- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
Types of Attractions
Sights & Landmarks
Sights & Landmarks
12 places sorted by traveller favourites.
We perform checks on reviews
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- A must visit for its houses, streets, businesses, restaurants and bars. Waterfront with its businesses on the Potomac.Written 7 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- If you want to partake in an inside tour, book prior to travelling; advanced reservations are required. Then, be sure to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your time to get through security and to obtain your ticket/label inside. By memory drinks are not allowed so empty those drink bottles prior to reaching the security point. Depending on the time of day the line to security can be quite long and it is outside so be sure to have a hat if sunny and hot. The tour is excellent. It begins with a video documenting the history of the Capitol Building with an American audience in mind, and this is followed by a tour led by a guide. Put your headphones on immediately so that you can hear your guide as there are multiple tours happening at any on time. My tour guide was very knowledgeable and open to questions. There is not a lot of time spent in any one space so be sure to have your camera ready to take photos as there is no going back. Well worthwhile.Written 13 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great neighborhood. Lots of restaurants, bars, and places to stay in the area. It can get a little sketchy over the weekends in the actual circle, but we never felt unsafe at any point. Very close to the metro as well.Written 2 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I loved seeing this place for the first time! Walking around at night not only felt safe, but exciting and fun.
The atmosphere is lively, and there is a plethora of good restaurants to enjoy. I particularly recommend Smoke and Barrel’s BBQ.
The metro station at Adams Morgan makes this neighborhood quite accessible. If you’re looking for a place to spent a fun evening on the town, I wholly recommend coming here.Written 6 November 2021
- Compared to other city’s “China Town” , other than the gate, there was not much of China Town feel. The area offer some great eating options and walkable to tourist sites.Written 16 June 2022
- A visit to U street is not complete unless you stop here. The half smoke is out of this world, delicious and messy.Written 4 January 2020
- We rented an apartment in H St between 6th and 7th for an 8 mth stay. Not knowing Washington or H St we have been pleasantly happy with the area.
We gather this has been an area that has been re-generated over the last few years and this certainly seems to be the case.
There is a Whole Food shop almost opposite and we can also walk to a Giant food store too.
The roads off H St seem nice residential streets.
We are happy to walk to Union Station and have always felt safe.
Good provision of busses and street car. Metro at Union Station about 15-17 min walkWritten 29 September 2022
- If you are visiting in downtown DC, you can't avoid Pennsylvania Avenue. So take some time and enjoy walking along the route from the White House to the Capitol. For those of us living in the Midlands, we watch presidential inaugurations, see the size of crowds for those events, watch parades etc. So it is wonderful to actually be there and become more familiar with this avenue.Written 13 October 2019
- .. worth visiting as part of the U Str. corridor, very close to Howard University.. very nice for a spring or an autumnal walk... most of the houses around the circle itself are historical, redone well and absolutely charming..Written 7 November 2017
- The Shaw neighborhood in DC was historically a locus of middle to upper class African Americans, many of whom were faculty and staff at Howard University. The 19th and early 20th century row houses and some single family dwellings have been gentrified and the neighborhood is more mixed racially. Locus of African American music, literature, dance, and art . Several good Ethiopian restaurants and other eateries in this neighborhood, including Ben's Chili Bowl Restaurant frequented by Obama.Written 13 October 2019
- Mt. Pleasant is a small historic area in the City between 16 St. NW and the National Zoo. It used to be a village outside Washington D.C. and belief it or not it is in the heart of the city nowadays and you can reach it by bus (from Chinatown and ends there), the Green and Yellow lines stop at Columbia Height Station, and any North- South buses on 16th street and 14 street (with Irving Street Stop). It used to be considered a Latino area of town and still maintain that look and feel, However, it has become a small street with ethnic and American food and quite popular and well known around town. Even with Covid-19, the area is open and alive with social distance and safety in mind. Come to visit Mt. Pleasant especially the Saturday Market, or walk around the village to see flowers and beautiful housing before or after your meals.Written 24 September 2020
- ...taking a trip up Connecticut Ave into Chevy Chase, will give a glimpse into a more suburban and rather wealthy part of town, with large well tended houses and manicured lawns.. From Connecticut, take a right on Military Ave. Essentially, from there to Rock Creek Park, the area comprised between Military Rd. and Western Ave. to the North, is Chevy Chase, DC and North of Western to Connecticut and on to Wisconsin is Chevy Chase, MD. It's a quiet area with impeccable gardens that is worth visiting to get a glimpse at another facet, more suburban of the capital...Written 29 December 2017
Frequently Asked Questions about Washington DC
- These are the best places for kid-friendly neighbourhoods in Washington DC:See more neighbourhoods for children in Washington DC on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for groups seeking neighbourhoods in Washington DC:See more neighbourhoods for groups in Washington DC on Tripadvisor