- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
3 places sorted by traveller favourites.
We perform checks on reviews
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- I stopped here with my daughter on our way from Dublin to Galway. It isn’t too far out of the way and is ably halfway in between. It was great for my daughter to get out and run around on the playground equipment. The grounds are quite large and there is a lot of empty space. We didn’t explore all of it but we did see the giant telescope and the stream near the castle which were fun to see. It is a good place to let kids be able to run around. The science center part is pretty small and I didn’t find all that interesting.Written 18 October 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Booked an hour long horse trek for 4 of us during our stay at Kinnity Castle and could not recommend the experience enough. I was a bit nervous as a beginner and having never been on a horse before but maeve ensured to make it a wonderful experience for us all and made me feel so calm and truly enjoy the experience. Maeve was just exceptional. The 5 horses were also so well behaved and placid. I could not say a bad word about the experience, it was a bucket list activity for me and I am so glad I did it. Overall an amazing experience. Thank you Maeve.Written 19 March 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The monumental column that stands in the centre of Birr, which was erected to commemorate the Duke of Cumberland is the first of its type to have been erected in Ireland. It consists of a monumental Doric column standing on a tall square pedestal that rises to a height of 13.5 m or just under 44 feet. It dominates the fine central square in which it stands providing an elegant urban landmark on the principal axes of the town. Constructed in 1746-7, to the design of a young Irish architect called samuel Chearnley, it was commissioned by a local landowner sir Lawrence Parsons of the nearby Birr Castle, to commemorate the English victory, under Cumberland, over the scots at Culloden.Written 11 October 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Frequently Asked Questions about Birr
- These places are best for sights & landmarks in Birr:See more sights & landmarks in Birr on Tripadvisor