Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- What can I say,took a quad bike here and the beach is paradise truly.
White sand and fantastic views and pictures to dye forWritten 25 June 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Hotel was very nice, variety of food was lovely, views and beach is what it’s all about. Weather was great.Written 19 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Excellent beach white sand clear waters. The beach is vast, with a cafe at the far end of you need a drink. Local companies do tours to visit in quads or jeeps if you preferWritten 15 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Exciting drive and then a fun uplifting walk through beautiful soft dunes with majestic panoramic viewsAn adventurous drive/walk through a small but beautiful sand dune area. Not far from Rabil and only 30 min from Sal Rei the Viana desert is a wonderful way to spend a few hours wandering through sand dunes, a la Lawrence of Arabia. Driving independently allows you to experience 4X4 excitement as you approach a hilltop to park. Walking around the dunes, running down to soft sides and just 'zenning' by sitting alone at the top of the highest dune is an ethereal feeling. The desert is about 1km X 5km in size and depending on the time of the year can be hot and of course dry. Depending on your fitness and condition take at least a hat, a litre of water and sunscreen if you're light skinned. Be prepared to get sand in 'all the wrong places' but have fun doing so. I'd recommend avoiding the large groups surfboarding down the dunes hooting and hollering simply because the experience is best enjoyed by walking up and own and around the magnificent sand dunes. The tour groups rarely go to the other side so if you want the place to yourself arrive early or late (the best time) and take the 30 min or so to traverse the dunes to the inside where you can see beyond. It is also the highest point. There are no slithering critters so no worries. It's a photographers dream for dramatic (sunset) photos or slo-mo action sequences striding down the sand dune.
Do not drive from the visitors centre to the dunes independently without the correct vehicle and experience in soft sand. I learned how to drive in soft sand with proper equipment and training while living in the Middle East but most people should take a tour to here. They use specialized vehicles with experienced driver/guides who can call someone if they get stuck (they rarely do). Highly recommended for a 2 hour stop before heading south to Santa Monica beach, the largest and most beautiful beach in Cabo Verde or north through the scrub brush on a narrow winding road eventually coming to the second most beautiful beach in Cabo Verde where the ship wreck is found; yet another great off-road drive that is perhaps best done in a group in 4X4s or quad bikes. Caution: independent drivers going north through the scrub brush outside of town may mean encountering swampy areas depending on the season. It is a low lying area oftern with ponds blocking the roads. Don't try to go through ugh as it is too soft; the tour guides know this. There are many road 'tributaries' and finding a way though to the east is possible.Written 22 October 2023
- This museum is a must for anyone visiting Boa Vista. We were greeted by a young woman (who I believe from other reviews may be the owners daughter) who was so friendly. She gave us a personal tour of the small museum and was really knowledgeable about the island’s history.
Stepping into the museum is like stepping inside a work of art. The artwork is stunning and blends well with the displays and artefacts. Our only regret is that we could not go back on the Friday evening - they hold music sessions on Friday evenings which I’m guessing would be a fantastic night out. It will definitely be on our book it list for the next time we visit Boa Vista - and we definitely will return to the island!Written 6 November 2023
- Enjoyed the history of the area and how the wreck had changed over 50 years. Needs to be tidied and people to leave less rubbish.Written 14 July 2022
- Sunday 14th November and we visited the Southwestern side of the Island on our Quad Zone Tour.
Travelling along the coast we visited a number of spectacular beaches and this one was no exception. It is located between Praia de Santa Monica and Praia Varadinho.
We zipped across the amazing dunes ending up on the beach where we parked up. We clambered up and down the massive white sand dunes ending up at the sea with it's crystal clean water and crashing waves.
We did stop briefly, again, at a viewpoint, from here we had a panoramic view along the beach, dunes, the ocean and mountainous background.
There are no facilities on the beach, including sunloungers and umbrellas so it remains totally unspoilt, simply beautiful.Written 6 January 2022
- We took a full day and a half day private trip. Both excellent value with a very informative and careful driver guide. Booked at the office in the main square in Sal Rei. Good information given prior to booking. Very pleased with the route, lunch and all stops. Highly recomentWritten 27 February 2018
- Took in this little chapel as part of an ATV trip
Literally stuck on a rocky bluff above the sea in the middle of nowhere
Recently rebuilt and pristine
nice little stopover and makes you think about people’s faith and how these places are built and then maintainedWritten 18 July 2023
- A prefect beach to stroll along, unspoilt and pretty empty except for a few kite surfers! the sand is very soft.Written 10 January 2023
- Sunday 14th November and we were on a quad bike tour of the south west region of the Island.
We had been to visit the amazing Santa Monica Beach, our first stop, we then sped across the dunes to our next port of call which was here.
Having been here before we did not think that we could be impressed by here again, however, when we arrived we were amazed, once more, by what we saw.
Astounding rock formations and caves, which had been sculpted by nature and the elements over the centuries, were along the beach.
We clambered over the rocks and walked into the caves in total amazement at these wonderful structures.
This is another beautiful beach with white sand and turquoise sparkling sea, however the rocks and caves are the main attraction here.
As the current and waves were not as powerful here as at Santa Monica Beach, it was possible for us to have a swim here.Written 19 November 2021
- We used this beach most days as we’re guests at the Riu Palace Boavista
Clean and well kept
Never busy as isolated apart from the 2 hotels
No facilities on the beach persay
Contrary to the previous and only other review, I can’t see hotel security allowing you to use toilets or get a drink etc unless you’re a guest - they were pretty strict in checking wrist bands etc
Word to the wise there’s quite a strong tow / under current so don’t get out of your depth!Written 17 July 2023
- Loved this place - made to feel so welcome when we arrived and the relaxed approach to our visit was fab. Have phone tour to guide you round but can read the information if you are deaf. Great historical place followed by a fab coffee in the gardens
Price is amazing at 4 euros each - a must to visitWritten 20 December 2022
- You will see this from the nearby RUI hotels and the airport. It is a chimney which is the only thing standing from a once thriving pottery factory in the late 19th century early 20th century. Worth a look just off the beach and very photogenic landmark.Written 19 November 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Boa Vista
- The best day trips from Boa Vista according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Boa Vista Island: Full-day Caves, Dunes & Santa Monica Beach Tour
- Half Day 4x4 Tour with Local Taste in South of Boa Vista
- Postcards of Boa Vista 4x4 Tour with Shipwreck and Local Lunch
- Guided Full Day Island Tour in Boa Vista with Lunch
- Tours in Boa Vista island
Boa Vista Attractions Information