- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
777 places sorted by traveller favourites.
We perform checks on reviews
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
Showing results 1-30 of 777
What travellers are saying
- The talent was excellent! A very diverse group of artists. The drinks were fine and I recommend the fries for a snack while laughing.Written 1 February 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We've been to NYC a few times, and were looking for some entertainment that was a bit different. We saw an online recommendation for Birdland Jazz Club, so thought we would give it a try even though jazz isn't normally a genre we would listen to. We looked at the acts performing for the dates of our visit, and checked out them on YouTube & Spotify to help us decide which night we would want to go. We decided to see the Ron Carter Big Band and thoroughly enjoyed it!
They also serve food, which is great because you can eat at the same time as enjoying a show, instead of rushing from a restaurant to an event. We had the mushroom risotto cakes and New York strip steak, both dishes were really good. I also had the BEST cosmopolitan cocktail I've ever tasted.
If you're new to jazz, then I would highly recommend anything with the Birdland Big Band.Written 6 February 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Authentic historic bar, like drinking beer in a museum. Saw dust on the floor, choice of light or dark beers that come in two's. very easy to lose track of how many.
Beers were nice, although alot of froth but it was a good experience for us.
This place is real, and not mocked up for tourists and surely is unique having been set up like this in the 1850's.
look out for the wishbones hanging above the bar, and a whole load of other quirky bits that you could spend all night looking at. Waiter was good, and they do keep you topped up when running low.
Just go and try it!Written 11 November 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Steep stairs up, and don't be put off by the gruff guy requesting $20 each at the entrance for tickets you could immediately throw away -- plan ahead and call for a reserved table and time. Seating is spacious and comfortable. Management, like that at many jazz clubs, leaves it to patrons to tell others not use their phone's light when recording or taking photos, and to lower their phones below their heads so as not to block others' view. And don't be surprised when a staffer comes round with a musicians' tip jar -- only time I've seen that at an indoor venue in maybe 40 years. All in all, when the music's good, you'll enjoy yourself.Written 24 December 2022
- My family and I visited while in NYC on vacation. I’m a jazz fan and wanted my wife and kids to experience a live ensemble. The venue is great, lovely view of Central Park. The jazz was great too.
I have to say the service was very good, we were attentively looked after for food and drinks.
Recommended!Written 12 December 2022
- Spent a few hours in here,didn't do the free hot dogs
The most friendly place in the world...made to feel 100% welcome...Written 29 January 2023
- The club is quite small and the reservation is strongly recommended if you want to be sure to have a seat for the concert. You must take a drink. The music was fantastic. strongly recommended if you want to try an authentic jazz night.Written 18 June 2022
- Visited four times from 2016 to recently. Saw the Kenny Baron quartet shortly after my father (a jazz pianist) passed onward in 2016. I "inherited" a bunch of his vinyl albums and a couple were Baron's, which made my initial visit special.
One night after a particularly long work day on Long Island - took the LIR from Mineola to midtown Manhattan, ran into my hotel room and changed and jumped on the subway to the Village. I waited in standby line and was the last one allowed in and down the stairs to see Peter Bernstein. I cannot explain where the lump in my throat begins each time I've been to the Vanguard, but it does not seem to go away even as I write this.
Every time I enter the Vanguard, my DNA comes alive and I settle into my ground of being. The Vanguard is more than music (if you didn't know this by now), but an experience. February 2020 saw Emmet Cohen and his trio during a stopover trip to NYC from Germany and this was the perfect way to prepare for a long weekend of work.
During the height of Covid, I subscribed to many an online sessions during weekend nights in my midtown Atlanta apartment, grateful to hear live jazz even though not in person. These solitary experiences were enhanced by having been to the historic venue.
The Village Vanguard is sensual and rather intoxicating even when drinking only sparkling water. It is old school yet crowded with young artists from all over the city. It is a home away from home.Written 6 September 2022
- Guaranteed good time in NYC! Amazing house band…you’ll be on your feet dancing and singing before you know it!Written 18 January 2023
- I like to do mostly positive reviews but a few things about this place need to be said although we had booked this over a month ago I was surprised by the doorman's attitude insisting on id stating that's the way it is in his country my wife found a picture of her passport on her phone and we were allowed in however no id required from me also he never asked about our booking so if you have any id your in,
Then we were led up to a nightclub basically mega loud and full-on when we asked about the rooftop dining thingy we were informed that was off as it had been raining earlier,
The girl was really nice and no one seemed to mind the over 50 folks that had just arrived, we enjoyed the fish and chips and the two bottles of sparkling wine included ( all media and literature say 90 minutes of Champagne ) after the 80 minutes were over we asked about the rooftop and this time we were allowed up with a small glass of the aforementioned wine.
but no more as it was a working bar I don't know if you ever get to have a boozy brunch on the roof just clarify when you book or you'll be in the nightclub too.
We really loved the rooftop bar and met several interesting people a great ending after a slightly slippery start.Written 16 June 2022
- We enjoyed the 4 comedians. It was good entertainment for the cost. Nice seating, I think all seats were good to see stage. As usual, don’t sit in the front unless you don’t mind being part of the comedy.Written 9 October 2022
- I live in London and am a regular visitor to the COSAs there, including being a member at a couple of smoking clubs.
When I visit NY I usually stay at the mandarin nearby so the Carnegie is a very convenient place for me to get my cigar fix. I popped in a couple of times in July/August afternoon-evening weekdays. Being able to smoke indoors is AMAZING. The vibe here is as you’d expect - very reminiscent of Boisdale(s) in London - with clearly many regulars who add to the familiar and quaint gentleman’s club theme (men and women alike!).
I had to wait a little longer than I would have liked for service and if I was being harsh I’d call out that the interior is starting to feel a little tired. But overall, a good spot for a smoke!Written 27 November 2022
- An authentic jazz experience that has to be part of every jazz lover’s visit to New York City. You have to book, because Bill’s Place is tiny, seating 25/30 max. He encourages you to bring your own booze and snacks, but does sell soft drinks. Bill Saxton is a master of his craft - he can make the sax sing. His fellow musicians are great too. The couple running the place for him are so kind and welcoming. We immediately felt at home and as the space is so intimate, we quickly made friends with the rest of the audience. It would be difficult not to enjoy such a brilliant performance from such talented musicians - and all set in a speakeasy r that is steeped in music history - Billie Holiday was discovered there. We can’t wait to visit again.Written 9 July 2022
- Great comedians, I loved that the band was also laughing at the jokes really hard. Each person has to buy two menu items- the mozzarella sticks and panini were nice.
You need to book well in advance to get a seat.
Inside is pretty crowded, you share tables with other parties, and they keep the light down very dark so keep that in mind.
The check in process is kind of intimidating but you get to keep your phone with you, which is nice.
Great experience, would 100% go back!Written 7 February 2023
- Three of us had after dinner cocktails/wine at the Top of the Strand. The roof was open and the view of the lighted up Empire State Building was spectacular. The cocktails were very good, although we did not notice anything special due to their being put into a sou vide heated water bath for one hour. Service was lovely.Written 17 June 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about New York City
- These experiences are best for nightlife in New York City:
- Drunk Shakespeare Ticket NYC
- Stand Up Comedy LIVE in Times Square At Broadway Comedy Club
- Prohibition History & Drinks Tour New York City
- Blue Man Group at the Astor Place Theater in New York
- LOL Comedy Lounge in Times Square
- These are the best places for adventurous nightlife in New York City:See more adventurous nightlife in New York City on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for adrenaline seekers looking for nightlife in New York City:See more nightlife for adrenaline seekers in New York City on Tripadvisor