We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KLM: Premium Economy class?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
1 review
KLM: Premium Economy class?

Do KLM have a Premium Economy class? It appears not:

https:/…index.htm

I was looking at an AMS-NRT flight with KLM. But standard Economy seems to be in a 10-across Boeing 777. I was looking to pay a bit more for less of a crush.

23 replies to this topic
Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,848 posts
72 reviews
1. Re: KLM: Premium Economy class?

No. They have "Economy Comfort" which is a standard economy seat with extra leg room. They cost extra and you can reserve one at the time of booking.

Doesn't help with the 10 across though!

Edited: 17 January 2017, 12:06
Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
92 reviews
2. Re: KLM: Premium Economy class?

You may not see this class when first booking. If you book economy, there is a point in the process where it offers you an upgrade and tells you what the cost is. I flew this on KLM and thought it worth the extra $125 for a 9 hour flight. The extra legroom matters to me. Also, if you are in this class you may get offered an upgrade to Business upon online check in. The offer was $275 for me on one of the 4 , 9 hour legs but I have heard from others that it can differ in amount.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
1 review
3. Re: KLM: Premium Economy class?

Thanks, T11223.

I am more interested in seat width. So the KLM PE class is not for me.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,780 posts
81 reviews
4. Re: KLM: Premium Economy class?

Are you starting from Amsterdam or London? From Amsterdam you could take the train to Dusseldorf and take ANA premium Economy ana.co.jp/wws/…

Air France also has PE. ANA also fly direct to Tokyo from London as does BA, both have PE.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
5. Re: KLM: Premium Economy class?

For width, using the dates from your previous thread, JAL economy is wider than KLM premium & BA premium. That route (LON-TYO) uses a 777 configured with, and marketed as, "sky wider economy" -- the stats

KLM - comfort (premium) = 35 x 17.5

https:/…

JAL Economy = 34 x 19

In Premium, on a 1 stop, Air France are 38 x 19 and only 8 across a 777 as opposed to KLM's 10 across

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
6. Re: KLM: Premium Economy class?

Hah! - just did a dummy booking on KLM, selecting seat 11c in comfort . . . . And, it came up with

WARNING! -- This seat may have reduced comfort due to tray of adjacent seats!!!

And no, it wasn't a bulkhead.

Marvelous - a comfort seat with reduced comfort in a 10 across "comfort" cabin. That just has to be an award winner. My daily chuckle!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
1 review
7. Re: KLM: Premium Economy class?

Thanks JBB.

So JAL economy is as good as some PE offerings from other airlines?

Worth considering when I compare prices.

The JAL web site is very flaky though. Doesn't work at all on Firefox, locked up on IE.

Anyone here called a JAL booking centre? I presume they have English speaking staff for UK callers.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
10,100 posts
8. Re: KLM: Premium Economy class?

On KLM check out for last minute upgrade offers from Economy to Business Class. Just booked an upgrade for Mrs. La0wei from Amsterdam to Shanghai for just 400 Euros at online check-in.

That's certainly worth the money and if that works on the way back as well she paid just € 1400 for a long-haul return flight in C. A perfect deal for me any time.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,780 posts
81 reviews
9. Re: KLM: Premium Economy class?

It is not that well known but you can book an extra seat on KLM. It is for passengers of size (like me).

https:/…passengers_of_size.htm

"If you compromise a portion of the adjacent seat(s) on a KLM operated flight, we advise you to book a second adjacent seat in advance. A second adjacent seat can only be purchased by calling KLM Telephone Reservations. You will receive a 25% discount on the second seat. If, upon departure, another seat was available in the same travel class on your flight, you can apply for a refund of the costs of the second seat."

And actually the cost is lots less than the price of the ticket you originally booked as they don't put taxes and fees on. I recently did this on a flight to GLA and subsequently got €94 of the €270 I paid initially.

You have to do this via their call centre not online as do for the refund. You can also pay extra to have 2 economy comfort seats using the same method if you want.

Even if you don't get a refund then it will likely cost less than a PE ticket if all you want is extra width.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
1 review
10. Re: KLM: Premium Economy class?

I am not a person of size myself. I'm more worried about sitting next to a PoS on a 10-across 777 in KLM Economy.

Reply to: KLM: Premium Economy class?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted