Points of Interest & Landmarks • Scenic Drives
- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
23 places sorted by traveller favourites.
We perform checks on reviews
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- You need to take the road to arrive to the Mauna Kea summit.
It is a mostly all the time 2 lines per direction good road.Written 29 November 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- So many interesting things to see. We went to where the road ended going towards Kilauea where we had a fantastic view of the red hot lava. Taking the road down to the ocean we saw old deep creators and watched the waves crash against the rock bluff.Written 29 November 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Hwy 250 - Kohala Mountain Road. We made this drive a couple of times during our visit to the Big Island. The first time we drove from Hawi to Waimea, on our way to Hilo. It has an unexpected loveliness - so lush and green. We enjoyed it again the 2nd time when we were re-routed by the police, due to fires along the Akoni Pule Hwy.Written 10 July 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We arrived at 5:15 and the parking lot filled up soon after- there is overflow parking a little ways down the road. Is a mile hike out to see the lava and a mile back. Most is on a black top road and then it transitioned to gravel.
When we arrived several people were sitting and standing right at the front and were waiting for a couple of hours to see the night lava. The park ranger tried to get them to move to allow others the up front spot but no one would move. She threatened calling the police and then left and didn’t come back. What the park service should do is have a roped off area that people walk through get there pictures and then have to leave the front and get back in line if they want later pictures.Written 22 July 2022
- We drove portions of this route northbound to Captain Cook on the west side and from Volcano to Waimea on the eastside, then down 190 to Saddle Road.
Along this road you will find amazing vistas from the ocean to lush farmlands. There are many roadside fruit stands and other local attractions. Passing through towns of Pahala, Captain Cook, Keaau, Waimea, Honokaa and many others.
But do not expect to get anywhere quickly especially in the morning heading into Hilo or in the afternoon heading out of Hilo. This areas traffic rivals the worst traffic in SoCal.
Portions of this road is designated as Hawai’i Scenic Byway “The Slopes of Mauna Loa” and passes through some interesting lava fields. It also provides access to Hawai’i Volcanos National ParkWritten 1 April 2022
- This is the main road in the National Park.
The entrance to HVNP is on Crater Rim drive. A short distance from H-11 is the Entrance Station where the toll is paid to enter. If you continue straight after the entrance the visitor center is just ahead on the right and a little further on is the Steam Vent field including Wahinekapu (Steaming Bluff). About a half mile further is the Kilauea Military Camp. Continuing west is the turnoff for the Kilauea Overlook and the road is closed westbound at the Jagger Museum/Overlook parking lot on Uekahuna Bluff.
Turning left at the entrance station Crater Rim Drive provides access to the Kilauea Iki crater and trailhead, Nahuku (Thurston Lava Tube) and other overlooks. This portion of the road ends at the junction of Chain of Craters Road.Written 1 April 2022
- Very peaceful, beautiful, and isolated. It's a hidden road along the coastline of big island
However, it's a bit anxious and adventurous because can see live Lava nearbyWritten 25 January 2022
- We followed along with a driving app that took us up on the mountain range. It talked about how you could chose to buy property at the bottom of the ridge or up at the top depending on the different climate you wanted to live in. They said that this part of the island didn't get as much rain as other parts especially close to the shoreline but as we went up on top, there were expansive views of rolling green hills and horses out in the pasture. The change of the climate as the clouds rolled by was stunning. In fact, as we got down from the mountain and headed to the coast, we came across a most gorgeous rainbow.Written 29 February 2020
- You really should have a car when you visit the Big Island. There is so much diversity, even within the Volcanos National Park.Written 25 August 2021
- I am a lover of trees so I love this drive. Plaques appear affixed onto the trees because they were planted largely by celebrities during the 1930s and after WWII. We walked this scenic loop in the evening. There were so many birds as well, but I do adore this tree lined road.Written 17 November 2022
- This walk is along the kona coast from kona beach hotel to the ocean south to Keauhou.there are many historical places to see , such as Ahuena Heiau,makuaikaua church, hulihee palace and etc.it's on the west side so best time to walk is around15:00-17:00 , it's not too hot and the buildings get the sunlight for best photos.Written 26 November 2018
- The drive along the Kohala Coast is best way to learn and experience Hawaiian lifestyle, culture and history. There are many historic sites and trails and sacred temples (heiau). Drive through luxurious resorts and state parks with lovely beaches and trails. Enjoy scenic viewpoints of the ocean, lava fields, and volcanoes. The main roads along the west coast are Highway #19 (Queen Kaahumanu Highway) and #270 (Akoni Pule Highway) . Kailua-Kona is the centre of the west coast and has a multitude of resturants and shops, hotels and vacation homes to rent. Highway #11 (Mamalahoa Highway) heads south along the coast. It is just a few hours drive to the east coast of the Big Island.Written 2 April 2018
- pretty place. there are people cliff jump, a lot of people fishing. Very nice coast line, very good sight seeing placeWritten 17 April 2022
- Great little old town above Kona where they too grow coffee. Me and my cuz' favorite coffee was Aikane Kona Coffee hands down. Hope it wins best coffee ☕from people's choice at festival and cupping. Best coffee I ever tasted on this and all tourist of the island chain!!!!!Written 6 November 2019
- I was not about to hike a hour to get there. Honestly It would take more. You are battling with high winds and sand flying in your face the whole time. Full sun , no shade, totally not worth walking. You can take a pickup truck with other people like sardines for 20.00 from a local ( who is doing this illegally) or drive yourself. We drove ourselves in an infinity2x80 SUV. You would have no idea how to get there and what trail is safe and not rudded out so if you are not experienced ATV driver or 4x4 driver please do not attempt this. Its several trails who knows which one of them has big holes etc... You can't turn around much anywhere so your stuck. We opted to offer tip the pick up truck just to follow them. Now you could just follow them and not tip but it was worth it since the driver waited for us during our rough time getting through some spots. It was a 30 min drive up and back. Green sand hike down was about 5 minutes but there is a ladder you need to go down and much rocks. The space to get down is very thin so if your obese , forget it. Its tight. Great fun was had trying to get down there but again my husband is experienced rider but I would not recommend it for the beginner at all. Its nuts, very very bad conditions.Written 13 November 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Island of Hawaii
- These are the best places for adventurous scenic drives in Island of Hawaii:See more adventurous scenic drives in Island of Hawaii on Tripadvisor