We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key West Florida

Franklinville, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Key West Florida

Seems like I am not the only looking for Resort in this town. I banked my weeks and nothing they want cash. There is no one who has put their unit up for other RCI member. Oh well another rip off. Sorry I paid my mantenance Rci dues and what ever.Do not want Orlando.Was there last year. Time to sell!! do not laugh. I know thats a rip off also. Just call me Down on RCI!!!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,098 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Key West Florida

Sometimes the key is to be flexible as to travel dates and destinations - or if it comes to it you could just rent a week and save your week for another time.

Personally we got very tired of RCI and II and dropped both of them.

www.endless-vacation-rentals.com/main.taf…

AARP members get nice discounts.

We have rented in the past for Sint Maarten, Aruba and Sunny Isles, Florida

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Key West Florida

Sorry you're not finding much to your satisfaction Shirley. Yes being flexible and planning as far in advance as possible are the keys to happiness with RCI.

It's not a ripoff, just a fact of limited inventory and more recently, valuation of the exchange process creating some new found problems for many TS owners.

Good luck on selling. I would encourage you to stop in at the Timeshare Users Group . . . www.tug2.net . . . where you might find decent solutions to your challenges with your ownerships.

Best wishes to you.

Franklinville, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Key West Florida

I Gave 3 months .If that is not being flexible. I think Rci is selling units to big companys and they put their EXCs in them and thats why depositing your unit does not make you able to exchange except Orlando

Some one is making BIg Bucks at our loss.

Just my opinion Need some sun Shirley

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Key West Florida

Interesting about Key West,once we traded into there and was told, no one ever trades into our place. This was in the summer. To me a resort gets stale if no one can trade into it. Maybe 3months is not enough. what about Las Vegas or Kauai or Mauai? Just do it 6 months or so. It is getting harder to trade into places.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Key West Florida

Shirley are a you aware of the outcome of the class action suit against RCI and what was at the crux of the case? New policies and procedures have been put into place, largely to protect TS owners but it also set new processes when if you don't know how to work the system could hurt your ability to trade.

I sincerely encourage you to join TUG and try to figure out how to best use your ownership in conjunction with RCI. That said, if you're set on dumping what you own, best wishes as many are not even finding new owners when giving them away.

Arizona
Level Contributor
893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Key West Florida

difficult to exchange sometimes, but we have done ok so far with getting nice units in new orleans, Olympic peninsula washington, Antigua and next month Kona.

hoping for either key west, BVI, or another island in the carrib for 2013. I put in a lot of options and a wide time range - be flexible and the exchange can happen.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Key West Florida

Looks like only 3 RCI properties listed in Key West on the RCI website. I would have to believe you would have to have HUGE trading power to get into one of those. We bought in Key West 10 years ago, never trade, just rent it out when needed. I heard it is one of the most desired places next to Hawaii.

Dubuque, Iowa
Level Contributor
110 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Key West Florida

So glad I don't have to deal with the price of a timeshares .. I get to use others unused timeshares at half the cost.... I haven't heard anything good about having a timeshare.. More troubles and lot's of money....

Good luck with getting what u want when u want..

Yes keywest is the best place to travel 2... cheaper and shorter time of travel then hawaii...

Florida
Level Contributor
24 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Key West Florida

My Timeshare is in Marathon, one hour north of Key West, and have owned for over 16 years. Haven't swapped out but about 5 times, and have used RCI but know what you are saying. I, too, have problems once I bank my unit, to find a decent place to take my family to instead. We need a place for a family of 5 in which 4 are adults. Most units I can get don't fit everyone, so haven't banked again lately. RCI does contact me regularly to bank for people like yourself that are wanting the Keys, but since I can't get atleast a beach to accomadate all of us, I pass. Seems to be too few to be had. My week is Week 21 which is Memorial Day most years. so we use it if only for the weekend.

Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Key West Florida

We are long time RCI members ( 10+) years. We learned, early, that Key West is one of those places where TS owners don't bank their weeks, they USE them. We love Key West and find other ways to stay there and save our time share trading for non-KW travel. We have traded for excellent properties in Las Vegas, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale and Saint Augstine. Their new trading power system has extended the use of our TS trades! Planning ahead helps.