I was hesitant to stay with some of the negative reviews however the Hotel was clean, centrally located, plenty of parking, let us check in early, friendly staff. Bedding was comfortable Kitchen Cabinets were clean, very quiet accommodations.
My family and I were staying at the Grand Lodge Crested Butte in an AirBNB within the hotel. The hotel itself is decent, well located, and has plenty of free parking and until the point an unsafe incident arose, I was happy with the stay and staff. Late Saturday Afternoon on August 14 some sort of strong chemical/disinfecting smell was permeating the hallway on the first floor. We were resting in our room and could hear people coughing in the hallway on the first floor for 20 minutes before we opened the door to some overpowering fumes. The door to the service area for the housekeeping staff was on that hallway and it was very clear that staff was aware of the problem and not really doing much to fix it or handle the situation appropriately since they were struggling to get a grasp on the situation. It was impossible to pass thru the hallway by our room and not cough at the fumes. After the fact, the hotel via the AirBNB owner claims via the hotel that this was “All Natural” item that broke open and flooded the floor with fumes after the fact is irrelevant and given the way they handled the situation, I don’t know how factual that claim is. The point at which guests are coughing and gagging in the hallway, you have a responsibility to do more. It was after multiple visits to front desk to make them aware of the situation both in the hallway and in the room it was well over 30 minutes from the start of the incident that they began to ventilate the hallway. The woman at the front desk said that housekeeping was “Taking care of it” when asked a second time 15 minutes later. The front desk is 200 feet away on the same floor from this hallway. At no point was she concerned about our wellbeing during the incident and although the claim of this being a perfume item that fell and broke open or at all apologetic, the hotel had lost all credibility to handle the situation safely and was clearly poorly trained. Given the staff did not have our safety in mind or the situation under control, we chose to quickly vacate the room and hotel rather than expose ourselves to the fumes/coughing. They did nothing to proactively offer us another room to keep us safe from the fumes until well after we had left the hotel and complained to the AirBNB owner. Although we are not technically “guests” of the hotel directly, the incident took place on their property in their rooms. Its very revisionist history to say “they were working on a room” when no one made that offer at any time during the process or while we were in the hotel. I take responsibility for not asking explicitly for that, but at that point was too frustrated with front desk agent and hotel response to want to stay. My advice to the GM is this: 1) If you have an incident involving fumes of any kind to the point the everyone who passes the hallway is coughing, you have a responsibility to proactively clear the area and ensure the safety of your guests. This would include offering new rooms immediately upon the discovery of the incident. The hotel had plenty of space given it was summertime, again lack of training or compassion on the part of the staff. Saying you were “Arranging for a room” after the fact and not communicating that to us in any way is simply CYA after the fact, and not any real effort to help during the situation. I understand the situation was unfolding, but this is a hazmat situation whether the fumes are “natural” or not 2) Given your staff did not know what to do, you should call the fire department for help and ensure the area is secured and being properly cleared and until it is safe. 3) Your staff should have acted much faster and should not have taken 30-45 minutes to have fans up in the hallway and proactively been knocking on doors to inform guests they should leave until the situation is under control. It was in an very active hallway that the staff/housekeeping pass through next to a service area and is a secondary entrance from the parking lot for guests. They were aware of this situation for some time before there was any evidence of them trying to ventilate and/or isolate the fumes. 4) An apology for the inconvenience and proactively reaching out to a guests who had to leave a room on short notice and move to a hotel two doors down at their own expense would have helped. After reaching out directly to the hotel general manager on that Sunday to discuss the situation and leaving a voice mail I have waited 48 hours to post this since I have not received a response. To potential guests, please message me on TripAdvisor if you have any questions or would like me share more details.…
We have stayed at this hotel in the summer for many years. I know the pandemic was responsible for some of the changes but we felt it had gone down hill a bit. We had a King suite which we have had many times. It was fine but getting quite shabby. The plaster above the curtain area as starting to come down, the rug seemed old and dated. The restaurant was closed except for a minimal to go breakfast. No cookies in the pm like their used to be. The pool area was well maintained but not enough umbrellas as MCB is getting warmer and warmer. No AC which is typical of mountain towns but one lonely fan did not do the job. It is also quite a bit more expensive now for less amenities.
This is a long-overdue review! We stayed at the Grand Lodge almost a year ago in September of 2020. There was a mix-up with our room leaving us looking at a long, hallway-like set-up (with one window overlooking the garbage bins) that was way too small for our needs. The manager upgraded us to a huge top-floor room with an enormous kitchen, dining room, 2 bathrooms, master bedroom and a pull-down queen size trundle bed in the living room. What's more, they only charged us for the rate for the smaller room. Everyone on staff during our stay was delightful and helpful. We celebrated my son's 21st birthday in such style. We couldn't have been more thrilled!
Great room with a gorgeous view. Comfy with sufficient amenities. Here during shoulder season so not much open but we didn’t care. However, we did miss not being able to enjoy the pool, spa, restaurant and fire pit.