Top Attractions in Port Ellen
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- We had a great experience on the tour and the tasting afterwards. Our guide was knowledgeable, friendly and made a novice whisky drinker like me feel right at home. The selection of offerings for tasting was great…something for the new whisky drinker to the aficionado.Written 8 November 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Lovely visit to the cafe. Great to see it buzzing. Meant a small wait for our order to be taken but after it was, the food arrived really quickly. Not extensive menu but tasty and well presented. Staff were lovely and apologetic for the delays but really wasn’t an issue. Worth the waitWritten 26 November 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Beautiful and quite amazing to view something so ancient. The drive was a little long, but worth the time spent to see the site.Written 8 November 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Lovely little wine stall with fruit wines, something we hadn't tried before. The owner is a very charming woman who brilliantly explains the story behind the shop.Written 1 September 2022
- Wonderful hilly walk past the lighthouse and wild goats, this gorgeous beach does not disappoint. Plenty of rocks to climb tooWritten 2 October 2022
- Truly enjoyed our tour here provided by Islay Tours and Dougie McTaggart. A lot of interesting history of this 12th Century ruins and the grounds surrounding them. Just walk the grounds and imagine days gone by ... a great place to visit!Written 23 May 2022
- A beautiful view of the lighthouse from Rhinns Point. There were lots of gray seals on the rocks and playing in the water, as well.Written 20 July 2022
- Spent many evenings here, after dinner at different places. They dont do any food, but have all the beers snd whiskyes you would like. Met many different staff, and all so friendly and nice. Not to loud music, clean toilets, a very nice pub.Written 11 September 2022
- Great day out on bikes hired from Jim. Good, well maintained bikes and Jim couldn't have been more helpful.
We cycled to Claggain Bay, which is a lovely, quiet route. The Kildalton Cross is well worth a look and the 'cakes at the cross' very welcome.Written 13 June 2022
- Beautiful shop with lots of lovely gifts. Definitely pay them a visit! Friendly and helpful service.Written 16 September 2021
- My wife and I joined 50 or so other whisky enthusiasts at Lagavulin Distillery for their Warehouse Wonderland Experience. The event was hosted by "Santa" Iain McArthur who was ably supported by the Lagavulin Visitor Centre team in the Christmas themed and moodily lit warehouse. We enjoyed some very choice drams and Lagavulin whisky based cocktails and, as ever, Iain stole the show and entertained us all for almost two hours of glorious fun. Well done Iain and well done Lagavulin.Written 3 December 2022
- I went on a wildlife boat trip in July 22 and it was, without doubt, the best tourist activity I have ever done, anywhere.
Location was beyond stunning, the captain and crew were friendly, welcoming, knowledgeable and made the trip extra special with a dram.
I couldn't recommend this more.Written 23 October 2022
- David is an excellent guide: in 2019 we did a brilliant kayak trip, now in October 2022 we did a FatBike trip which was absolutely fantastic. Great bikes, stunning sceneries and a beautiful trail. Bikes were great and we truly enjoyed it.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !Written 26 October 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Port Ellen
- The most popular things to do in Port Ellen with children according to Tripadvisor travellers are:See all kid friendly things to do in Port Ellen on Tripadvisor