- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
Types of Attractions
Nature & Parks
Nature & Parks
10 places sorted by traveller favourites.
We perform checks on reviews
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- We walked the loop through the rain forest, it was sprinkling, but it was beautiful anyway! The walk is pretty easy if you are able to walk up and down hills (the hills have steps). The walk is so worth it.
The falls are beautiful, even when it's sprinkling!!Written 1 October 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Easily accessible, classic waterfall wish lush green setting. Small-ish parking lot offers free parking - we found just waiting a few minutes and a parking space opened up. There are restrooms (toilets) and the waterfall can be viewed after a short walk (paved path). There is plenty of viewing "space" - short drive to central Hilo town.Written 1 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- These falls are one of the few that are well signposted and there is adequate parking as well. A short distance from the parking area are 2 routes that can be easily walked. The upper fall area is pretty uninspiring but the lower falls route offers spectacular views of the twin falls. It can be a bit slippy underfoot but this is usually only after some heavy rain. Some people venture into the pools which on the day we visited looked cold but I suppose they got some good photos.Written 23 February 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Awesome experience! My daughter and I did the Zipline tour with John, Hunter, Maka and Hog. We had so much fun and the guides were great! My husband and other daughter did the ATV tour and had a blast as well! Highly recommend The Umauma Experience!Written 4 June 2022
- I give this five stars because we did a horseback riding trip through the valley. Otherwise it’s a long STEEP hike. Remember what goes down must come up. Or you can very cautiously and slowly drive 4 wheel drive down and not enjoy the view because you are focused on the road. And, at the bottom, it’s mostly private land so you can’t just march over to the falls. Either be prepared for a serious hike, enjoy the falls from the easy to get to lookout (nice place for a picnic), or do a horseback tour.Written 17 April 2021
- This waterfall is located on the Wailuku river upriver a short distance from Pe’epe’e Falls and can be seen from the bridge over the Wailuku. Just on the North side of the bridge there are wide spots where you can park and walk back to the bridge to take photos of Wai’ale Falls and the manmade falls closer to the bridge. Also, just north of the bridge on the westside of the road is a trailhead that allows access to the falls and pool. If you are in the area to see Rainbow and Pe’epe’e drive a little more and make this a waterfall tri-fecta.Written 7 April 2022
- This state park is located in the mountains above Hilo encompassing a portion of the Wailuku River. There are two separate sections of this park. Waianuenue Falls (Rainbow Falls) and Boiling Pots.
Both are easily accessed from Waianuenue Avenue and more importantly are FREE.
Rainbow Falls is best viewed in the morning to get more of the Rainbow effect from the spray.
Well worth visiting while in the Hilo areaWritten 3 April 2022
- Pe’epe’e Falls can be seen, albeit from a distance, from the Boiling Pots viewpoint. When we visited in March 2022 there could be seen 4 distinct falls. The falls are partially blocked from view by a large rocky island in the middle of the Wailuku River and vegetation. It is not recommended to trek to the falls as flash floods are known to happen in this area.Written 2 April 2022
- I always prefer to do the non touristy things , this is one of them! No one knows about this waterfall, there isn’t a fee/ fence around it, you can swim in it if you want. Yes the hike can be difficult but the world shouldn’t be paved for you, make your way thru the rocks and reap the reward of a beautiful waterfall all to yourself!Written 23 January 2018
- Beautiful swim and wonderful food, the crew was awesome. Thank you thank you thank thank you for making our vacation wonderful!Written 22 August 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Island of Hawaii
- These are the best places for groups seeking waterfalls in Island of Hawaii:See more waterfalls for groups in Island of Hawaii on Tripadvisor
- These are the most romantic places for waterfalls in Island of Hawaii:See more romantic waterfalls in Island of Hawaii on Tripadvisor