We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK connections question

Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Topic
JFK connections question

I will be traveling to Iceland next month. I have a connection in JFK . I arrive through jet blue at terminal 5 & will transfer to icelandair in terminal 7 with 2.5 hours connection time.

My question is I'm assuming I will have to pass through tsa checkpoint. If I buy drinks or snacks at terminal 5 or from my home airport will I be able to bring them with me when I go through tsa at JFK for my connection?

7 replies to this topic
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,608 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK connections question

You can bring any food or drink that isn't prohibited.

https:/…food

I wouldn't dawdle in Terminal 5. Get to the terminal for your departing flight as soon as you can. Buy drinks and snacks there.

Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK connections question

Thank you so much I would most likely buy the snacks at my originating airport in Orlando like at Hudson news or something . Just wanted to make sure when I pass through tsa again they would let it pass. It's juust regular snacks like chips,or cookies etc etc.

I have 2.5 hours is that enough time to make my connection in terminal 7?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,197 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK connections question

You cannot bring drinks through security. It is not different than what you can bring through security at your home airport.

Snacks are always OK.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK connections question

drinks are limited to 100 ml. So best to buy it AFTER you pas TSA for your international flight or bring an empty water bottle and fill it up at one of those filling stations.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,350 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK connections question

You must conform to the liquid restrictions when you pass through security, so anything that would be prohibited under security rules you should only buy after you get to your gate at Terminal 7.

Ridgeway, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK connections question

You will take AirTrain fro terminal 5 to Terminal 7/ Gettimg on/off elevators should take 15-20 min. I assume you are checking bags through, but I recently rechecke at JFK and that takes a bit longer. Again just like going through security, no drinks a;;owed/

Ridgeway, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK connections question

You will take AirTrain from terminal 5 to Terminal 7. Gettimg on/off elevators should take 15-20 min. I assume you are checking bags through, but I recently recheck at JFK and that takes a bit longer. Again just like going through security, no drinks allowed.

Reply to: JFK connections question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted