40 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
We perform checks on reviews.
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Nature & Wildlife Areas • Other Outdoor Activities
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
Showing results 1-30 of 40
What travellers are saying
- Beautiful beach, great for swimming. Views are stunning. The car park is a decent size. Watch out for sheep on your drive over they like grazing on the side of the road and I recommend going to the bathroom before you go because wow those porter potties are disgusting but decided to still give 5 star because the beach itself is worth it.Written 13 September 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Kevin was a brilliant guide and have to say he made the visit memorable. It's a small aquarium but Kevin brings it to life. It was clear that the aquarium's inhabitants are indeed enjoying a holiday (as opposed to captivity) and very well cared for. I learnt lots and in particular loved seeing and hearing about the starfish. I also loved the photographic displays relating to the history of Achill. Well worth a visit.Written 27 October 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Whether brave enough to do it by bike or simply enjoy by car , the views on this route are breathtaking. Take plenty of time and allow for stops with photo opportunities and try to aim for a clear day to get full benefit.Written 19 March 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A pretty beach with streams running down into the ocean. While you can certainly swim there, it seems to me you’d want a wet suit. It was a pleasant stop along our journey. There seemed to be a small path to the top of a steep hill next to the beach up to what appeared to be an abandoned building at the top, so if you’re looking for beach and a hike this could be a fun place to spend more time. Down by the beach there were portable toilets there, though they were out of toilet paper and not clean while we were there, but at the top was a permanent toilet building and it was much cleaner and had toilet paper.Written 13 August 2023
- This is my idea of a perfect walk/climb. Scenery unreal, gentle bog land underfoot, and definitely the best signposted walk I’ve been on. I only wish I lived closer to it as I would walk it every week.Written 3 September 2023
- Stunning beach. Crystal clear water and white sand. Very safe for the kids to play and swim and the adults got some lovely swims in too. We were there in August and no jellyfish or anything else around. Sand dunes and a little river also for the small ones made it a great place to hang out. Big grassy area to park with a fabulous coffee and food van. GAA goals on the sandy area also so bring a ball or a hurl!Written 22 August 2023
- The number of houses that lie here in ruins is quite spectacular and the stonework in each cottage very striking. Each cottage seems to bear the same style as if one builder put them all up. Compare them with any other ruined cottage and you'll see the stones here look very different.
There is some uncertainty about the history here. Would love to know more.Written 31 August 2023
- Steep road and lots of sheep along the road to the top. Be sure to have good breaks because you’ll need them on the way down. That said if it’s not totally cloudy you should make the trek and see the amazing views. One side looks over Keel Beach and the other side looks over Dooega. Parking is right beside some large antennas and beside it is a path to take an additional hike to the top of a higher hill. We didn’t do that because the top of that climb was in the clouds and the wind was blowing very hard. It’s a fun side trip if you have time and a reliable car.Written 13 August 2023
- Ruin of a tower, located just next to a road. Nice view of it's not too foggy. It is definitely worth visiting after reading at least a bit about GrainneWritten 9 June 2021
- After 3 nights in this site I was sorry leaving.. Lovely relaxed site and very children friendly. With a gem of a beach within walking distance ..I got my drivers mirror broke in travel but 30 mins after arriving Joe and one of his friends were over with a mirror and fixed it for me.. I could not fault this site what so ever and without question will be back..Written 15 July 2019
- Achill Secret Garden is beautiful on many levels: its old and beautiful trees, the landscaped gardens, the colourful flowers, (happy) insects, fascinating smells, the rich vegetable gardens, sculptures ... not to mention the lovely owners. If you are vaguely interested in botany, gardening, arts, aestethics and friendly people, make sure you visit Achill Secret Garden.
worth aWritten 30 July 2019
- Achill's heritage center is fantastic. Very rich place and tells in detail the life of the people who lived there. Vincent English is the owner and as a guide he can take you wherever you wish and tell the fascinating stories of each place. Simply a must see! Still has a gift shop with several local souvenirs that you can buy.
Incredible!!! I'll be back whenever I can.Written 27 May 2019
- Fabulous famous Sculptor Ronan Halpin is just a delight to visit such a frendlly welcome and real talent...Written 16 July 2022
- Great Little adventure and so mystical the Yellow Lady haunt the area ....magical fairies and hospitallity The Valley House is a delight.Written 16 July 2022
- We dropped by spontanously and were lucky that Kenneth - showed us around! Having been on 15+ Distillery tours this was a completely unique experience to us. No staged Tour with the usual information - but a very detailed and in-deep discussion with lots of details. We really can't recommend it enough. Also be sure to taste a few of their products - I ended up buying all three of their Achill Island Distillery Whiskeys - never had a tasting before where I really liked all tasted Whisk(e)ys.Written 25 October 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Achill Island
Achill Island Attractions Information