We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sickness during long travel

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Sickness during long travel

Hi all,

I know this is not a health forum but maybe some of you experience this as well and can help me.

Every-time i travel for a long time (from Australia to the Netherlands) i get stomach pains and get a bit of nausea. I start to feel the pain during our stopover. I find this weird as i feel nothing during the flight its self. The pain continues onto the second flight and only goes away when i sleep (which is hard during a flight).

I hope this makes sense, please feel free to ask anymore questions.

So, does anyone else experience this, and what are some things i can try to stop this.

Thanks

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sickness during long travel

Have you seen a doctor?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sickness during long travel

Have you seen a doctor?

=======

+1. Nothing anyone on here can comment on.

I used to get bad ear infections when flying overseas. I saw a doctor and was prescribed eardrops. I carry them, and in June on a trip to the UK I got the ear infection, took the drops and was fine for the trip home.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,852 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sickness during long travel

Cabin pressure affects your intestine .. it can expand quite a bit at altitude. If you have chronic stomach problems you will probably suffer more than most people. Not much you can do about it. It can have an effect on all sorts of bodily functions ...

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,548 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sickness during long travel

Visiting a gastroenterologist would be best for you.

UK
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sickness during long travel

Anxiety?

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sickness during long travel

I think you should speak to your doctor about the stomach pains. Flying does strange things to the gut and I often find myself very bloated and gassy!

If it was just sickness I'd recommend Avomine pills from the pharmacy. They stop nausea, but make you drowsy too so you'd take the night before travelling if flying during the day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,495 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sickness during long travel

Another vote for seeing your doctor. For nausea alone, I and lots of other sailors rely on ginger capsules/tablets.