Speciality Museums • Historic Sites
18 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
We perform checks on reviews.
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- LOved my visit to this place. Baeutiful buildings which are free to wander around on the outside, but the thing is the guided tour where you can enter the old factory and see how the boards was made. Very interesting and highly recommended. I went on a guided tour in finnsih, but the guide was kind enough to translate some parts to English and with the help of a self guide paper, it was internesting enough. I would have liked a full guided english tour, but those are needed to book ahead to be sure. All-in-all, go here! But do a guided tour!Written 9 June 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Pyhän Ristin Kirkko (Holy Cross Church) was built in 1913-1915. First it was a Russian military church, then a Lutheran church and nowadays an orthodox church. The building is extremely beautiful. It is situated within the precincts of an old barracks, only one kilometer from the downtown (Manski pedestrian street). However, I recommend that you walk still further from the church to see all beautiful houses in the old barracks area (around parks Prikaatinpuisto and Rykmentinpuisto).Written 20 October 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- After visiting World Heritage Site Verla near by, make small additional tour here. Art center is at old modern Church built in 1960s.
There is changing exhibition every year, so making it interesting place to visit annually. 2020 has limited opening, only July and present art from Pekka Halonen, Ferdinand von Wright and miscellaneous pieces from early 20th century.
Outside has Garden of Love, with sculptures.Written 22 July 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This oddly looking construction was completed in 1977. The building looks more like a sports hall than a church.
The interiors are not much different. The very modern altarpiece symbolizes Jesus and his apostles. The best part is the organ.Written 16 June 2020
- Helvi Honka (1903-1993) was a honorable Principal in Kouvola. Helvi Honka was a small woman but she was a strong leader in a big school for boys. Her statue was erected in front of the city library in 2007.Written 9 November 2019
- This quite small statue is located near Kouvola Main Library. It is easy to leave unnoticed.
The statue was designed and executed by Onni Pursiainen. He used his son Oiva as a face model. The monument was completed in 1968.Written 16 June 2020
- Korian sillat (Koria Bridges) is the name for two bridges over the River Kymi (Kymijoki). These bridges are important historical landmarks. The older bridge was built in 1870 and it is the oldest truss bridge in Finland. Besides, it is the only Finnish bridge made of cinder pig, e.g. iron made from a mixture of mill cinder with ore or crude metal. The newer bridge was built in 1925. It is one of the first Finnish bridges made of reinforced concrete (ferroconcrete). These bridges and the place are quite beautiful. There are two parking places next to these bridges. The address of the bigger parking place is Läntinen Ratatie 286 and the smaller one is situated at the beginning of Tammirannantie. There is a nice sitting place by the river.Written 13 April 2020
- Utti Fort (Utin vallit in Finnish) is an important part of Finnish war history. The fortification chain was built in 1790's to defend St. Petersburg which belongs to Russia nowadays. Under the command of General Alexander Suvorov, Russia built the Utti Fortress in 1791-1792.
The star-shaped Utti Fortress is 218 meters long and 172 meters wide. There have been 24 cannons in the fortress and the fortress could accommodate 400 solders. The fortress is very beautiful in an aerial picture. Unfortunately there isn't very much to see at ground level nowadays.
Utti Fort is situated 12 kilometers (about 16 minutes by car) to the east of the city center of Kouvola (between Kouvola and Lappeenranta). It is located almost next to Utti ABC gas station, on the other side of the main road number 6 (Kuutostie). If you are coming from the parking place of ABC Utti Kouvola, drive across the highway 6 to Ranta-Utintie and turn immediately to the left (Vallitie). Follow the road about 500-600 meters and you find a parking place. (Or you can turn to Ranta-Utintie from the main road 6 and to the right to Vallitie immediately after that.)
Utti Fort is accessible using public transportation, too. There is a bus stop named "Utintien risteys" a bit before ABC Utti Kouvola when you are coming from the direction of Kouvola.
Especially our teens loved this place. And if you are still more interested in war history, remember that there are an old military aircraft (Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6) and war memorials behind ABC Utti Kouvola.Written 12 May 2017
- Pioneeripuisto is an old garrison area in Koria, Kouvola. The Russians built 12 redbrick buildings there in 1911-1915. Finland got the independence in 1917. After that Pioneeripuisto was the garrison of Finnish pioneer soldiers in 1920-1994. Nowadays there are private homes there. There are historical buildings, some monuments or sculptures, beautiful parks and good walking or jogging routes in Pioneeripuisto. Pioneerimetsan luontopolku nature trail (read separate TripAdvisor reviews) starts from Pioneeripuisto. There is also a very good playground for children in Pioneeripuisto. I love this area. By the way, there is also another old garrison area with redbrick buildings in Kouvola. It is named Kasarminmäki. Remember to visit both of them. They are an important part of Finnish military history.Written 30 August 2020
- This historical watermill is 175 years old. There is also a very short (no more than one hundred meters) nature trail named Liito-oravan kierros (Circle Trail of Flying Squirrel) next to the mill. The riverside is a nice picnic place. You see small rapids and beautiful nature. There is also a pedestrian bridge over the River Jokelanjoki (Käyräjoki) there. On the other side of the river you see a very rare horizontal giant's cauldron (a glacial pothole). There is also a very cozy cafeteria named Sisustus-Kahvila Kaarnasydan there (read separate Tripadvisor reviews about it). Jokelan mylly is a beautiful place to take a rest and enjoy nature.Written 1 June 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Kouvola
- These places are best for sights & landmarks in Kouvola:
- World Heritage Site - Verla Groundwood and Board Mill
- Vuohijärven Nature- and Culture House
- Pyhän Ristin kirkko
- Main Church
- Helvi Honk Monument