Top Attractions in Joshua Tree
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- We purchased the Action Tour Audio for Joshua Tree and Palm Springs, downloaded it ahead of time and familiarized ourselves with the app. Best decision ever. Made the drive so much easier and fun for the whole family. Our favorite stops of the day:
Joshua Tree Visitor Center (on Park Blvd): nice gift shop with bathrooms inside and tons of information from free maps to park employees. We also bought a few things from the attached cafe, including Joshua Tree coffee beans to take home.
Hidden Valley: we loved this hike so much - favorite of the day! It’s about 1.5 miles through beautiful rocks and canyons. Saw tons of little kids to elderly doing this hike.
Keys View: absolutely beautiful viewing area! We sat for a while and enjoyed the rest and took it all in…you can even see the Salton Sea from up there.
Cholla Cactus Garden: this was amazing! Very unique and special. Easy walk through the garden with great pictures.
Cottonwood Springs exit: from the cholla cactus garden we continued down to the South Park exit since we were staying in La Quinta - it’s an easy drive from there. The drive itself to cottonwood springs is very different from the rest of the park - the landscape is much more sparse with very few if any Joshua trees but it’s equally stunning in its own way.Written 23 November 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Lots of great exhibits on Native tribes and how they used the land. Park Service staff is, as always, awesome.Written 31 October 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I think you have to be a certain type of person to really appreciate Desert art & this did not disappoint! We loved it and it and made better by the backdrop of the desert. Much of the art work can be open to interpretation and you soon find your favourites as you walk around. The road down to it is a sand road and bumpy so be careful! If you are into desert art and things off the beaten track then this is a must! 💕📸🌵🌵Written 2 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- It is very quirky little place surrounded with other art stores. It is fun and definitely worth stopping by.Written 9 May 2022
- As you are traveling down Twentynine Palms Highway in Joshua Tree and approach Sunset Road and Hillside Road located on the south side of the road you will find a unique sculpture. It is a giant turtle. “Murtle the Turtle” is the world’s largest replica of a tortoise. This larger that live sculpture is a beautiful recreation of the desert tortoise which one dominated the landscape in this area. During the 1950 – 1960s, Joshua Tree use to hold an annual Turtle Day Parade and Turtle Races to honor this magnificent creature. Over the years, this reptile started to disappear from the surrounding landscape. Eventually it was declared an endanger species, and Joshua Tree gave up their Turtle Day Parade and Races. To honor this tradition and the tortoise, Joshua Tree designed a statue using a concept taken from a 1957 painted plaster turtle parade float. Hence the birth of “Murtle the Turtle.” Over the years, time and weather played havoc with this rendition of the Turtle and it was replaced with the current sculpture. Outstanding sculpture to honor a past tradition and a beautiful creature. Well worth a visit.Written 27 February 2022
- A hike to Carey's Castle in Hiking Joshua Tree National Park. This Place is hard time find and we want to keep it that way. Make sure you take plenty of water and food. Make sure you take a map of the area or YOU WILL GET LOST.
My adventure video!
9 miles round trip
Elevation Gain: 1400 ft
Hike Time: 7 hours
Trail Condition: No trail at times / Confusing Forks
Hike Type: Out and Back
Animals : Not Recommended
Activities : Hiking
Fee : Free ParkingWritten 7 January 2015
- This is a co-op art gallery owned and run by a dozen or so local Joshua Tree artists. It is right on the highway going through Joshua Tree. I found the art to be really interesting and intriquing. Many genres of art are on display; photography, painting and sculpture. During our visit we was a variety of interesting and provocative works on display. Well worth taking the time to visit.Written 27 January 2020
- We had an most-excellent day hike with Mojave Guides! Our guide Heather was outstanding! She took us off-trail so that our 4 -hour climb/hike went by without seeing another soul! Heather challenged us, but also made sure that we were safe throughout the day. What a view from the top! A great day.Written 28 February 2022
- My wife and I started climbing almost 4 years ago. We started in the gym and for the most part gym climbing has been our experience. About 2 years into our climbing experience, we met Aron from Stone Adventures and took his Anchor Building course (excellent and informative course). That course allowed us to leave the gym and top rope outdoors with confidence. My wife asked me in June if I would like to take an Intro to Trad Course with Stone Adventures at the end of July. Let’s just say Joshua Tree in July didn’t sound like my ideal but I was super excited to build my climbing repertoire so I agreed. July came and we headed to Joshua Tree. There we met Annie and I have to say what a great experience! She is so knowledgeable and considerate. The course taught us how to properly place cams, judge the effectiveness of our placements, perform top-managed belays, and rappel all while keeping ourselves safe. If you are getting into climbing or just interested in spending quality time with the family in a beautiful setting, you can’t go wrong with Stone Adventures!Written 2 August 2020
- My husband and I had a great full day of climbing with Andy! We are both experienced gym climbers but wanted a guide to help us transition to outdoor climbing. We did a few top rope climbs, our first rappels, and our first multi-pitch climb! We appreciated how safety-oriented our guide was, and he took the time to explain the how's and the why's of each step. The lunch served was also perfect! We highly recommend this, for people of all levels!Written 15 October 2022
- We loved loved loved our sunset hike and star gazing!! Everyone in our 7 person group from 54 to 20 years old loved it! Once in a lifetime experience. Zarrin was so chill and so knowledgeable he took us off the beaten path and was an amazing guide. Then he made us a delicious chicken and rice burrito bowl dinner as Star man Steve talked to us about the constellations. It was all amazing and fun!Written 14 August 2022
- What am amazing experience! Ting, my guide for a 6 hour climbing session, was knowledgeable, kind, encouraging and fun! She was able to tailor the day to suite my expectations and needs. I would highly recommend this group to anyone of any experience level to enjoy and experience rock climbing in Joshua Tree!Written 16 November 2022
- My boss raved about her experience with The Climbing Life Guides, and highly recommend this company to me. I was not disappointed. I booked 4-hrs for two people (my 13-yo son and I). We met our guide, Luke, at Nelson’s (the owner) home office just outside of Joshua Tree NP. It took about 10 mins to gear up, and then we followed Luke in our own car into the park. He knows lots of locations to take people, and we ended up at “Playground”, where he set up four different courses. It was the perfect mix of difficulty and challenge for both my son and I, and the four courses got progressively more difficult (we are beginners). Luke provided an appropriate amount of advice / tips for us as we ascended. I realized this when another group joined us at the rock, and the more experienced person of that group basically told his friends exactly where to place their hands and feet. That takes all the fun out of climbing! Luke was knowledgeable, patient, and I alway felt safe under his guidance. My son and I had so much fun, and were thoroughly spent after those 4 hours. Money and time really well spent! Such an awesome experience!Written 22 April 2022
- Ramona & Conan provided an amazing way to spend an afternoon. After living here for the past 4 years, I've explored the area extensively. Having said that, I had never been to the grounds on which this experience is held. I couldn't have had better guides to not only show me around but also educate and inspire me. The nature walk was lovely and a good way to settle into the subtle energy that permeates the land. Conan is very knowledgeable about nature and points out elements that most would not notice. By the time we got to the boulder cave for our sound healing, Ramona gracefully transitioned me from hiking to total relaxation. She has a unique way of holding space and making sure everyone is comfortable and cared for. I also liked how she incorporated different elements into her sound bath to make it her own, including music, tuning forks, and aromatherapy which really worked well to enhance the entire experience. I highly recommend this experience and also have some suggestions for anyone visiting. 1. Book this experience 2. Wear comfortable hiking shoes 3. Bring water, sunscreen, layers, and snacks. 4. Be ready to unplug from technology 5. Give yourself more than 3 hours as you may simply want to sit on a rock after and take it all in :)Written 14 April 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Joshua Tree
- The best day trips from Joshua Tree according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Joshua Tree Hummer Adventure from Palm Desert
- Joshua Tree National Park Scenic Tour
- BEST Joshua Tree,Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum Day Tour from LA