First the pros:
- Excellent estate, long walks, singing birds, beautiful flowers
- Sampath and his assistants, they are making the impossible possible - They are the reason this place is not shut down. Their commitment is the only reason because the management doesn't seem to care. If it weren't for Sampath and his relentless need to help customers, it would have been an unbearable 2 days for us.
- The management was kind enough to postpone my booking when I approached them with an unavoidable circumstance that was stopping me from travelling
- The management was kind enough to not charge us 600 INR for 2 coffees and a sandwich we ordered after the unhappiness I showed about the state of the sofas
- The sofas were stained, the least the management can do is at least get the covers changed. Pale-coloured sofas with brown, disgusting stains
- There were cobwebs near door bolts
- The carpets and doormats looked dirty. Why keep old stuff to show off if you can't maintain them?
- A broken fan regulator set at high speed
- A leaking faucet in the bathroom, meaning we had to close the main supply off every time we used the washroom
- Un-ironed bathrobes
- A huge jacuzzi with luke warm water, back rests that fall off
- Old creamer satchets that were lumpy and we couldn't even make ourselves a cup of coffee
- No labels on the coffee and team jars, meaning we had to smell the jar every time to check if we opened the one with coffee bags or tea bags
- No spoons given to stir the coffee
- No intercom (why charge us so much money if for every little thing, I need to call you from my phone and if there is no network, we have to walk down to the main building for help or wait for the network to start working)
- No coffee except filter coffee available and being a South Indian I can distinguish between good and really bad coffee. I have had better coffee out of a vending machine
- We stayed 2 nights and hence had 2 breakfasts and 2 dinners. Except for dinner on our first night there, every meal was an ordeal. I was in Karnataka and I had to leave dosa uneaten, the idlis were hard as rocks and so were the vadas, tasteless chutneys. Why not employ a good chef?
- Over-priced room service with very few options. Also get a real menu please, not A4 printouts that are not even punched into a file.
- Supposedly great trails created by some world- renowned Italian mountaineer. That man may have done a good job but the management did nothing to keep the trails approachable. Except for the Yellow trail, none are accessible till someone from the establishment won't take you along. Overgrown bushes and hey, what about using more than a small can of paint to mark the trails? Try using some of the money you charge us to buy a fresh can and start repainting those trees with some directions.
Management - Utilize the skills that Sampath brings quietly to build customer experience. Right now all he does is mend it, thanks to lack of upkeep. Invest in a good chef, a well-bound menu, a few good sofas, a clean carpet, new doormats that are water absorbent, a plumber, some real lights on the pathways for people to walk at night to your open air restaurants.
Lastly, I will never go back to this much-hyped and utterly disappointing place. The only saving grace is nature and that was a gift to all of us. A Taj establishment would charge me 7000 INR and give me a FAR FAR better experience than what we had to go through by shelling out almost 17000 INR per night.
After a long lockdown and spending almost 6 months at home, I and my wife decided to go to Coorg. After doing lots of research keeping Covid-19 and our safety in mind, we booked the Old Kent resort. We stayed there in 3rd week of October2020
Everything went per plan. We drove in our Honda City via Neelamangala-Hasan road following Googlemaps. There was absolutely no issue on the way. Road was in good condition except few kilometers here and there with little bumpy road.
On the way we stopped at Swathi Delicacy restaurant which is very neat and clean. The restaurant guys take order in your car and serve the food there, so you don’t risk yourself exposing to too many people in the restaurant. We reached Coorg in around 6 hours from Bangalore. The road connecting the resort from the main road (approx. one Kilometer) is quite narrow and risky to drive- specially when you are driving in Sedan. For few minutes I felt that my car was struck and I might not be able to drive further but somehow we reached the resort .
The experience at the resort was very good- very courteous staffs who made our check-in quite smooth and allotted a cottage named “Foxley Wood”. The room was quite spacious with extra-large bathroom, good toiletries (no shampoo) and great view from the room. Breakfast was included in the room rent and there was no choice for dinner as we had to go for buffet. Both had enough items ( taste of food was OK) if you love south Indian food. But lunch was a-la-carte (there was no buffet) which was quite expensive almost equal to 4 star rate in Bangalore, you might spend almost Rs1000/ head even for lunch. The resort is truly picturesque, wide spread cottages, and neatly maintained. Most of the staffs were wearing mask and following Covid guidelines. Since we also went well prepared taking our own care like enough sanitizer, surface spray, few towels, bed sheets etc , we returned quite safe and healthy.
The most horrible part of the room was the bed mattress which might be 10 years old and completely in sagged condition. Both the nights we could not sleep due to severe back pain which spoiled our vacation. We have given the feedback to the resort folks and hope they take it positively and try to improve. Except the mattress condition and due to which our painful night, we would have loved to visit this resort again. It is slightly expensive resort but the price is known before we book so no complain. Hope our review helps our fellow travelers specially those who are driving from Bangalore.
A nature lover's haven.. Loved the vintage decor and environment friendly room essentials. Keep up the good work & quality standards. Perfect blend of nature and luxury. Totally enjoyed my stay here..
special shoutout for the vintage decor and environmen friendly room essentials. Had a fantastic stay at this gorgeous property. Keep up the good work & quality standards. Totally recommend it for a memorable experience.
The best place for you to forget about all the city life! Engage in nature, a calming, peaceful, and quiet place for you to relax and enjoy the cool weather. The staff were very friendly. Food was great, they had both authentic Coorg style food and western style! We relaxed in the movie room for a few hours and they had almost all the collections of movies and had a hard time choosing which to watch! The resort had a plantation walk, where they showed us around their place and all the plants and fruits grown on their property! The only problem we had was at night walking back to our cottage. The pathway was very dim and a little scary. Other than that the whole experience was amazing! And would definitely recommend my friends, and family to visit Old Kent estate and spa.