We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Multiple-entry Schengen Visa

Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Multiple-entry Schengen Visa

Some countries in Europe which are not in the Schengen area let travellers in who have valid multiple-entry Schengen Visa. For example, if someone is planning to go to France and Cyprus. They can apply for a 2-entry Schengen Visa from France and use it for entering Cyprus too instead of applying for 2 single-entry visa from both France and Cyprus.

I am just curious if the Schengen state really approves this behaviour (or even care about where you use this visa as long as you visit them once with it) or that when they grant a multiple-entry visa, they only do it for allowing you to enter their own territories.

49 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
672 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Multiple-entry Schengen Visa

The advice is as follows:

"In cases where the applicant will be travelling to one and only one Schengen country, the applicant has to apply at the appropriate embassy/consulate of the certain country.

If the applicant is planning to visit two or more Schengen countries, it is highly recommended to be applying for the visa in the embassy/consulate of the country you will be residing in for most of the travelling days, referred to as the main destination.

In case there is no main destination but just a random visit to several Schengen countries, the applicant has to apply for the visa in the embassy/consulate on the first Schengen country he/she will enter according to the itinerary."

In reality, provided that you can give a reasonable itenary that adheres to one of the above criteria then you should be fine. They will unlikely be doing any checking of the use of the visa once it is issued although they might glance back on its use when you apply for a future visa.

For example, your itenary might be to fly into Northern Spain, spend most of your time in France, and leave from Belgium. You could and arguably should apply to France, but you would normally never have any immigration inspection in France. This is perfectly valid, and would not count against you in the future.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Multiple-entry Schengen Visa

<I am just curious if the Schengen state really approves this behaviour (or even care about where you use this visa as long as you visit them once with it)>

If non-Schengen countries like Cyprus or Croatia allow you to enter with a Schengen visa, then you can do that. The country that issued the Schengen visa neither approves nor disapproves of this.

<or that when they grant a multiple-entry visa, they only do it for allowing you to enter their own territories.>

You are granted a Schengen visa for the purpose you state when you apply for it. You must state *truthfully* what your purpose is, and use the visa for that purpose. If your purpose is a tourist trip, you must apply to the country which is your main destination (the country where you will stay longest), and that country must be the one where you *actually* stay longest.

If you are given a multiple-entry visa that is valid for longer than needed for your original purpose, you can use it for further trips as you like. These later trips can be to any Schengen country or countries. You are not limited to the country that issued the visa.

For example:

If you apply to France for a visa for a 2-week trip to France, and France gives you a multiple-entry visa valid for 6 months, you can (after your trip to France) make further trips to the Schengen Area (any country) as you like until the end of the 6 months.

Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Multiple-entry Schengen Visa

@ plunet

It makes sense and I heard some of that from people before. I even have a friend who almost never adhered to these guidelines for years and he is still getting visas.

However my question is not that. I'm asking about going to a Schengen country and a non-Schengen country using a 2 or multiple-entry Schengen visa.

Edited: 24 June 2017, 10:39
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Multiple-entry Schengen Visa

The countries you mention, like Cyprus are in the EU, just not in Schengen yet, so they have discretion but not reciprocity yet. For example, a Cypriot visa wouldn't let you enter France. So why would the French care?

Hell you can enter Mexico if you hold a US visa or permanent residency in the EU, so it's quite a normal thing.

Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Multiple-entry Schengen Visa

@ Colin56

You make sense too. But I don't know if you're got my question.

I am not hiding my intention. But in Spain visa application form for example, they ask you the following 2 questions only:

1. Main purpose(s) of the journey

2. Number of entries requested

they don't ask you why you want more than 1 entry. If they do, then and only then you can tell them *truthfully* weather you want to go back to their country another time or you want to visit Cyprus instead.

Edited: 24 June 2017, 10:47
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Multiple-entry Schengen Visa

@ gbest7

I know

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Multiple-entry Schengen Visa

<The advice is as follows>

The rules for determining which country you apply to for a Schengen visa are not "advice". They are stated in the relevant EU legislation, i.e. the Community Code on Visas.

eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do…

See Article 5, paragraph 1.

<In reality, provided that you can give a reasonable itenary that adheres to one of the above criteria then you should be fine.>

No. If you are asked to supply an itinerary with your application, it must be *truthful*, not merely "reasonable" or plausible. You sign a declaration on the application form to acknowledge that you have not made any false statements.

See Annex I of the Visa Code (scroll down):

"I declare that to the best of my knowledge all particulars supplied by me are correct and complete. I am aware that any false statements will lead to my application being rejected or to the annulment of a visa already granted and may also render me liable to prosecution under the law of the Member State which deals with the application."

<They will unlikely be doing any checking of the use of the visa once it is issued>

Immigration control at the visa-holder's port of entry into the Schengen Area will check *carefully* that the visa is in the hands of its rightful owner, that it was not obtained fraudulently, and that it is being used for the stated purpose. This may include asking the traveller for proof that their main destination is actually the country which issued the visa (if entry is via a different country).

<they might glance back on its use when you apply for a future visa.>

The visa application process is much more serious and rigorous than you seem to realise.

Records are kept of all visa applications (including those refused) in the Visa Information System (VIS), and the VIS will be consulted as a matter of course each time a new visa application is made, to check the applicant's "visa record" …europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/…

https:/…Visa_Information_System

<For example, your itenary might be to fly into Northern Spain, spend most of your time in France, and leave from Belgium. You could and arguably should apply to France>

You MUST apply to France in this case. You do not have to enter the Schengen Area via the country that issued the visa, but you MUST apply for and use the visa in accordance with the rules.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Multiple-entry Schengen Visa

<@ Colin56 ... You make sense too. But I don't know if you're got my question.>

Thank you. I worked for the European Union for 26 years (I am retired now) and towards the end of my career I often had the Schengen documents on my desk at work. Some of my former colleagues are the people who wrote these rules :-)

<But in Spain visa application form for example, they ask you the following 2 questions only:

1. Main purpose(s) of the journey

2. Number of entries requested>

All Schengen countries use the same application form. See the first link in post 7 and scroll down to Annex I.

<they don't ask you why you want more than 1 entry.>

You can always ask for "multiple entry" even if you only plan one trip. If you want "multiple entry" so that you can make a side-trip to Cyprus, then you can enclose an itinerary that shows that (or even just include a statement with your supporting documents saying that you would like to visit Cyprus as well).

The consular authorities will then see why you are asking for "multiple entry" and will give you that (if you are lucky !). They will know that Cyprus (and some other non-Schengen countries) accept Schengen visas as equivalent to their own.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Multiple-entry Schengen Visa

But as there are no INTERNAL immigration checks there is no record how long you spent in France so in practice it makes no difference.

Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Multiple-entry Schengen Visa

@ Colin56

I appreciate your effort and that you worked for the EU. Maybe I'll write to you when I go to Brussels.

Here is the thing: you said "if you're lucky". Does this mean that the consular authorities of Spain will think to themselves "hey, this man isn't intended to go back to Spain again later on in a few weeks/months. Instead he want to utilise the visa that we grant him to visit a non-Schengen state. And since his 2nd visit (whether immediately or after a few weeks/months) is not to Spain, we don't care about granting him the kind of visa that allows him to do that"

I might be exaggerating to make the point here. But I think you see what I mean. I am not questioning whether they will grant the visa or not. I am asking if they care about that or approve it. And as of this moment I'm not intended to tell them where I'll go next because they don't ask and because I may not have decided by the time of application where to go next and weather immediately or after a while. But I'll respect that they're the ones who granted me the visa and pay them a visit with it.

Reply to: Multiple-entry Schengen Visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted