Ancient Ruins • Castles
- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
25 places sorted by traveller favourites.
We perform checks on reviews
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- I really enjoyed this tour. I was not familiar with the history of the Middle ages in Ireland and this visit was not only interesting from an architectural point of view but also as a history lesson. Margaret our guide was well informed and very kind to our little boy. She gave him colouring sheets of the castle and of a knight, as this Castle was a training place for children to become a Knight. She also told us the great story about the Ape head on the fascade.
Vale la pena la visita. El edificio es muy bonito, pero las historias y anecdotas son aun mejores. Muy recomendadoWritten 22 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A brilliant experience. We had a wonderful welcome from the enthusiastic volunteers. And a ride on this remarkable train, including its remarkable turntable arrangements. The Lartigue monorail is a reminder of an extraordinary public transport system and should be better known. It deserves to prosper and I hope it willWritten 13 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Fantastic experience and a great insight into the life and times of John B. Keane and other famous Kerry writersWritten 1 October 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This is a lovely friendly race meeting - run very professionally - never any trouble or hassle - so its a yearly event for me.Written 18 September 2019
- A green and peaceful memorial to the foibles of war. Close to the river and well worth the walk. I even picked up some artisitc ideas for my own garden.Written 22 January 2019
- Not a church anymore but converted to an interesting Center. It's right in the middle of town and easy to visit. Cool place. It says a lot about the community.Written 30 March 2018
- Visited BASE fitness at Listowel Community Centre, great facility with state of the art cardio machines, friendly staff and positive atmosphere.Written 11 June 2019
- Statue situated just beside the town square. It is very famous in Listowel. There is more historical places in Listowel in relation to JB Keane and his literature. Welcome to take pictures.Written 6 March 2020
- This is one of the greatest private collections I have EVER seen!
Jim Halpin has done outstanding work, over many years, in putting together this awesome collection which should be on everybody's Must See List.
Well done Jim, we salute you!Written 11 December 2016
- My daughter is writing a book on her family from Listowel and wanted to spend a week in area talking with relatives and seeing everything that would give her a picture of 19th and early 20th century Ireland. Of course, the famine is one of the seminal events in recent Irish history. This graveyard is where the dead were buried - untold hundreds - sometimes in layers on top of each other because they were dying so fast. It is a quiet place to reflect and try and understand the depth of despair that these people endured. There are plaques to read while in the graveyard explaining a few of these things as well as a small chapel. It really is worth experiencing and understanding what happened during the potato famine.Written 25 October 2018
- This abbey is remote but in a beautiful location. It is quite unusual. It is a ruin with some interpretation at the entrance. It has an interesting history. Some walls remain but no roof. The footprint is completely filled with grave plots. You need to walk over graves to move around. This is rather weird and unsettling.Written 3 August 2022
- This beautiful park in the heart of Listowel offers something for everyone, walks, tennis, pitch & putt, leisure centre, playground and much more. Fantastic attraction well worth visiting.Written 30 June 2019
- Throughout the town of Listowel you can see exterior plaster or stucco work done by local plasterer and artist Pat McAuliffe who lived and worked in the town from 1846 to 1921.Written 12 November 2017
- An 'old school ' type of pub with a friendly welcome, where chat, conve, friendly debate , humour and craic are encouraged. Very clean. Billy definitely top class host and publican. And I got my book signed. A very happy, relaxed, enjoyable few hours in great company. Unfortunately we weren't able to stay on longer to enjoy the trad sesiun that had started just before we left... Next time .... might even be a Tues or Thursday to see the drama and poetry performances.Written 22 July 2022
- Diane and Andy were fantastic. We emailed a few companies to enquire at short notice availability and they got back first and straight away. Incredibly knowledgeable and helpful the whole experience was a pleasure. Will definitely use their service again and would throughly recommend them.Written 20 November 2021