Top Attractions in Praia A Mare
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- Stayed at a friend's villa at The Bridge near San Nicola Arcella. Went 4/3/20 due to return to the UK 11/3/20.....so long story shortened.....flights stopped 10/3/20!!!
So my friend and I had a direct view of Dino Island daytime, dusk and dawn: sun and rain et al! The sea surrounding the island is ever changing, rarely the same. The sea and horizon sometimes defined and other times, ran together. Dino looked so interesting we googled for it's history, fascinating it was. Look for yourselves please. Anyway with flights stopping, airports closing but few Covid 19 cases in the South of Italy, we could only look at Praia and Dino from the heights of The Bridge. We were in this 'Golden Cage' for 56 days, allowed by the Police to shop, with masks and gloves in nearby San Nicola Arcella, a beautiful village with all needs catered. We were lucky and happy. Shall want to revisit this stunning part of Italy. Poorer financially but rich in it's lovely people, food and scenery. Roll on that day!Written 17 May 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Living in nearby Tortora Marina we are often in Praia shopping or taking visitors around. It is the No 1 place to take visitors to Praia, it is delightful and so unusual to see a church situated in a cave. In the heat of summer upon reaching the cave there is an air of calm and it is always so fresh up there. It is well worth the climb up the steps to reach the cave.Written 3 March 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Beautiful place. 5 of us were able to see both caves from a €10 euro paddle boat rental. Definitely don't miss this!Written 23 October 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I really liked Buddha Beach - it's in a really beautiful spot at Praia A Mare and looks over to Dino Island and out to sea with the mountains for a backdrop. The sun loungers are comfy and really worth the money and I love all the different places you can chill out, from hammocks to four poster beds. The pebbles are painful on the feet but it's not too much of a problem if you wear your sandals to the water's edge. The food at the bar isn't really the cheapest but it's okay and really convenient.Written 15 August 2015
- We discovered Praia a Mare around 30 years ago, when we came on holiday. Over the years it has grown. We loved it so much that when we retired 8 years ago we decided to move to Tortora Marina the town that runs into Praia. Just one word of warning for visitors from abroad you cannot change currency into Euros down here.....they have not yet woken up to the fact that this service is badly needed, so when visiting unless you have a credit/debit card you will not be able to change foreign cash at either a bank or post office. The "Viale" is a delightful place to take your evening 'Passegiata' under the tree lined, traffic free road. Even though I have had to mark when I travelled below please note I am always here!!!Written 3 March 2018
- I was unable to find a TripAdvisor page specific to the boat tour provided by LidoYellow Boat in Praia a Mare, so I am writing it here. The beach resort itself seemed fine. This review is for the boat tour we took after buying the ticket beside the Lido Yellow snack bar.
The boat tour around Dino Island and on to San Nicola Arcella was a very disappointing experience. The trip exemplifies all that is wrong with mass tourism. Smack in the middle of Covid-19, no concessions whatsoever were in place on the boat at any time. No one wore masks, no one used hand sanitizer, no one socially distanced. The organisation of the trip was confusing as the boat arrived and departed from the beach earlier than we were told and we thought we’d been stranded, but it went and collected people from the nearby beach and returned to collect the rest of us.
The trip around the island was pretty enough, but impossible to enjoy because of the excruciatingly loud music and “compèring” provided by our boat’s captain-cum-DJ. On the way out, the music was so loud that I had to put my fingers in my ears. On the way back, the skipper was on a long phone call, so the music was turned down.
The quick trip around the island highlighted its beauty but the highlights for many seemed to be the way nature had been spoiled by mankind. The pretty trullo-type houses on the island are left over from a failed attempt at establishing a hotel. The natural cave on the side of the cliff has been stuffed with a life-size Madonna statue, which drew “aahs” from those on board. The famous grottos were packed with pedalloes, flailing swimmers, and a steady stream of powerboats like ours, belching noxious fumes into the tiny, cramped environment. The captain threw bread into the sea on all sides of the boat to bring fish to the surface while cameras snapped away. David Attenborough would have a seizure.
The best part of the excursion was when we were driven to the nearby San Nicola Arcella bay for a bit of free time off the boat swimming. Even here, the place was packed with boats and swimmers to the extent that it felt unsafe to snorkel head-down for too long for fear of being hit.
We drove a long distance to come to Dino Island and expected paradise. Compared to the empty, unspoiled beaches, clear aquamarine sea, and secluded coves further south (Pizzo, Tropea), this was more like purgatory.Written 11 August 2020
- Large book shop, only one in town, good stock if you can read Italian!! After all it is in italy. Have looked at what they sell but not bought anything but my friend did buy for her hubby who is Italian.Written 22 October 2015
- Beautiful location, clear sea and the shore, there are a lot entertainment services (trying sup was the best decision), there is enough space between umbrellas. On Sunday animator played with kids. Personnel is very polite and fast. And they serve perfect lunch with a difference of options. Definitely recommend, amazing place to spend your summer.Written 24 July 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Praia A Mare