We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicken Pox

Chicken Pox

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 August 2017, 18:05
Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicken Pox

I don't understand you even asking the question,"Does a doctor have a right not to write a fit to fly letter." Of course a doctor has a choice about what he/she puts his/her signature on, just as you do.

Do you have any other children who will be traveling? If they have not previously had chicken pox, or you have not previously had chicken pox, that it the real risk in this situation. The incubation period means that family members at risk would potentially just be breaking out and be highly contagious.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicken Pox

Goodness, chicken pox is a common and mostly harmless childhood disease and I can't imagine being questioned whether your child is fit to fly. I can't imagine you not being allowed to fly either but perhaps you should contact your insurers to be sure what they expect you to do?

The scabs could be anything, from mosquito bites to fleas, so why would anyone ask in those circumstances?

I don't understand the concern really and I certainly wouldn't have asked the airline...

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,130 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicken Pox

bear in mind too that some passengers might be a bit apprehensive to see a child coming on board with visible signs of chickenpox. it is a decision that only you can make, provided that doctor says that there is no risk of contagion.

but traveller (above) make a very important point, your flying companions could certainly be in the incubation stage and could transmit it to others.

you havent said what your insurer says. you realise i hope that any problem arising out of your sons condition could void your insurance

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicken Pox

While chicken pox is a 'childhood' disease, it can also be contracted by adults and can make them quite ill.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,273 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicken Pox

Bella airlines do rightly check if there are signs of a highly contagious illness, which is potentially dangerous to some people eg pregnant women, newborn babies and people with a weakened immune system. Shingles in an adult can be very painful and unpleasant. They are within their rights to ask to see a fit to fly letter if they have any doubts.

Jody I hope you have spoken to your travel insurers to declare a change in health?

Edited: 23 August 2017, 16:25
Canada
Level Contributor
6,342 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicken Pox

@Bella- Some research on the dangers of chicken pox especially in adults and pregnant women may show you why airlines would be and should be concerned, A mosquito bite is nothing like a CP scab,

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,783 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicken Pox

Whilst you surgery may not routinely issue fit to fly letters can you pay for one to be issued. My surgery will do such things if you pay. Can you get a certificate from a private doctor?

From the NHS link it appears the airline can refuse to fly you if they have doubts. In days gone by there was something called Port Health and airlines would call a doctor if they had doubts about a passengers fitness to fly. I don't know if this still exists but it might be worth making sure you get to the airport early. I'd feel much happier having a fit to fly letter.

fitfortravel.nhs.uk/advice/…air-travel.aspx

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicken Pox

How times have changed! My apologies for making light of it but that's because we used to even have chicken pox parties to make sure all the children got it before adulthood when, as was said, it can become shingles. In our day, most people got it as children so the risk was very low as an adult. No one ever worried about it when I was young nor when my children were.

I'm out of touch obviously!

But I did look up the risk to pregnant women and it's about 0.3% in the UK.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,350 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Chicken Pox

0.3% is the chance in the UK of contracting chicken pox during pregnancy, not the risk of something happening to you or the fetus if you do contract it. The chance of contracting it is low because there's a vaccine now, not because it's not dangerous.

Point being: it's not outlandish for an airline to not want a potentially contagious case of chicken pox on their planes.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,273 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chicken Pox

Only 0.3% of pregnant woman catch chicken pox but I've never seen any stats to say what % have problems caused by it. It's not just pregnant women though, it's very young babies as well, and there's plenty of people with weakened immune systems.