We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Year-long travel insurance, does this happen?

I've been told something and I'd like to check if it is true.

When you book travel insurance, they seem to offer you a whole year for very little extra money. So, it seems like a good deal to go for the whole year.

But, someone told me that if you go for the whole year, the starting date of the insurance will become the day that you travel on the trip that you're booking. Or, at least that it defaults to that and therefore many people will leave it as such.

Which means that if anything happens before the day of travel that stops you from travelling, then it's not covered. And people who can't travel generally do so for reasons that happen before the day of travel.

Is this realistic? Or just a rumour?

16 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,513 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Year-long travel insurance, does this happen?

That's not correct. What is correct is that the insurance needs to be in place before whatever the issue that caused you to cancel occurs.

In practice it is wise to have your insurance before you book your travel.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,223 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Year-long travel insurance, does this happen?

With an annual policy cover starts from whichever date you enter when taking the policy out, and it lasts for 12 months.

England, United...
Level Contributor
11,912 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Year-long travel insurance, does this happen?

Do you mean an annual, multi-trip policy, which cover you for all your trips in a 12 month period, or a policy which will cover you for a year-long trip away travelling?

They are very different things, and a policy to cover you actually travelling ( out of the UK) for a whole year will be a lot more expensive.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Year-long travel insurance, does this happen?

Thanks for the info. I'm relieved to hear the answer.

BTW: I meant a multi-trip.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Year-long travel insurance, does this happen?

I've had multi-trip annual insurance for many years, with a number of different companies as I shop around each year. Cover always starts from the commencement date of the insurance.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,453 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Year-long travel insurance, does this happen?

And yes, if you travel frequently, then a multi trip annual policy is usually the way to go unless you have declarable illnesses of other personal circs making them prohibitively expensive.

We have had rolling multi trip travel annual insurance for years and years now. I've claimed very rarely and never had an issue.

There is just one other point to note. If you have a trip that you book when the old policy is in force but you change insurance provider before the start of the actual trip. In those circs, it's best to contact both the old and potential new provider to check they will offer seamless cover. I've done this, and got yeses, again without quibble.

SWT

London, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Year-long travel insurance, does this happen?

I still buy annual multi trip insurance even with pre existing medical conditions (one being a lung condition),

The thing you need to take into consideration is the length of any permitted trip, some can be 28-30 days. My one is 45 days and there are a few that will cover you for 90 days.

I normally keep my boarding passes just in case of a claim and have had to provide proof of my travel dates before now.

Toronto
Level Contributor
3,286 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Year-long travel insurance, does this happen?

The other option is to have travel insurance provided through your credit card company. As long as you have the CC, you will have travel insurance. There is still a limit on how long each separate trip can be, mine is 30 days.

England, United...
Level Contributor
11,912 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Year-long travel insurance, does this happen?

Laviniam in post #8

Many CC affiliated /associated/ linked travel insurance policies ( and I'm talking about ones underwritten by UK agencies and regulated by the FCA here, which is relevant to the OP's question ) only cover absolutely standard risks, and few will cover claims arising directly or indirectly, from pre-existing conditions of the insured person/ s or any other person ( such as an immediate relative) upon whose state of health the trip may depend or might be affected or influenced by.

Mon

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,223 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Year-long travel insurance, does this happen?

Sazza,

Whether you can get an annual one without having to sell a body part to pay for it depends on the conditions. I can't remember not having an annual policy, until this time. It appears I am virtually uninsurable for one at this current time. I had a very generous offer of an annual one for Europe which ticked all the cover boxes we require, but at £6600 it was an offer that wasn't to good to refuse lol. Most companies wouldn't even quote. Some wouldn't even quote a single trip!

Reply to: Year-long travel insurance, does this happen?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted