Historic Sites • Architectural Buildings
- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
Types of Attractions
Sights & Landmarks
Sights & Landmarks
4 places sorted by traveller favourites
Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- It was our second time to visit this nice town. After the long quarantine we enjoyed walking in this calm historic town. It's a beautiful mining town which lies "under the mountains". (The view is beautiful). It was a free royal city and very rich town in 14-15.th century. It was one of the richest silver mining town of Europe in the past. It's the part of the Unesco World Heritage site from 1993. I liked walking in the old town among the renovated old historic buildings. My favourites: Old and New Castles, Main Square (Trojice) with the Plague column. There are lots of good restaurants and cafes, too.Written 25 July 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- It had been built from the year cca 1450, finished in 1490 and was consecrated in 1500 A.D. There are nice stained glass windows and lot of side chapels. It is a late Gothic temple in the heart of Banská Štiavnica. It is one of "must see" places in the town.Written 2 August 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- By the time we got there it was shut so we could not go inside. The exterior leads one to believe that going inside would be worthwhile!Written 4 July 2014This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- This parish church is also known as the "German Church" because sermons for wealthy burghers were held in German. It is the town's oldest church, and was built circa 1222 as a three-ailed Romanesque Basilica. It gained its current Classicist appearance after a fire and numerous subsequent modifications. It originally belonged to Dominicans, later Germans, and then to the Jesuits.
The interior features a large painting above the modest altar of Mary ascending into the clouds surrounded by a multitude of tiny cherubs. Four marble pillars flank the altar, and a series of decorative arches run along the main aisle.
While it is a pretty church, it is no better than others in Slovakia. However, it was the ONLY church in town that was not locked during our one-day stay.Written 16 November 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Frequently Asked Questions about Banska Stiavnica
- These places are best for churches & cathedrals in Banska Stiavnica:See more churches & cathedrals in Banska Stiavnica on Tripadvisor