Popular things to do
- Bus Tours
- Full-day Tours
- Points of Interest & Landmarks
- Sporting Events
- Multi-day Cruises
- Airport & Hotel Transfers
- Kayaking Tours
- Top Picks
- Luxury & Special Occasions
- Ports of Call Tours
- Food, Wine & Nightlife
- Air, Helicopter & Balloon Tours
- Special Offers
- Likely to Sell Out
- Shopping Tours
- Weddings & Honeymoons
- Family Friendly
Top Attractions in Ninh Binh
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- There are lots of tourists here, but there is a reason: It's beautiful! And once you are in the boat it does not feel so crowded anymore. We went in the middle of the day, there were less people at that time. When coming back we saw many more people starting the tour. There are three routes to choose from and we chose the one with many caves. The landscape is amazing and going through those caves by boat was a very special experience. We also saw some birds on the way. There is a minimum of 3 people per boat, so we had to wait for another couple before our boat took off. The boat stopped 3 times at temples where we had to wait around. I did not like those stops that much, they were too long. The temples are all newly built ones. But you can gaze at the landscape while waiting. We did also the boat rides at Tam Coc and Van Long, but Trang An was the nicest one. This review is for the boat ride and not some tour operator.Written 27 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Beautiful scenery and well worth the climb, our only downfall was we wanted to be up for sunset and left our hostel at 5 for a 15 min drive but Google maps left us down big time brought us to too many dead ends and pointless routes, we would have been lost without google maps throughout our 3 months trip, but for this one journey it is best to ask reception how to get there.Written 31 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Tam coc is so beautiful. Boat trip was very nice and the local people were friendly.
Cycling is very interestingWritten 1 October 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The entrance to the temple at the lake is really beuatiful. We went and looked at the temple etc. It's very nice but not worth to drive hours to see. But if you stay in Tam Coc it's definitely worth to visit. You can cycle there from Tam Coc town. Instead to walk through the gate to see the temple you can walk around the lake on the right side and then climb up the hill. You end up between hills in a very beautiful landscape, most likely alone as people don't go that way.Written 27 August 2022
- We mainly went here to see birds. There were a few, but not many. The boat ride is very nice, ending in a cave. Beautiful landscape and once in a while a bird taking off (they are very shy). We haven't seen the monkeys. There are not many tourists here, making it a quiet experience. We were a couple and had our own boat. Tam Coc and Trang An are much busier. We spent three days in Ninh Binh and had the time to visit this. However, if you have only time for one boat ride, I would recommend Trang An or Tam Coc. On the Trang An boat ride we have seen about the same number of species of birds as here in Van Long.Written 27 August 2022
- The Cave of Prehistoric Man was incredible and a lot bigger than I was expecting, don't forget to bring a torch! There was also a nice trek to the oldest tree which was nice.Written 10 December 2019
- We were very pleasantly surprised by this place. It is very quiet and isolated from the road noise (which is kind of rare in Vietnam). Not a lot of tourists go there, so that was a big plus for us. And the view is awesome, same for the landscaping.
Bonus: there's a chance you see moutain goats minding their own business if you look around!Written 2 December 2019
- As a fairly small nondescript town in Vietnam you wouldn't expect Phat Diem to have such an impressive cathedral. It was both the size and style that kept me wandering the grounds for about 1 hour. While I was there it is peaceful. Overall I would say it has been maintained well with only a few areas needing repair and no rubbish.Written 21 December 2020
- It was a nice place to visit. Should read before came here or you can ask for a narrator. Rich history and beautiful architecture.
But beware of the motorbike ride offer outside the entrance. The narrator said that there are 2 main place Dinh temple and Le temple. But the locals ride you to about 10 places. They said 10000 VND each motor, however, it turned out a lie. At each destination, you pay them 10000 VND. After the trip is over, you may think it 100000 VND in total. The answer is no. You pay them 110000 VND (10000 VND at the beginning) or more depend on they take picture of you or not.Written 15 January 2021
- An informative visit. The explanation boards were good and there was ample opportunity to take photos.Written 15 January 2020
- Worth to walk or cycle to this temple if you are in the area. The temple is nice to visit and free of charge. The countryside around it is fantastic, gorgerous and quiet.You don't need too much time to visit the temple but you need a while to reach it if you decide to walk.Written 21 January 2020
- The water is clean and transparent under the river. The boat driver is very friendly, she even paddled slowly for me to take pictures.
Sitting on the boat too long makes me sleepy, to be honest.
But i know that they avoid canoes for environmental protection, can't be helped.Written 28 February 2020
- The Rong Market is a great place to get lost and take photos if you're in Ninh Binh and you have a couple of hours to spare. There are several areas (meat, fish, veggies, shoes, clothes...) and people just sell and buy. And there aren't many tourists, so, it's a good place to get a taste of the local culture.Written 22 October 2017
- What a lovely place!!
Picturesque, serene and splendidly beautiful place!
a must vivit when you are visiting Vietnam!Written 11 December 2018
- The Hoa Lu Ancient Capital was part of the group itinerary that I was on, so normally I would not have made a visit here. Although we only stayed an hour, so it wasn’t too bad to gain a history lesson about the Ancient Capital of Hoa Lu.Written 9 January 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about Ninh Binh
- The best day trips from Ninh Binh according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Ninh Binh Full-Day Tour from Hanoi to Hoa Lu, Tam Coc & Mua Cave Via Boat & Bike
- Full-Day Ninh Binh Highlights Tour from Hanoi
- Ninh Binh Day Trips- from Hanoi
- 1 Day Luxury Tour in Bai Dinh, Trang An and Mua Cave
- Deluxe Hoa Lu Trang An Mua Cave Small Group - Cruising, Biking,Hiking, Limousine