Top Attractions in Edam
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- We visited on a Wednesday during the summer which I understand is the only day of the week the town puts on a cheese market show. Everyone is dressed in costume and demonstrate how the cheese was brought to market. A fun show for the whole family. We were there at 10:30 AM and the show was underway. Very interesting and entertaining.Written 5 August 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Beautiful old renovated fort.
Part of the "Stelling van Amsterdam"
Some parts are still from the time of the fort, and the volunteers can explain anything pretty good (we had a dutch guide)
It's only open on wednesdays and some sundays.
But it's defo worth a visit.Written 10 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Dont miss this "crooked old museum" nor a walk around this small but historic town with its impressive church, old streets and a history of flooding! because of this the buildings cannot have cellars! with a fluctuating water table, there is the square with its old cheese auction house and lovely architecture, a second church with its wonderful bell tower which rings every 15mins, so much to see just watch your step as the roads and streets have very irregular surfaces!!Written 8 October 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This narrow, wooden pedestrian drawbridge is from the 18th century. It's a national monument. The area of the bridge is beautiful, especially the view on the waterWritten 25 August 2021
- We were hoping to spend some time in the church. The tourist information office told us is closed at 5 but they kicked us out at 4. The church is pretty spare inside but has some interesting features.Written 23 October 2019
- When approaching the charming village of Edam, you can see the characteristic bell tower, the "Speeltoren", attached to what is left of the partly demolished "Kleine Kerk", (Small Church). This bell tower was built in the 16th century. Characteristic are the bells hung at the outside of the tower. These specific bells were mounted a century ago.Written 23 October 2022
- Just after crossing the "Kwakel" bridge, we saw this shipyard. Unfortunately it was already closed though it was not 04.00 pm yet. Or it's closed due to the pandemic?.Written 25 August 2021
- Edam, well known for its Edammer Cheese, is a beautiful small town close to Volendam and Marken and worth a visit.
he name Edam originates from a dam on the little river E or IJe where the first settlement was located and which was therefore called IJedam. Count Willem V of Holland granted Edam rights as a borough in 1357.Written 4 January 2021
- This tourist information centre is located in the building of the former town hall of Edam on the dam square. Edam is quite small but visiting this place and getting the local map or information about Edam and the surounding is a good place to start your walk. Kind and helpfull staff.Written 25 August 2021
- Baanbrug is one of many draw bridges in Edam. This "Baanbrug" is an iron drawbridge over the Nieuwehaven, connected Baanstraat and Hoogstraat to the town centre. When you park your car at the parking area "Baanstraat" ( that's free for four hours ), you will not miss this bridge.Written 25 August 2021
- The Holy St. Nicholas church still looks good for a church from 1827, well, the last restoration was in 1985. This catholic church is located in the centre of Edam. It has beautiful stained glass windows. One thing that makes this church very special for me is "The eye of God" in a triangular window high above the sanctuary. As soon as you notice it, you will have a feeling that you're beeing watched for every movement you make. God is watching you.Written 26 August 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Edam
- The best day trips from Edam according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Day Trip to Zaanse Schans, Edam, Volendam and Marken from Amsterdam
- Volendam, Edam and Zaanse Schans Windmills Live Guided Day Tour from Amsterdam
- Zaanse Schans, Edam, Volendam and Marken Tour
- Zaanse Schans, Marken, Edam & Volendam - Day Trip
- Zaanse Schans, Volendam, Marken Day Trip Plus Amsterdam City Tour
- The most popular things to do in Edam with children according to Tripadvisor travellers are:See all kid friendly things to do in Edam on Tripadvisor
Edam Attractions Information
|Local Time||Sunday 0:01 a.m.|