Hiking Trails in Waianae
THE BEST Waianae Hiking Trails
Hiking Trails in Waianae
- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
4 places sorted by traveller favourites.
We perform checks on reviews
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Mountains • Nature & Wildlife Areas
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- The hike is relatively short and the views are amazing but this is not a “walk in the park” The first 1/2 mile of the trail is a climb over loose gravel, uneven ground and some large boulders. The remaining trail is series of switchbacks of narrow path and more loose rocks. The views from the pillboxes are amazing. Get inside to get some relief from the sun and wind. Before attempting to climb here, please wear appropriate athletic shoes.Written 29 June 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I hiked here this morning great hike amazing exercise. Lots of people hiking. It will be a beautiful day if you take this hike.Written 14 November 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great beach to visit. Smooth sand, kayakers and paddleboarders were also using the water. If you swim further out, there are beautiful areas to snorkel and see fish, turtles, and coral reefs.Written 21 June 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- 5 stars for the beauty on the first half. 1 star for the terrible trail markings (lack thereof).
We got the required permit to access the site through DLNR (simple enough) and breezed right through the gate. Parked the car and began hiking at 0930. Finished what was supposed to be 5-6 miles at 1530. Missed a turn where the only sign read "4WD". Prior to that we'd seen one or two signs that clearly Id'ed the Kuaokala trail. But not nearly enough even with the TWO sets of trail guides we brought with us.
So, here's the deal. The first 1/3 to 1/2 of the trail is absolutely gorgeous with views of Yokohama and Makua Beaches, North Shore, and the beautiful Makua Valley. We should have, and will next time, quit and returned after getting to the first gate where you've got beautiful views of Makua Valley. After this point the trail doesn't offer any sights worth continuing. But it does offer you the chance to get lost! And hot as heck. So we did complete the trail after walking for 6 hours in the heat and ran out of water (only brought 1/2 liter each). It was very difficult to complete without signage, water, or cell signal! Trust me, just turn around at the first gate as you'll get to see everything worth seeing by that point.Written 22 July 2015This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Frequently Asked Questions about Waianae
- These places are best for hiking trails in Waianae:See more hiking trails in Waianae on Tripadvisor