Tours near Portumna
Book these experiences to see what the area has to offer.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- This tour was one of the most profound and affecting that we have ever experienced. Being in a building steeped in so much history was powerful enough in itself, and the fact that the spaces were uncluttered with a lot of extra paraphanelia simply made teh experience more powerful - having said that, the one 'gimmick' of the talking holograms was very well done and only added to the tour. Our guide was ecxcellent. He spoke very factually and precisely about the history, context and life in the workhouse and, again, this added to the trip. His knowledge was encyclopeadic - we asked lots of questions, and when he (rarely!) did not know the answer, he said so which simply added more weight to his input. If you have the chance to visit, please do - although based in history, this place still has so much to teach us about how we treat the most vulnerable in our society today.Written 24 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Friendly and knowledgable staff, lovely coffee shop and garden. Exhibits are quickly viewed and provide some entertainment for younger ones.Written 24 October 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A lovely park to spend a few hours in, we went on a very hot day so only did the short walk which was fairly well signposted although we did miss the access to the viewpoint over Loch Derg.
Car park is a good size and there are picnic tables available, also toilet facilities on site, there was a coffee van there but nothing else on site (at least on the day we visited), entry was free
Would visit again next time we are in the area.Written 26 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great variety. Very reasonably priced. So helpful. Staff so helpful and friendly. Will definitely return.Written 6 September 2021
- Well preserved and interesting to read the gravestones. Some dating back to the 1680s. Lovely to see the flowers and plants taking root in the stone walls as well. It's an easy walk through the Forest Park from the Portumna Castle or along the road way from the Harbour. Worth a visit if you enjoy old friaries, abbeys and such.Written 18 May 2022
- Absolutely beautiful course, greens are very true and quick, staff where very nice and good to deal with, we were on a work outing and stayed in the county Arms in Birr, the hotel was really really good and we had a great night out in the town where the locals were so nice and friendly, really would recommend both .
The only negative was play on the course was very slow, 5h 15m but still loved the hole experience..Written 20 August 2023
- While staying at Pod Umna with a few friends we called into The Boathouse for a few drinks! I honestly couldn’t speak highly enough of this pub. So clean, and the outdoor drinking area is gorgeous! Couldn’t fault the staff, so friendly and kind, even have us umbrellas walking home as it was lashing rain!Written 8 July 2021
- For many years, we have gone on a couple of sailing and canal adventures per year and have had a wide range of experience; most were adequate and a couple were substandard.
This was our 4th trip with Le Boat/Emerald Star. Every part of this trip with Le Boat/Emerald Star based in Portumna was outstanding. The boat was ready and waiting on us as was Brian and his staff. They far exceeded every expectation, and we had high expectations.
Brian and his staff and John & his crew in Carrick on Shannon are simply first class. If I could hire them away I would do so.Written 2 October 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Portumna
- The most popular things to do in Portumna with children according to Tripadvisor travellers are:See all kid friendly things to do in Portumna on Tripadvisor
Portumna Attractions Information