We had an unexpected stay here when we got off track on a road trip.
* Clean room
* Attractive grounds, hallways, etc.
* Excellent restaurant (although not cheap)
* On site pool and fitness center
* Great location
* Window didn't open/stuffy (did have a/c inside, which worked well, but I would have preferred some fresh air)
* A lot of stinging insects (woke up covered in bites)
* Bathroom had issues - hot water didn't work, toilet plugged easily and often, smell of gasoline inside
* Staff was a little rude
* Room was facing the street - VERY noisy, cars/partiers etc, and it was a weeknight
* I'm used to traveling in Latin America, and for this price range I wouldn't expect the Sheraton. :) It was good enough, if not better, for our needs, but we found better, at the same or lower price, elsewhere in the country
We stayed here for one night on our way to the beach. Our room was spacious and clean. There are 4 of us but the room could handle 6. It had a double, 2 twins and a bunk bed. With breakfast, we paid $95 US. The free WiFi was the best we have found so far here. This made it good for doing some research on our next move. The food was average.
I have been staying at the Hotel Guadalupe since I bought property in Tilaran in 1993. Over the years Luis and his family have maintained and built the best hotel in town. The location is very nice, a block off of the plaza with parking inside a gate if you are renting a car. It is also within walking distance of the bus station on the far side of the plaza.
All the rooms are secure, clean and comfortable, and the showers warm to hot. The hotel provides cable TV and wireless Internet, which is also nice as you are starting or ending your day. The recent addition of a swimming pool and workout room is also nice. The staff is friendly and will help you in any way they can, including doing your laundry. The food in the restaurant is tasty and healthy. Above all, the rooms are reasonably priced.
Many English speaking travelers may not be familiar with Hotel Guadalupe because they stay in resorts on the lake, or near the volcano, but Hotel Guadalupe is well known among Ticos, and travelers coming to the area to study the local wildlife. If you are coming to the Volcano Arenal-Tilaran-the Lake area, and you want to save money compared to some of the resorts, you can't do better than Hotel Guadalupe.
Guadalupe Hotel was well recommended and it did not disappoint.
We needed a restful place to sleep west of Lake Arenal after a long day on the road.
Our room on the second floor was large, clean, and new.
The hotel has a very nice central location and a restaurant on the first floor.