We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 hour connecting flight in Frankfurt Airport

Sheffield, United...
1 post
Save Topic
1 hour connecting flight in Frankfurt Airport

Hi there

I am flying with Lufthansa from London Heathrow to Frankfurt Terminal 1 and then getting a connecting flight from terminal 1 to Tokyo. Will 1h 5min be enough time to get to my connecting flight?

16 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,107 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 hour connecting flight in Frankfurt Airport

Will 1h 5min be enough time to get to my connecting flight? - It should be as long as your first flight is on time

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,984 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 hour connecting flight in Frankfurt Airport

Your luggage will be checked through to Tokyo, so you will not see it at Frankfurt, and you will not need to go through any Immigration (Passport Control) formalities. All you have to do is get from the arrival gate to the departure gate.

UK
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 hour connecting flight in Frankfurt Airport

Flying in from the UK it is very likely that the OP will have to re-clear security. Not because it's a requirement (the UK is on the "trusted list"), but because there may not be a sterile route from the arrival gate to the departure gate.

But 65 minutes should still be enough.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,506 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 hour connecting flight in Frankfurt Airport

I've certainly always had to go through formalities at FRA from UK to somewhere else

UK
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 hour connecting flight in Frankfurt Airport

What do you mean by "formalities"?

There will definitely be no Immigration formalities as the OP is not entering Schengen.

There may or may not be a security check.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,630 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 hour connecting flight in Frankfurt Airport

OP is staying in international transit (flying non-Schengen to non-Schengen) so there is no passport control. Assuming that that is what was meant by #4, such formalities only apply if the 2nd flight is to a Schengen destination.

However, there should be a security check: https:/…transfer-at-fra.html

OP does not name the 2nd airline involved but LH flies to Tokyo-Haneda, so if this is the flight concerned, it will be on a single ticket (with luggage checked through to Tokyo and 2nd boarding pass already issued at LHR), in which case 1 hr is indeed enough time for the connection (I think to Gate B60 but it will be necessary to check monitors at FRA) as long as the first flight is on time.

UK
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 hour connecting flight in Frankfurt Airport

"However, there should be a security check: https:/…transfer-at-fra.html"

The link you posted merely says "in most cases"

There are no security checks for Schengen to Schengen and Schengen to non-Schengen transfers at FRA.

If you are transferring from a country on the trusted list (non-Schengen EU countries and the USA) there may or may not be security checks, depending on whether or not there is a sterile route from your arrival gate to your departure gate.

If you are transferring from a country that's neither in Schengen nor on the trusted list you have to re-clear security every time.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,506 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 hour connecting flight in Frankfurt Airport

I've never found a sterile route from UK-arrived aircraft to US or JP departure with LH. There may well be subterranean tunnels, walkways etc, that enable sterile transfer but I've always found myself on the wrong side of security. This has been because I've simply followed signs because of a tight transfer.

I did do it once with an arrival from LCY and a transfer to OZ for ICN, and was amazed that we needed nothing. But that was due to a 4 hour layover, so we could take a long hard look at where we were going.

Edited: 21 August 2017, 18:32
UK
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 hour connecting flight in Frankfurt Airport

FRA hasn't (yet?) got itself as well organised as my usual transfer airport, Schiphol. At Schiphol it is now totally consistent. If you arrive from somewhere on the trusted list you don't re-clear security, ever. Arriving from the UK I know I can keep my water bottle at Schiphol, always, without fail. At FRA it seems to be hit and miss, and from what I've been reading it seems to be "miss" more often than "hit". My water bottle has always ended up in the bin at FRA.

Edited: 22 August 2017, 00:39
UK
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 hour connecting flight in Frankfurt Airport

" My water bottle has always ended up in the bin at FRA."

I should clarify that's on UK-to-Schengen connections. I've not had to re-clear security going in the other direction.

Reply to: 1 hour connecting flight in Frankfurt Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted