting extra charges on their credit card and also (the point of this post) is WHERE are these high star ratings coming from as I see the majority of reviews on all these companies as negative so can't figure it out!

People say to deal with the airlines directly but as one may know, when a ticket is purchased close to departure date the regular price on the airline ticket is very, very high which is why we turn to the consolidators, I may just go on Merry based on the fact that they respond to criticism and DO have a lot of positive reviews but can others post GOOD experience with consol. and which ones, and if anyone knows for sure (not just through conjecture or opinion) as to my question asked in the paragraph above I would be most appreciative.

13 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skyscanners multi star ratings of consolidators..

"maybe I should do the roundtrip gambit and throw away half the ticket"

That is probably what some of the sites showing cheaper prices are expecting you to do. Basically they will sell you a return ticket masquerading as a one-way fare and tack on some random return flight. Also, many of the options you are shown are with Kiwi.com who will come up cheapest because they will cobble together separate tickets with low-cost carriers. Again, if this is what you want to do, you can do it yourself. If you post your itinerary people will be able to give better advice.

I would put no stock at all in the star ratings that Skyscanner displays.

Edited: 22 September 2017, 09:30
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
58,605 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skyscanners multi star ratings of consolidators..

>>>I would put no stock at all in the star ratings that Skyscanner displays.<<<

Neither would I. Does anyone know h source, or whether they are just made up?

3. Re: Skyscanners multi star ratings of consolidators..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 September 2017, 09:52
Edited: 22 September 2017, 09:52

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,020 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skyscanners multi star ratings of consolidators..

There are such things as consolidators, but the travel companies who pay Skyscanner to appear as ticket vendors in the search results aren't consolidators. For one thing, if they were they'd have real time prices because they'd be selling from their own ticket allocation. If you read the small print before you book, you'll see that almost invariably what clicking that 'book' button does is make a request from you to the company to make a booking on your behalf, and place a hold on your credit card. After a few hours, depending on the staffing level, that request pops up on an agent's screen and they go onto a travel agency booking system (GDS) or the airline's own website and try to book it for you.

Sometimes they can get what you want at the advertised price, though be careful as this may be in a fare category that excludes checked bags, seat reservations, onboard food and drink, changes for any reason, refunds, or all of these.

Sometimes they can't and will come back to you telling you to pay more. If you decline, a small number charge you a fee for trying on your behalf, and in every case you will have to wait up to 10 days or so for the hold to drop off the card freeing that amount up for booking somewhere else - and never use the 'cancel' word, they charge for that too.

Now there are online agents with real time pricing and straightforward business practices, but apart from Expedia, they don't link up with Skyscanner

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
58,605 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skyscanners multi star ratings of consolidators..

>>>There are such things as consolidators, but the travel companies who pay Skyscanner to appear as ticket vendors in the search results aren't consolidators.<<<

I agree with this. And with the reasoning. I'd take all the prices on Skyscanner with a large dose of salt.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,206 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skyscanners multi star ratings of consolidators..

>>Does anyone know h source, or whether they are just made up?<<

I would imagine that the agencies that pay the most get the highest stars. Much like the results that come at the top of a Google search.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,453 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skyscanners multi star ratings of consolidators..

Ignore the consolidators and dodgy OTAs!

Tell us you rough dates and where in Europe you wish to head and some of the experts who lurk on this forum may be able to offer some decent ideas booked directly on airline websites, which carry far lower risks in the event if irrops.

SWT

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,287 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skyscanners multi star ratings of consolidators..

Pretty sure Travel Merry has a ropy rep as well.

Skyscanner 'star' ratings are merely a marketing tool and there are really no 'consolidators' - there are some agents who do have some consolidator fares but it is by no means the norm.

If it's a last minute fare there are unlikely to be any real deals; you need to wise up and deal with the airline direct.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skyscanners multi star ratings of consolidators..

Skyscanners == "Skyscammers".

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,164 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Skyscanners multi star ratings of consolidators..

Star ratings for companies that are found on search engines are really laughable!!

Who do you think decides on the stars???

There is no special magic way to find an inexpensive ticket to Europe.

Reply to: Skyscanners multi star ratings of consolidators..
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted