Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- The ruins of the Viljandi Order Castle and the rope bridge were very interesting. There you could well imagine how the whole fortress could have been in the 13th -14th century. Children especially liked the old swing and the rope bridge, of course.Written 17 July 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- My wife and I spent 4-5 hours here and enjoyed it. We initially stopped at the Visitor Center and the woman working there was very helpful. She gave us maps, directions, recommendations and put us in contact with a company that rents canoes.
After that we walked the Beaver Trail that is near the lodge. We also rented a canoe and canoed on the Halliste River. Lastly we walked the Ingatsi Study Trail which takes you through bogs and has an observation tower. (The Visitor Center recommended the Ingatsi trail over the better-known Riisa Study Trail.)
Everything worked out well and we were glad we stopped.Written 2 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great place to visit with friends or family. Many people go there to hang out and spend time together. Nice and calm, worth a visit as it is very close to the city center.Written 22 July 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- It is a no-brainer. You like it or not, this seems a must to-do if you go in Viljandi. It's a suspended bridge ...Written 13 February 2023
- This place has a huge playground and a place to swim it’s great for kids. if you’re around the area come here and spend the dayWritten 8 March 2023
- It is a small charming museum dedicated to the local artist Paul Kondas. His naive paintings are cheerful but with an unusual twist.
The museum staff is very friendly. They will give you an introduction to his work and show you his double-sided paintings. Afterwards you can visit the museum on your own.
The big strawberries scattered around the town are a reference to his painting 'The Strawberry Eaters'.
Entrance price is 3€.Written 14 July 2019
- Well worth a stop at this hilltop gem of a church. Have a delightful walk around the grounds. It is on t he way to the train stationWritten 19 August 2022
- Center for traditional music seems to be an interesting place not only for music lovers, but just for about everybody - lots of cool stuff to see, bunch of concerts, exhibitions going on and cozy cafe with glass walls, gives you a unique view of Viljandi (good food also). Staff was very helpful, no problem with English.Written 9 October 2016
- The museum is quite small,but they have done a very nice job of portraying the history of Viljandi. When strolling in the old town, it is worth an hour's visit. I would suggest visiting the museum before touring the castle grounds. Having a bit of Viljandi history in mind will help you appreciate the castle.Written 18 January 2015
- Came to see the textile hangings by Prof. Anu Raud, unfortunately church was not open as planned. It is very large and situated in a lovely park that has several other things to visit. There are other textiles by Dr. Raud in the Estonian National Museum and she has had a special exhibit there also.Written 29 August 2020
- As the title says ... it is a refurbished Old water-tower. You will climb the stairs to take some height and observe all Viljandi from the top. Simple but nice!Written 13 February 2023
- The stairs down the lake shore are quite steep but definitely worth the walk. Along the way you will also see sculpture "Runner" which symbolizes the winner of the Grand Race around Lake Viljandi, traditional sports event since 1928. The same section includes columns of granite tiles that show the names of all winners.Written 2 October 2018
- Not the only pleasant piece of public art in Viljandi. A nice memorial and a pleasant diversion on a tour of the townWritten 25 August 2017
Frequently Asked Questions about Viljandi
Viljandi Attractions Information