- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
40 places sorted by traveller favourites.
We perform checks on reviews
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
Showing results 1-30 of 40
What travellers are saying
- Great bikes for our self-guided day tour of the Golden Gate Park, across the Golden Gate Bridge, down (and up) the hills to Sausalito, and across on the Ferry. We started our day at 9am and had intended on a 6pm (when the shop closes) return time however we ended up a little later due to long ferry transfer times. The rental was for 24 hours so we stored our bikes in our hotel and returned the bikes at 9am the next day. Recommend asking at your hotel if they can accommodate an overnight bike storage.Written 7 August 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- It all sounded too good to be true but it is for real. The bicycle hire is the same price as the other rental shops in the area but whatever you spend on bicycle hire you get a credit note for that value which can be redeemed in Sports Basement close to the bridge.
The hybrid bikes we rented for 40$per day were excellent, well maintained and comfortable. The rental staff were very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. We cycled along the waterfront and over the bridge then on to Sausalito and beyond. On return we stopped at The Sports Basement (Decathlon equivalent) and chose 80$ worth of goodies. We then cycled to Lombard street and down the zig zag hill on the bikes which was great fun and a real experience.
We had an awesome day and cannot rate the bike rentals highly enough.
On the way out we stopped at The warming hut for a coffee - just by the bridge on the south side. On the way back we had a light lunch which was excellent and good value for money.
The weather was very kind to us too- What more could you ask.
Mike and Cath MearsWritten 18 January 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We rented bikes while visiting San Francisco and had a great experience with Golden Gate Rides. I would highly recommend renting a bike as a way to explore the city. We saw most of the city in a day and made pit stops wherever we wanted. Our bike ride ended up being the most memorable part of our vacation. The bikes were in excellent shape and the rates were reasonable. We were able to walk right in and get e-bikes that fit us, along with a lock and helmet. Our ride back took a little longer than expected, but they were understanding and didn't charge us more. I highly recommend renting from here if you're looking for a great way to get around SF!Written 4 October 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Rides bikes to Chrissy Field. Gianni was amazing. Excellent customer service and knowledge of the area!! Took great care of our kids.Written 29 June 2021
- Had been wanting to try mountain biking again, but with a guide this time, booked a half day with Mark in hopes of learning some basic mountain biking skills and also having some fun out on the trails. Mark delivered exactly what I was hoping for. He’s a great coach who excels at teaching mountain biking. Would 100% recommend taking a tour/lesson with him.Written 22 June 2022
- Just did the weekend bike trip to Point Reyes with sports basement outdoors, my 16-year-old son and nephew and we all had a blast. The trip was incredibly well organized, the guides were terrific and the food was delicious. Really fun to meet other riders from the Bay Area of all ages and experience. This was our first time doing an extended bike trip and an overnight. I cannot recommend it highly enough and want to thank the entire sports basement team for making the weekend an incredible experience. The ride and the scenery were beautiful, the campground was clean, and all of the logistics worked out exactly as described. Five stars!Written 30 September 2022
- Hired 2 city bikes from Bay City Bike, can't rate them highly enough. A really easy process, bikes matched to our needs and heights etc bikes in really good working order and easy to use.
The staff were great, very friendly and professional and would definitely use the again.
Christiano you most definitely deserve a pay rise
Thanks again had a great day biking across the Golden gate bridge to SausalitoWritten 30 May 2022
- Great bikes and route. E bikes worked very well. Great views. Love the Golden Gate bridge experience. Friendly staff. No bathrooms on site.Written 21 September 2022
- Staff was super friendly, took the time to explain where we should go and how we should do it. Bikes were ready in 5 mins and in very good shape. Had no problem returning the bikes back.Written 3 October 2022
- Dirter is a fantastic guide! Very knowledgeable and fun! Wish Trip Advisor didn’t require 100 characters for a review! Really just want to be helpful, not write an essay.Written 27 February 2021
- The bikes were great and came with a map, a lock, and a pouch to put stuff in. The lasy working there said they sanitize the bike after every trip. They have plenty of bikes so I am sure they have the time for it. The entrance to the golden gate Bridge is about 20 minutes away on the bike. We enjoyed the ride to the bridge and made stops on the way to get pictures with the bridge in the background.Written 18 July 2020
- Good place to rent a bike and ride across the Golden Gate Bridge since.
The bike was at a good condition and costs 25 bucks if you book online.
If you pay in cash when you get there it’s gonna cost around 35 bucks.
Return hour is until 6pm.
Make sure you lock the bike when you stop somewhere so you don’t get robbed.
I rode from the rental place to Sausalito, had luncha there, an icecream and then came back by Ferry. Had a great experience.Written 21 May 2019
- This Mobile Scooter Unit that was delivered by excellent consultant Teresa was really a 5 Star appreciation on Her behalf at the Delivery Point of Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal, The Let's Go PRIDE unit assisted Me to have a Wonderful and Excited 7 Days at Sea I'm extremely Happy with this device and it's sleekness to maneuver to ALL destination THANKS2U2 Everlasting Priceless and the support system from Teresa.Written 21 March 2022
- We did a Sports Basement Go guided trip with guides Jennifer and Cara to Yosemite - Glen Aulin. The trip was phenomenal, thanks to our exceptional guides. Guides helped us plan and pack, and then Sports Basement took care of all the rest—permits and camping plans. The first day, we hiked 5.5 miles to a campsite in the backcountry. We made our camp, and the guides cooked us a lovely dinner. We got to stop for lunch, to dive in swimming holes, and see amazing waterfalls most Yosemite visitors never get to see. The second day we did a leisurely day hike, and again had hot dinner ready for us in the evening. Final day we did hit rain on the way out, but we were well-prepared and the guides helped us hunker down in a safe spot till the lightning mostly cleared. Would HIGHLY recommend this trip for beginner to moderate level and beyond backpackers.Written 21 July 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about San Francisco
- These places are best for equipment hire in San Francisco:
- Dogpatch Paddle
- Bike & View - Bicycle Rentals and Tours
- Mission Bicycle Company
- San Francisco Tours & Activities | Bike the Bridge Bike Rentals
- Unlimited Biking
- These are the most romantic places for equipment hire in San Francisco:See more romantic equipment hire in San Francisco on Tripadvisor