We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport issuing country wrong. What should I do

Tokyo, Japan
6 posts
Save Topic
Passport issuing country wrong. What should I do

Hello everyone,

I live in Japan and I purchased a ticket from China Southern airline from Haneda to LAX. but on the conformation it says Nationality: United States Of America but under document issuing country it says Japan. Also When I tried to correct this with them they said I didn't have my middle names on the ticket as in my passport so they can't fix it. Will any of this prevent me from boarding.

P.S. I have two middle names and systems usually don't recognize both so that's never been a problem flying in the past.

Edited: 17 April 2017, 09:07
16 replies to this topic
Koronadal...
Level Contributor
874 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport issuing country wrong. What should I do

what country are you a citizen of?

Tokyo, Japan
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport issuing country wrong. What should I do

I am an American citizen and hold an American passport.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,319 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport issuing country wrong. What should I do

I assume you booked direct?

Have you tried to fix it yourself under Manage my trip? …csair.com/CZPortal/dyn/portal/DisplayPage…

CZ doesn't ask for middle names when you book so it won't be an issue.

Tokyo, Japan
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport issuing country wrong. What should I do

Yea I bought the ticket online from the airline. I have tried to do that but the only personal information they let you update is what frequent flyer miles program you use that's it.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
23,445 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport issuing country wrong. What should I do

There must be some way of amending your passport details. Otherwise what would people do who renew their passport before they fly?

UK
Level Contributor
8,494 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport issuing country wrong. What should I do

Middle names don't need to be in the booking - don't know why someone would have told you otherwise.

So - the only thing that's wrong is that the issuing country of your passport... which I guess is the sort of mistake people make all the time because booking systems don't always make it very clear that you need to put the country of the authority that issued your passport (USA in this case), not the place where it was physically issued (which I presume is a consulate in Japan).

You don't actually have to provide passport information until you check in (airlines let you provide it at the time of booking merely for convenience). You will probably be able to correct the information during online check-in. If not you will be able to get it corrected at the check-in desk.

I wouldn't fret!

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,722 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport issuing country wrong. What should I do

I always thought that issuing country is the country where you got the passport. Otherwise why would there be two separate questions?

My current US passport only says "nationality" not where it was issued (which was London) but I am fairly certain that my previous passport (also issued in London) had an "issued" category which said either London or United Kingdom.

I really can't see that there is going to be a problem. The US government knows whether your passport is valid or not and the airline isn't going to reject you if you have a valid passport.

Middle names really don't matter on airline tickets. IME, the airlines usually mangle my surname which is longish and hyphenated.

I have yet to be refused passage.

Edited: 17 April 2017, 13:23
Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
10,024 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport issuing country wrong. What should I do

You can have different nationality and issuing country. My passport some time ago was issued by the consulate in The Hague and it was labelled as such. It was unique to travel for almost 5 years putting The Hague as the issuing authority.

While none of us can guarantee anything, I think you will be fine. They may be able to correct it at checkin, but I'd say to do that only if there's an issue.

Tokyo, Japan
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport issuing country wrong. What should I do

Hello again,

I spoke to a good friend of mine who has worked in Narita airport for most of his career in the control tower. He said none of this should effect my ability to board. He mentioned that this passport inaccuracy probably won't even be on the ticket. he said so long as I have a valid passport and a ticket and the number and name match up then I should be OK and that its best not even to put in middle names because the can complicate things further.

Just to clarify the reason they couldn't edit my info was because my middle names weren't on the ticket and they were on my passport and because of that discrepancy they wouldn't update my information.

Also to clarify my passport was issued in america not the consulate here in Japan (sorry my first post)

Tokyo, Japan
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport issuing country wrong. What should I do

Hey guys I'm in LA and everything worked out just fine. They did ask to see some additional ID (residence card since I live in Japan) but that might have been for visa.

Reply to: Passport issuing country wrong. What should I do
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted