- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
Types of Attractions
Sights & Landmarks
Sights & Landmarks
4 places sorted by traveller favourites.
We perform checks on reviews
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- Katajanokka is actually an island. The Katajanokka channel separates it from the mainland, to which it is connected by four bridges.
The area by the bridges is known as Kanavaranta. Here you can find many charming restaurants.
Walking the streets, you can see beautiful Art Nouveau buildings constructed in the early 20th century.
Other important buildings are the Merikasarmi complex from 1825 (architect Carl Ludvig Engel) and the Finnish headquarters of Stora Enso from 1962 (architect Alvar Aalto).
However, the most popular sight is Uspenski Cathedral, the largest Orthodox cathedral in Western Europe.
The Finnish icebreakers with their mythical, powerful names such as Kontio (Bear), Otso (Bear), Voima (Strength), Urho (Braveness), and Sisu (Grit) are moored side by side here.
There is also a busy passenger harbor with Viking Line ferries to Tallinn and Stockholm.
From SkyWheel you can have a panoramic bird's eye view of the capital. Next to SkyWheel, you can swim in the year-round outdoor swimming pools.
There are three hotels in Katajanokka. The biggest one is Scandic Grand Marina in a former warehouse from the early 1900s. The most interesting hotel is an old prison dating back to 1837. The newest hotel is Noli Studios located in the former head office of Kesko.Written 15 December 2020
- Interesting individual shopping and lively terraces have shifted the city center south. The pedestrian street Iso Roobert has really bloomed to life this summer bringing new customers to shop in the area's design stores as well as classy second hand outlets. Unnew is the latest on Uudenmaankatu selling home decoration, an airy cafeteria is attached. Hakola on Annankatu carries the family tradition of Finnish made modern furniture lasting through generations, this season the colours are pastel. The Design District expands further to prestigious Boulevard where Hetzukoto sells brand hand bags second hand with exquisite clothing designed by the Thai owner.Written 17 July 2021
- Ullanlinna is the southernmost district of central Helsinki. The area is known for its waterfront promenades, numerous parks, and stunning art nouveau properties.
The name Ullanlinna refers to the fortress that was built on a hill during the 18th century under the reign of the Swedish Queen Ulrika Eleonora. In Swedish, Ullanlinna is called as Ulrikasborg.
The central part of Ullanlinna is marked by the Observatory Park, where is an observatory designed by Carl Ludvig Engel.
Other notable buildings are the Design Museum, the Museum of Finnish Architecture and the huge neo-Gothic landmark St. John's Church.
The seashore area is very popular for a stroll or a jog. Here you can find many seaside cafes.Written 17 May 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about Helsinki
- These places are best for neighbourhoods in Helsinki:See more neighbourhoods in Helsinki on Tripadvisor