Popular things to do
- Nature and Wildlife Tours
- Tours & Sightseeing
- Top Picks
- Water Sports
- Day Trips & Excursions
- Thermal Spas & Hot Springs
- Food, Wine & Nightlife
- Cruises, Sailing & Water Tours
- Private Sightseeing Tours
- Sporting Events
- Airport & Hotel Transfers
- Luxury & Special Occasions
- Likely to Sell Out
- Mountain Bike Tours
- Yoga Classes
Top Attractions in Playa Grande
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- This beach was our kids favorite to date for boogie boarding . They looked forward to it each day we were there . It’s a very clean beach and very big.Written 6 July 2020
- We did the Mistico hanging bridges tour at Arenal La Fortuna and Denis was a very friendly driver. Gave us tips on what to do locally. Great experience!Written 12 April 2022
- We just returned from Costa Rica and did a surf lesson with Mojo Surf and I couldn’t recommend them more highly. They were so awesome! We had a group of 24 people. 10 adults and 14 kids ages 4-15. They took us to a secret part of the beach so we had it all to ourselves. Tim and MJ (the owners) and their surf instructors Johel and JP were so nice, knowledgeable, patient and just totally psyched to surf. Everyone stood up on the board. They had water and fresh pineapple for us when we needed a break. We surfed for about 2 hours and they got great photos of everyone. It was one of the highlights of our trip! I highly recommend everyone do this if they can! Thanks guys for everything! Hopefully we will see you again in the future!Written 4 January 2022
- We used You are costa rica for transportation for our wedding. We had 90 people arriving in a foreign country with many flights, delays, changes, etc and this company got my entire party from the airport to las catalinas, one hour away, smoothly efficiently and safely!!
They also helped us get large groups to several excursions throughout our time there.
To put the cherry on top- one of our group members ended up having to fly into a different airport several hours away and without hesitation they were taken care of as well.
Would recommend a million times over!!Written 3 April 2022
- We stopped in and shopped for a bit. Ended up buying some nice swim trunks. Gentleman who helped us was nice, knowledgeable and helpful. Cute puppy, too.Written 6 March 2022
- Heiner was such an amazing person to meet in Guanacaste. He helped us with surfboards, booked us a trip to Roca Bruja (witches rock), and came with us. We shared waves and caught tuna on our trip. 100% made our trip to Playa Grande, and cannot wait to go back and link up with him. Thank you, Pura Vida.Written 10 November 2021
- We had the GREATEST surf experience with Tuanis Adventures! Marco was completely amazing as a surf instructor and was very accommodating for us to conveniently meet him. Several of us tried surfing for the first (or so) time and had a blast! Marco was incredibly patient and filled with good vibes. Our two teenage boys went back to surf with him on several more occasions and he was beyond great with them and the surf lifestyle they would love to have everyday. He was always willing to make some availability, even at the last minute, and the boys thought he was fantastic. Marco was an essential part of our wonderful vacation and I cannot recommend him enough.Written 17 April 2022
- As surf beginners we (my 3 kids and myself) took surf lessons on 4 days. It was a great experience! Laura, Rolo, and Johan were so nice and cared much about us. They were really patient and did everything to allow us a great experience. There were many others surf providers around but I cannot imagine any as nearly as good as Caracola Experience. Highly highly recommended!!!Written 1 May 2022
- We got referred to Jeanette at matos by our Airbnb host. I’ve never surfed before, but by the end of the week she had made me feel like a local regular that had been in the shop for years. She was wonderful taking time to talk with our children and made them feel special. Excellent service, great vibes!!!
Especially like the organic sunscreen she makes and the fact that they up-cycle old boards and use low Voc foams for their “surf cycled” brand of boards they make in house.Written 19 November 2021
- We did a restorative yoga class with brooks during sunset and it was absolutely amazing. It was absolutely beautiful, the energy of the ocean, the sunset, and Brooks’ wonderful, calming instruction led us into a deep meditative and restorative practice that was just what we needed. Thank you for the wonderful healing session 🙏Written 27 April 2022
- Elyse of Searching Waves, did an amazing job of organizing activities specifically for our group of 6. While we were not surfers, we did enjoy a sunset boat ride she scheduled for us...with a great captain and crew. We also went on a day trip, visiting many local communities, seeing beautiful scenery including secluded beaches and enjoying seeing several monkeys, and ending with a sunset dinner on the beach. The emersion into the culture and communities surrounding Tamarindo was an unforgettable experience!Written 13 January 2020
- I took a couple of surf lessions in april with Popsi and enjoyed it a lot. He knew exactly my level and helped me proceed. He showed and explained me how to read the waves and what to take care about. After the lessions with him I was able to improve more by myself and I felt way more secure.
Romina was organizing everything, so I didn‘t had to care about organizing an hostel by myself. They helped me buying an adapter, went having brunch with me & watching the sunset and gave me many recommendations. The stay in Playa Grande was the beginning of my first solo trip and the time with Popsi & Romina helped me to start in this adventure. It felt very familiar.
Thank you for the amazing time and pura vida <3Written 11 August 2022
- Perfect in every way; punctual and reliable. Alejandro was a huge help while I stayed in Playa Grande. Highly recommend.Written 22 February 2021
- The scenery was beautiful and food was amazing. The instructors had excellent workouts and showed us around Costa Rica and got to see how pretty CR really is. I would definitely go back. Thanks a lot! :)Written 10 May 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Playa Grande
- The best day trips from Playa Grande according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Marlin del Rey Catamaran Snorkel Sunset Cruise from Tamarindo or Playas del Coco
- Palo Verde Boat Safari
- ZipLine, Horseback Riding, Tubing, Hot Springs & Lunch @ Volcano National Park