Top Attractions in Guatavita
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- Guatavita is a municipality and town of Colombia in the Guavio Province
of the department of Cundinamarca. Guatavita is located 75 km northeast
of the capital Bogotá. It borders Sesquilé and Machetá in the north,
Gachetá and Junín in the east, Guasca and Sopó in the south and in the
west are Tocancipá and Gachancipá.
Before the Spanish conquest of the Muisca on the Altiplano Cundiboyacense,
the central plateau in the Colombian Andes, the area was inhabited by the
Muisca organized in their Muisca Confederation. Guatavita was ruled by a
cacique who was a powerful figure consulted by the zipas of Bacatá and the
zaques of Hunza. Guatavita was specialized in gold working. An important
temple honouring Sué, the Sun god in the religion of the Muisca was constructed
Modern Guatavita was founded on March 18th, 1593 by Miguel de Ibarra.
Guatavita was rebuilt on higher ground in the mid 1960s due to the construction
of the Tominé Reservoir, which intentionally flooded the area of the town.Written 22 March 2019
- This is a great experience at a great location. The captain was very knowledgeable and serviceable. The boat ride was fun and the wine and cheese board were excellent. Highly recommend this.Written 28 December 2021
- Had a great time in this bike tour, trails were what we were looking for and the scenery was incredible. Juan is an awesome guide and very punctual he really tailored our ride to our expectations, physical capabilities and bike experience.
I would highly recommend this to anyone wanting to have some fun in two wheels and enjoy the beautiful Colombian scenery.Written 22 May 2022
- Tons of fun and adventure discovering Colombia with this guys. They are very kind and you really can feel safe due their proffesionalism. We went to Colombia a month ago and it was very nice for us discovering new places in Guatavita and Santander.Written 3 June 2016
Frequently Asked Questions about Guatavita
- The best day trips from Guatavita according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Salt Cathedral and Guatavita Lake; Visiting the Towns with breackfast and lunch.
- Village and Lake Guatavita Day Tour + Optional Lunch
- Visit to Zipaquirá & Guatavita Private Tour from Bogotá (9 Hrs.)
- 5 Top Sights in Zipaquira and Guatavita in One Day from Bogota
- Zipaquirá Salt Cathedral + Guatavita Lagoon: Private Trip