We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minimum connecting time at DFW

New Mexico
Level Contributor
10,280 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Minimum connecting time at DFW

Looking at the DFW website, I cannot find the MCT for domestic to international. Can you tell me where to look or what it is?

AA just made a schedule change so we now arrive at 1747 from ABQ and scheduled to depart for LHR at 1905.

Since I booked direct with AA, I assume it meets the MCT, although I usually like to have 2+ hours at DFW.

Thanks for any input or advise.

6 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,982 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Minimum connecting time at DFW

I agree with you. I have not tried it with AA but with other airlines if they do the schedule change you can call and ask for a longer layover. Did you try that . 2 hours in advance for an international flight is a good plan

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minimum connecting time at DFW

The legal minimum connection time is a function of the fare rules. Pay services such as Expertflyer and KVS Tool will provide the fare rules. Safe to say the ticket does in fact meet the minimum connection times. Legal connection or not, a short connection time increases the opportunity to miss the connecting flight. Evaluate alternate options via AA and call AA to discuss the alternate options. An earlier flight from ABQ would be a good option. And do keep in mind flight changes are common so expect more flight changes.

Edited: 11 January 2017, 21:27
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,982 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minimum connecting time at DFW

>>>The legal minimum connection time is a function of the fare rules

say what ? Can you please explain

New Mexico
Level Contributor
10,280 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minimum connecting time at DFW

I always thought the mct was set by the airport.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,272 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minimum connecting time at DFW

The legal minimum connection time is a function of the fare rules

Yeah, that's not correct. Your fare has to abide by the MCT rules.

2hrs, assuming everything is on time, should be plenty at DFW for domestic to international. The legal MCT is 40mins for DOM-DOM and DOM-INT.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,098 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Minimum connecting time at DFW

If everything goes smoothly, your <80 minutes layover gives you plenty of time to make the LHR flight. I would prefer a connection with more time though since you don't want to miss an international flight.

MCT is an airport operating issue. Fare rules don't set the MCT. In other words, you can't pay for a higher basis fare so you can have a shorter connection time.

Reply to: Minimum connecting time at DFW
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted