Top Attractions in Buncrana
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- We had a short visit to the fort on a visit to Donegal.
It's not the easiest place to get to, although it is signposted from about 5miles out.
It's an interesting site with a fairly long history, with most of the exhibition focusing on WW1 and WWII.
Depending on how long you want to stay you can simply visit the fort or climb to the top of the hill to see the lookout point, old army buildings, and hilltop view (which would be trying on a wet day).Written 11 June 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Beautiful walk flooding damage restoration going on but still a beautiful walk accessible for most peopleWritten 22 February 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Peaceful and beautiful
Perfect for swimming or just strolling
We always like to walk the dogs here, with plenty of space for them to run aroundWritten 10 February 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Heidi at the tourist office was so helpful. She explained what to see ,where to go and booked us into accommodation and restaurant. This allowed us to visit this magic area and know we were organised for the evening.Written 4 August 2022
- Great short walk - lovely views and accessible for all the family - a good way to learn about some local history whilst enjoying some family time together.Written 19 April 2022
- My husband, toddler, baby and I checked out this beach on the recommendation of a family member that had stayed in the area the previous week. Even with the tips on how to access it, down a grassy path through the dunes, we missed the parking area for it despite another car being parked there. It is very near the turn off to Dunree Fort. It is a lovely beach. Worth checking out if in the area. However, we were more blown away by the nearby Gap of Mamore and Lenan Strand/Lenankeel beach: check these out if you can. That's Donegal for you though-spoilt for choice when it comes to beaches🏖️🙌🌞Written 5 August 2021
- I had a lovely walk along this beach pushing our 9 month old which is easily accessible just off the R238. I enjoyed watching the Swilly ferry motor from Buncrana to Rathmullan. Changeable weather but heavy rain held off thankfully. My husband and toddler were digging in the sand. It is worth stopping if passing by but I think there are even better Donegal beaches on the Inishowen peninsula which I'd recommend quicker if you have more time to go in search of eg Kinnagoe Bay, Five finger strand and Pollan Strand. However as I write this, we have not visited all the beaches on the Inishowen. The aim is to hit as many as we can in our last week of a 2 week holiday here!!Written 31 July 2021
- Great to learn about John Newton and his terrible slave trade past, turned redemptive. Loved the view of the bridge.Written 19 September 2021
- Friendly staff, very reasonably priced and great service. The kids always have a ball here while i grab a coffee and a bit of breather : )Written 31 March 2022
- This was not the most impressive old castle or building I saw along my trip, but the entire shore walk in Buncrana provided a good look at history and nature. The keep and castle along the walk were nice to look at but not as compelling as some of the other ruins I visited. Overall, the walk (I had a sunny spring day) was an excellent way to get some exercise and learn new things.Written 21 April 2016
- Beautiful beach which can be reached by car or on foot . From Buncrana shore front walk past Neds point, porthaw beach and Fr Hegartys Rock, it’s a beautiful walk for the energetic .Written 5 September 2021
- Not to far from Buncrana port is a beautiful cove beach . It’s great for children and beautiful clean sand . It’s about 5 minutes walk from neds point on the beautiful shore path .Written 5 September 2021
- Leave a book take a book great idea on a lovely walk very cute more of these should b put into placeWritten 22 February 2020
- I'll start with the bad , the fort is closed!
The good thing is that there's a lovely walk from here into Buncrana .
There is a carpark but little else apart from beautiful views.Written 11 November 2018
- St. Marys Oratory in Buncrana is a beautiful and peaceful church, and there is no better place to spend an hour or two, either at the Grotto dedicated to Our Lady of Lourds at the side of the Church, or at the Adoration Chapel underneath the Church, the Adoration Chapel is opened till 12 midnight.Written 17 June 2017
Frequently Asked Questions about Buncrana