Top Attractions in Playa Matapalo
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours • Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Admission tickets from €43.12
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- We were a bit disappointed with the beach sand which is from a volcanic source. It is a very long beach for those who like to walk it. The usual activities such as sunset cruises, diving and fishing are available. There are plenty of restaurants with good food. Within an hour drive is a great Diamante Eco Adventure Park with zip lines, a wolrd class animal sanctuary and other activities.Written 24 January 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Everything about a massage with Xochilt is so relaxing. I have been getting massages from her for four years. It is a very relaxing environment. A comfortable table. Calming music. Nice smelling lotions. I can’t wait for my next visit.Written 28 November 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Matapalo Beach , south of Quepos, (right off road ).. is a juxtaposition.
On the one hand the beach goes on for miles and miles.. On any given day.. it’s just you and the beach.
No lifeguards, signs warning of dangerous undertows, some Airbnb’s, several eateries.
We stayed at an Airbnb. Most homes are gated, have guard dogs or have been abandoned all together. You’ll see tourist and lots of locales.
Costa Rican law allows any citizen ,40 feet from your property or the Airbnb you’re renting to park themselves Within ear shot.
I mention this because it makes for a precarious
Scenario. NEVER EVER leave your property.. towels, shoes , etc.. you will not find them
Unless there’s a dog or a guard , you will get robbed.
That being said.. The beach is beautiful, dark volcanic sand( avoid light colored bathing suits, difficult to clean).. The weather is mostly Hot, Humid, with occasional bouts of rain( last for awhile)..
we had Monkeys ( 10 capucinos) jumping, pounding on the roof( a little scary).. don’t feed them! They are destructive.
We had several sloths( they carry ticks) never leave the trees, fun to watch them move, like a slow motion movie..
Our biggest concern were the bats . They are active in the evening , fly aggressively towards you.
While we were told not to worry( most locales tell tall tales , so do your homework..).. They do bite
They do carry rabies.. we managed them by focusing our very strong flashlights on them.
The uncertainty and crime in this tiny town
Gives you pause.. we enjoyed our days at the beach, but would not return.
If you are adventurous, you’re within a short drive from Quepos and Domincal.Written 29 December 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- After initially having a massage from one of the other businesses on the beach which was pretty average (we were actually were looking for Brisas Del Mar and were told by them that they worked for Brisas).. My wife and I did eventually find the genuine company so although unimpressed by our first experience we hesitantly decided to give it one more try with the real thing.
OMG - this was amazing.. Probably one of the best massages that I have ever had. My Masseuse was called Paula and if I could i would kidnap her and take her home.. just bliss.. amazing skills, technique and understanding of how to alleviate pain and tension.
We booked several times and felt fantastic after each massage. We are now home and missing the amazing massages we had. Thanks Paula come to London xWritten 10 December 2022
- Diamante is a great place/park. The grounds are clean and it is very organized. We were able to watch the morning sloth feeding, walk amongst butterflies and see the toucans up close. Cultural experience was fun and very informational.Written 29 January 2023
- They company is great! Came to us for the massage and were very flexible with their timings when rescheduled. Very professional and the massage itself was amazing. Would highly recommend and would do it again if returning!Written 16 July 2022
- The fresh air the sun and cool breezes from the ocean wow what a great place really enjoyed your time there and missed it when we came back home so we are booking againWritten 25 July 2020
- Highly recommend! We have dived all over the Caribbean and BVI's and this was hands down the best diving. We saw thousands of fish (unbelievable) numerous big turtles, lots of rays and eels. Our dive master was also the best (Andre) - I had an embarrassing slight panic attacked when we first jumped in and Andre was SUPER calming and enabled me to have an amazing dive. If you dive - this is a must do!Written 18 January 2023
- The massages in the spa were very relaxing and fulfilling. We had a couples massage and it was the best time spent together.Written 7 September 2022
- I absolutely loved our Catamaran experience! The only thing that made me nervous was booking an excursion internationally without being able to actually see the boat or company I was working with. These were my own reservations and nothing that Erick did made me think this way. He directed me to his social media and websites for more pictures and information. Erick answered all of my questions, was very attentive, showed up happy and excited for our group excursion. We ended up driving to a different beach and got on a giant catamaran which had a water slide, music, a bar and lunch, and so much room for everyone!
The boat was my family's favorite part of our trip and we're incredibly happy we choose to do this. We also got to experience snorkeling and some caves. Sunset on the boat was absolutely beautiful!Written 30 January 2023
- We’re had a fantastic day at buena vista hiking through the forest to a waterfall, zip lining above the canopy, water slide, horseback riding, and soaking in natural hot springs among other things. 100% recommend using Erick and his team. The transportation was safe, and air conditioned van. Martin was our private guide and did a fantastic job, was very knowledgeable and professional. Thank you!!!Written 14 January 2023
- Excellent service. Fun tour. Very knowledgeable and took good care of us.Wpuld recommend to anyone..Written 12 September 2022
- We met Crazy Frank on the beach outside of our resort (riu palace) and he was very friendly. We ended up booking a private tour with him to go to the rain forest (saw animals, got very close to a sloth, a lot of monkeys) , hanging bridge to a waterfall, eat a local lunch (yum) and go to the natural mud baths. Our tour guide Magdany was so awesome! We drove with him about 3.5 hours round trip and the whole ride he was telling us all about Costa Rica and the area we were in. He even stopped at a fruit stand on the side of the road and let us try different fruits we have never had before. 10000% recommend booking with them! We also booked a zipline through frank. Very good prices, much cheaper than the resort was offering!Written 5 June 2022
- Excellent relaxing massage by Hannia, unbeatable prices and stunning authentic environment. A must to when in the area!Written 28 September 2022
- We booked two excursions with Sloths Guanacaste Expedition through Wilton Lopez (agent on the Riu Guanacaste beach) - private deep sea fishing (half-day) and waterfalls/rainforest/volcano combo (full-day) - and were happy with the experience. Fishing was very good, we caught a big mahi-mahi and two small black tunas. Nice clean boat, friendly captain and his assistant (sorry, don't remember the names), plenty of cold drinks and snacks. The combo excursion offered a lot to see - Llianos de Cortez waterfall, rainforest with sloths, howler and capuchin monkeys and multi-colored frogs, horseback riding, hanging bridges and another waterfall in the mountain, and finally volcano mud treatment and relaxing sulfur bath, which was really pampering. Our tour guide was Alex - a very knowledgeable, easy-going guy and a good driver. Definitely recommended.Written 23 November 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Playa Matapalo
- The best day trips from Playa Matapalo according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Rio Celeste Hiking, Sloth Sanctuary & Llanos de Cortes Waterfall Tour
- Beach and Mountain Buggy Tour in Guanacaste
- Hiking Tour of La Leona Waterfall with Lunch
- Beach-mountain & Sloth Refuge Buggy Tour
- Wildlife Safari Tour
Playa Matapalo Attractions Information
|Local Time||Tuesday 1:15 AM|