- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
13 places sorted by traveller favourites.
We perform checks on reviews
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- The staff is very knowledgeable. This was a great stop to see some really beautiful and unique orchids.Written 17 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We had some extra time to spend in Hilo and drove to the Liluokalani Gardens. What a pleasant surprise. The gardens were quite large and lots of parking available. We were unsure where to go so drove around the park a bit and then decided to park and walk. Interesting Japanese stone temples, wooden bridges, many water features to walk over (whether by stepping stones or wooden bridge). Peaceful quiet area around 4pm. We also walked to Coconut Island and spotted turtles enjoying the ocean waters.Written 15 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Absolutely beautiful!! We enjoyed a wonderful homeschool field trip here. Staff was exceptionally warm, friendly, and hospitable. What a variety of incredible plants! Highly recommend this gem of a garden.Written 30 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This Garden is amazing. 1st class. Many different types of plants. A beautiful setting. A "must see".Written 29 July 2022
- We were hear 10 years ago and we were glad we returned during this visit. The food was awesome and the knowledge received was also worth it. Great tour and experience!Written 2 October 2022
- According to signs, the garden is now operated by the community and is open on specified days of the week. We attended on a Friday and enjoyed our time. A self-guided tour is available, but we are not technologically proficient, so we just wandered around and read the signs. Two men, who were laboring in the garden, approached us and offered assistance. They were very pleasant -- good ambassadors. The garden commendably focuses on historical uses of plants by local peoples and does not focus on "entertainment" as much as on education. When we visited, admission was free, but donations are encouraged -- which are very worth making.Written 22 April 2022
- The gardens were pretty but needed some attention. Things looked a little scruffy an too natural. There is so much potential for a really beautiful spot.
Also our tour had the buffet lunch here which also needed some attention. There wasn't quite enough room for our large group. The food was so-so and the setting was rather tired looking. This place needs some love.
Oh yes, there was a gift shop but it was closed.Written 19 March 2019
- You will need to be able to do steps but the extend of the gardens are all visible from the front stairway so it’s not large. We didn’t go into the building so I’m not sure if they have events or reading material. I can understand the previous comments about not well marked. There are signs, but they don’t always look like what you see — and so it’s hard to know what is what. Probably could be cleared out a bit. But it’s planted by region of the world which was interesting and you can still you can enjoy the unique greenery, trees and flowers.Written 14 November 2021
- This was an amazing experience that we just happened upon. There
is a path to walk down through this incredible botanical garden design by the Japanese owner. It is meticulously kept up and eat area is more beautiful than the next. We wound our way down to the bottom where the infinity pool is and sat at tables to sample their coffee. This coffee is only sold at this Plantation and the rest is shipped over to Japan. An incredible experience.Written 9 March 2020
- If you plan on visiting Volcano Village, you must stop at Volcano Garden Arts! Ira’s gallery is a beautiful and peaceful space, full of unique gifts and treasures. My husband and I spent quite a while browsing the gallery and the outdoor gardens. We purchased a few gifts for family members, as well as a couple of Ira’s clay masks to take home with us. We also had the pleasure of meeting Ira during our visit. He is such a kind, generous, and welcoming soul. We can’t stop talking about how much we love this gallery, and we can’t wait for our next visit to add to our collection!Written 1 June 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Island of Hawaii
- These are the best places for kid-friendly gardens in Island of Hawaii:See more gardens for children in Island of Hawaii on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for groups seeking gardens in Island of Hawaii:See more gardens for groups in Island of Hawaii on Tripadvisor
- These are the best hidden gems for gardens in Island of Hawaii:See more hidden gem gardens in Island of Hawaii on Tripadvisor