Top Attractions in Mal Pais
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- My husband and I decided to spend my birthday on horseback riding. We had a wonderful quiet time to enjoy the outdoor and the horses. Our tour was lead by two young ladies. They are very professional and knowledgeable with horses. They just made sounds and small hand gestures and horses know when to stop or slow down. Horses are well trained and friendly. We went up and down hill then end the tour on beach. During the ride we don’t need to worry about picture taking. That’s already taken care of by the ladies and pictures were later sent to us with no charge. I highly recommend this ranch. All tours are private and owner Sandra was easy to communicate with.Written 26 December 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Visiting the Cabo Blanco Butterfly Farm is well worth your time. It was a very informative and relatively quick tour- Rachel was very knowledgable~ we learned so much about native butterflies while getting to walk amongst them in their natural habitat. Even my 14 year old daughter enjoyed it and she doesn't enjoy much of anything these days!Written 7 March 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We did the sunset cruise with a group of four of us and had the best time! Miguel and his brother were so nice and fun, as advertised they brought a big cooler of beer for us as well as waters and fresh fruit and other snacks. They showed us an underwater volcano and let us do some fishing. My fiancé has never fished and they coached him through catching his first fish: a yellow fin tuna!! Thanks for a fantastic time, pura vida!Written 17 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Our family of 5 had the best adventure with this company. Our kids are 12, 11, and 8. The canopy was beautiful and the staff was fantastic. They were fun, calming and made us all feel safe on some of the higher platforms and lines. We would definitely recommend this company!Written 7 June 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Just returned from a morning paddle board lesson with Andy and Edith. I can’t say enough about how patient and instructive they both were. They pointed out interesting sites as we paddled.Written 16 December 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Highly recommend! Jason is the best! This is our second trip with Jason and first going deep sea fishing In less than a year. He and his staff are attentive to your needs and what your expectations are during your excursion. We had such a fantastic day and were fortunate to see a pack of killer whales, manta, sea turtle, school of spinner dolphins on top of the fact that we caught a tuna, mahi and a sailfish! We had at least 4 others on the line… but as you know you can’t catch them all!! If you are considering going fishing during your stay in Santa Teresa/ Mal Pais you must contact Jason ! Thank you Jason!Written 5 April 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Rented surfboards here. Close to beach. Rental easy and price comparable to others.Staff friendly and very helpful. Special shout out to Warren and Mari who helped me reunite with items stolen a few days earlier. They recognized me from a Santa Teresa facebook post and made sure I connected with the person who found the items. Very grateful!Written 12 February 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Great Instructor! My husband and I had so much fun with Lolo. He worked with us but also gave my husband space and directions (He likes to solve problems on his own). The Beach was 200m down from our hotel and we didn't even know it! I wish we had more time to learn as there is a great mix of small and medium waves. The beach is all great soft sand. Lolo himself is a very interesting guy as well with his background in biology he is a wealth of information. Bring Cash!Written 19 December 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Scheduling was seamless, very responsive. Boat ride was great. Local knowledge was evident, we tried plenty of spots until fish were aplenty. Guides were lovely, good communicators. Cleaned the fish at the end, we cooked em up and have a freezer fullWritten 30 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We had a great ride through the jungle and onto the beach for sunset. The cowboy, Rafael, was wonderful and the horses are very well taken care of. Sabine made it very easy to book and was extremely hospitable.
We'd go again in a heart beat! The property itself is also incredible and worth visiting.Written 30 December 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- My wife and I did either Sea Kayak and Boat fishing with Pablo (Pescatica Fishing-
firstname.lastname@example.org). It was a great experience and we really enjoyed having these tours. Highly recommend to go if you want a great local guidance and be able to catch fresh Tuna, Dorado, Spanish Mackerel, Jack, Barracuda, Snapper and other.Written 21 November 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We rented an ATV for four days while there during the rainy season. The back 'roads' are an absolute blast. We crossed streams that were plentiful in any direction we traveled. We ran the gas tank down and finding a gas station is darn near impossible. The folks at the Adventure Tours came and filled it up for us! We really appreciated that during an absolute downpour! I would highly recommend renting from them and travelling from town to town. What a great way to see the beautiful countryside.Written 16 October 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- For some reason Trip Advisor doesn't have this attraction's California location listed, so I"m posting this here. None of us had ever surfed when my kids decided they wanted to spend our family vacation at surf camp in California. After reading about a number of options, we chose Endless Summer, and are so glad we did. My kids attended the overnight camp, and I took a lesson. They had all of us standing up surfing the first day, and let everyone advance at their own pace. They were always there with helpful tips and suggestions. The food was good and plentiful, especially the dinners. Staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and ensured a safe and enjoyable surfing and camping experience. My kids made lots of new friends from all around the world. My children strongly suggest you choose the overnight camp option.Written 20 August 2012This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- This lodge was a lovely place. We stayed for three nights while we visited Mal Pais and Montezuma. Although it is not too out of the way, you feel like you are on your own jungle island. Every day we saw wildlife--often from poolside. Capuchin monkeys, howler monkeys, white-nosed coati, a wide variety of bird species -- all while sitting by the pool or eating breakfast.
The rooms are not air conditioned, but ceiling fans and screened windows provide sufficient air circulation. Accomodations this far out are a bit more rustic than elsewhere in Costa Rica, but this Lodge was clean and accomodating. We couldn't get our children to leave the pool. One word of advice -- if you plan to stay here or anywhere near Montezuma or Mal Pais, rent a 4x4 car. You will need it as the roads are rough.
All in all, this is a lovely spot to rest, relax and enjoy.Written 3 February 2016This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Frequently Asked Questions about Mal Pais
- The best day trips from Mal Pais according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Holbox Tour - Pasion Island & Cenote from Playa del Carmen and Cancun
- Las Coloradas Tour - Transportation Included
- Mal Pais Adventure & Montezuma falls