Visitor Centres • Speciality Museums
5 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
We perform checks on reviews.
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- This is a marvellous museum for nostalgia and reminiscing about decades past .Well worth a visit especially if you were born before 1970Written 16 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Went today with my 2 kids, an absolute gem of a place and the staff are outstanding. So friendly and patient, they made sure the kids left all excited and full of stories. Well worth a visit!Written 4 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The interior of this church is very beautiful. It is worth visiting to see the columns, if nothing else. They are made of a gorgeuos green stone called Connemara marble, from an area northeast of Athlone. It's a real showcase for this unique geological material.Written 5 July 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The gallery is located on the river and the light pouring in through the glass lined corridor is stunning in itself.
The gallery features different local artists and is well worth a visit. Some beautiful thought provoking pieces on display.
Their is currently no admission charge.Written 6 October 2020
- A beautiful old cemetery with well preserved and maintained monastic ruins. Do not forget to stop at the well!Written 4 September 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Athlone
- These are the best places for budget-friendly museums in Athlone:See more budget-friendly museums in Athlone on Tripadvisor