Top Attractions in Big Bear Lake
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- beautiful little zoo, paved paths, easy to navigate with my walker, we visited in late october, pleasant visit, on a weekday..worth your while if you are in the area, and it is a rescue/rehabilitate zoo, if they can, they release the animals back into the wild, if not they provide them nice home.Written 31 October 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Amazing hike.. parking was a little rough along the main road and you do need a pass to park/hike (only $5 at a 7-11 in town). We started the hike from bottom up and it is a out and back hike. Amazing views up to Castlerock, after that it's just a trail through the forest to the end. Still worth doing. Well paved with stepping stones for steps and markers along the path to guide your way. Pretty awesome views and area with boulder rocks to chill at and take pics. Quick elevation gain to start, but if you're in decent shape, it's not bad. Will do this hike again when in area... totally worth it.Written 13 November 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Beautiful lots of birds squirrels beautiful flowers and green trees beautiful lake very quiet and peacefulWritten 23 July 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- My little one was too young to snowboard with his older siblings, so I brought him here while the rest of the family hit the slopes. This was perfect! We are from Hawaii, so my son just wanted to play in snow. We bought tickets for tubing, and we were able to enjoy that activity as well as play in the kiddie area just above it. He romped around in the snow, made snowballs, build snow structures, and had a total blast. We also went down the tubing slopes a number of times, which was a thrill. (My only critique is that the slopes got really thin and icy... seemed like they could use another layer of snow for increased safety) The facility only takes cash and it was not busy at all when we visited in late March. We stayed for 2.5 hours and got an ice cream cone on the way out. Thank you to the nice worker who gave us a free replacement after we dropped our first one! Overall, a great snow experience for a mom and 4 year old!Written 23 March 2022
- Nice path, easy to navigate with walker, plenty of rest spots, places to take in nature, walk right down to the lake, has picnic areas, you see the lake through the forest as you walkWritten 31 October 2022
- A moderate 5.5 mile hike up the mountain with beautiful views. Toward the top there are benches to rest. A wonderful activity.Written 8 August 2022
- We had such a wonderful walk along the boardwalk! It was a sunny clear day and the walk was so enjoyable! Half way are some benches we used to just sit and relax!Written 29 April 2022
- Right off of Big Bear Blvd. on Pine Knot Rd.
Definitely worth it to stop in and pick up the Big BearGuide which is my favorite "pocket guide". The Big Bear Lake Official Visitors Guide with a Calendar of Events which is also available online at Big Bear dot com
And Big Bear Today Mag dot com also available online so you know which weekends will be the MOST CROWDED with events.
And while there walk about 50 ft down to the Pine Knot Marina and buy your tickets to Miss Liberty boat tour of the Lake. :-)
IMPORTANT TIP ;-)
There are only three Highways up the mountain. Hwy 18, Hwy 38 and 330 to Running Springs One or the other will CLOSE FREQUENTLY for maintenance in the Summer, Spring & Fall.
For example in June 2021 Hwy 18 was closed at Running Springs from 8:30am to 3:30pm Monday thru Thursday for maintenance and we could not get up to Big Bear and ended up driving back down the mountain and then back up Hwy 38.
In the Winter the snow can close the Highways. YOU MUST CARRY CHAINS IN THE WINTER EVEN IF IT IS NOT SNOWING
CHECK THE DAY YOU ARE DRIVING UP with either:
Big Bear Mountain Resort dot com /transportation/road-conditions
CalTrans or twitter - big bear roads Or the person(s) you rented your accommodations fromWritten 19 June 2021
- If you want a mountain drive with a super view ... check it out.
Be properly prepaired for off roar driving. But most cars with off road safety are clear to go.Written 12 May 2020
- We got to the trail around 10 am. We only walked the first mile or so. It was quiet because it was a Tuesday.Written 11 June 2022
- Tip: go to the bathroom at the picnic area on Mill creek road near Pine knot trailhead. No bathrooms at Bluff Lake.
Loved seeing the Hilda butterflies and frogs at Bluff lake. The trail around the lake is so easy that I want to bring my Handicapped Mom here—she uses a cane.
Check the hours and months it is open. Only open May to November, I think. 9:00am to 6:00pm.
I have the best chats with the rangers here. 😀Written 8 August 2020
- Everyone on a spiritual journey should take a peek at this faith center. I went to big bear for a romantic retreat and feel I'm closer to my wife and the Lord because of this faith centerWritten 20 February 2017
- Fabulous walk if you can find the entrance! Good Luck! The entrance in Snow Summit Ski Resort was “no trespassing” this time of year so we went to the entrance off Knickerbocker Road which you need a four wheel vehicle to travel the 2/10 of a mile dirt road to the walking path entrance. We did not have a 4 wheel vehicle so we walked this hill - wow my heart was beating! The rest of the trail was a easy walk and so spectacular as you walked along the side of the mountain!Written 30 April 2022
- This trail was really close to a cabin we rented, Ski View Chalet, and so we went on it several times. There are really nice views of the lake.Written 13 November 2018
- We were not able to enjoy the beach since the water has receded so bad. The shore was full to rocks and algae. Hope the rains come soon!Written 2 July 2018
Frequently Asked Questions about Big Bear Lake
Big Bear Lake Attractions Information
|Local Time||Thursday 11:35 PM|