- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
52 places sorted by traveller favourites.
We perform checks on reviews
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
Showing results 1-30 of 52
What travellers are saying
- Great to get put of the urban jungle and out on the water. Lots of herons and turtles, and a couple of small waterfalls upstream. I've rented kayaks several times at Fletcher's to paddle upstream to Chain Bridge and back. You could also paddle on the C&O Canal from here instead of on the river; it's calm and has no current.
This location requires a car to get there, and there are planes overhead, so it's not true wilderness, but the scenery is pretty, and it's otherwise quiet.
Recommend paddling upstream first so you don't have to work as hard on the return when you're tired. However check the tide levels and wind direction, because this affects how hard you have to paddle in either direction. For example, if the wind and/or tide are against you on the return, even though you're going downstream, allow plenty of time to get back to the dock.Written 2 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Always a fun place to browse and happen upon new books. Happened upon an interview by NPR's Ari Shapiro of an author; their book didn't interest me, but nonetheless it was fun to watch!Written 23 July 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- After grabbing a coffee at Starbucks (where the barristas were very friendly and seemed to know all the locals by name), I checked out the Farmers Market while they were setting up. Lots of beautiful breads, baked goods, fruits and vegetables, flowers and more. A guy ran through ringing a cow bell to signify that the market was open at 9:00 am. The crowd really picked up after 10:30. First time I have ever bough bourbon at a farmers market! One Eight Distilling had a booth.Written 30 July 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I walked over to pick up some souvenirs for some friends back home. This store has a large selection of DC gifts! You’re sure to find something for everyone on your list! Staff is extremely courteous and helpful.Written 27 September 2020
- It is cute for a one time visit. I've done it, and wouldn't go again, but it was nice to go through the rooms and find the hidden doors.Written 25 August 2022
- My kindle was dead and I couldn't find the charging cord. So at one of the museums, one of the guides recommended the book store. It wasn't too find walking from the DuPont metro.
It took a minute to figure out how the books were set out but was then able to find the categories that I was looking for. I found two books that I picked up that weren't too expensive.
On the other hand, if you are looking for some higher value books they have them also. The proprietors were able to answer my questions fairly quickly.
I plan to do a repeat visit on my next trip.Written 5 November 2019
- First time tasting an Olivia Macaron! We were lucky to be in DC/Georgetown during the Cherry Blossom festival and because of this we enjoyed the Cherry Blossom Macaron along with each of the best sellers! Beautiful texture and delicious flavors!!
Definitely recommend stopping to enjoy a selection of flavors!
Ps- my photo shows crushed macarons but that is because we walked from her shop in Georgetown all the way to the Lincoln Memorial and I dropped my bag (otherwise these were absolutely perfect macarons!)Written 5 April 2021
- During a business trip in Washington DC , I took some personal time and went to Chocolate House. As I walked down the stairs, my eager anticipation grew - I knew I was in for a real treat. I was not disappointed. In addition to beautiful chocolates that look like jewels and consist of high quality chocolates accented with fine coordinating and accents, they offer many different chocolate bars.
Go here to purchase chocolates for yourself, for your loved one (I purchased a box to bring to California to share with my husband - it took a lot of willpower to not eat some before arriving home), or for business associates. People who receive these chocolates will truly love the gift.Written 20 October 2019
- Great used books shop on the SE side of Capitol Hill. Two floors of an old home packed with books. A bit of organized chaos, but that is the charm of this place. Go in and see what crosses your path on the shelves. To get there, you can take the metro, but even better is a stroll from the US Congress on Capitol Hill through one of the oldest neighborhoods of DC with some nice small charming houses lining C Street. Definitely worth a visit if you like (used) books.Written 2 February 2020
- Miss Pixie’s is top of my list of shops when I visit D.C. Living in England, I can’t shop for furniture there, but I am doing well with other items! The shop inventory is so interesting and I am in my happy place while browsing! I’ll be back in 2020!Written 5 January 2020
- I wanted to purchase some decent cigars to bring home to Canada, and was not disappointed. The staff were very knowledgeable and helpful. Great selection at very good prices.
My humidor is now full of exquisite arturo Fuentes!!!Written 18 October 2021
- One of the few bean to bar places I enjoy. They take you through their journey of finding their beans and then the roasting process. The end of the tour has a tasting that allows you to learn the different elements of tasting chocolate. Their product quality is outstanding and I find their barrel aged bars to be a unique flavor that is worth a taste. This is a little off the beaten path but a place for chocolate lovers.Written 29 July 2018
- If you are going to DC, you need to go to Neuhaus chocolates. Every visitor can sample the chocolate and once you do,you will be hooked. The chocolates are a little pricey, but they are so good they are worth it.Written 14 March 2019
- One of the few olive oil/basamic vinegar places left in the DC metro area--and still the best. Able to taste everything. Prices decent, especially if you join their club. Save for bottles to teturn & recycle. We come regularly.Written 8 March 2020
- I ordered a book for collection by phone last week. Unfortunately, the store had to temporarily close before the book could be collected, so the staff arranged for the book to be delivered instead. I could not ask for better customer service, the staff - Margo, in particular - were so kind, courteous and helpful at all stages and hence I was happy to be supporting their business. I would recommend this shop to anybody in the DC area. Also, if you are ordering from abroad, they are able to cater to people shopping from all over the world. I have never known better service from a bookshop!Written 11 December 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about Washington DC
- These are the best places for kid-friendly gift & speciality shops in Washington DC:See more gift & speciality shops for children in Washington DC on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for couples seeking gift & speciality shops in Washington DC:See more gift & speciality shops for couples in Washington DC on Tripadvisor