Tours near Salla
Book these experiences to see what the area has to offer.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- Wilderness park offers really excellent dinner with local specialities. Mushroom soup for starter, then plenty of cold and warm delicates, traditional poronkäristys for main course and delicious cranberry based dessert. Superb tasting dinner and nice staff telling stories about life in Salla and reindeers.
This place is a true hidden gem. It is somehow difficult to find from their web site and online booking seem to be out of order. Use email or phone instead. There is only serve per day, the dinner starts at 17.45 local time and lasts about 3 hours.Written 24 February 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- As a first time skier, this was the perfect place for me to learn! The instructors are so kind and patient. The varied slopes were good for us as my partner is a very confident skier whereas the blue slopes were more than enough for me haha the food is lovely buy can get a little boring as it's mostly chips, burgers and pizzas. it's very expensive. a small (and I mean small) glass of wine was €11. the coach stops at a generous supermarket on the way to the resort. the two of us ate out for lunch and tea every day and spent about €700 on both food and drink for 7 days. we done the snow dogs reindeer and ski mobile excursions. for the two of us altogether those cost €600. we saw the northern lights when at the highest point on the ski mobiles and it was incredible driving through just the thick white snow! looked like something out of a cartoon. Best part was we got engaged out there 😊 we would definitely go back and have recommended it to others even if you don't want to ski.Written 4 March 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The lady who helped us was very very friendly. She took her time to explain the different attractions in Salla and gave us maps, pens, and stickers. Definitely stop by to meet this lovely lady!
On the basement of this building, there is a flea market. Didn’t end up buying anything but it was nice to see the stuff they had for sale.Written 4 January 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The museums is surprisingly capacious and gives a very good overlook about their history. Lots to absorb and read. I recommend to visit to get a thorough overview of past and future.Written 22 August 2021
- What a place! In the middle of nowhere and still in the middle of everything I needed: peace, quietness and nature.
Loved the hiking routes, everything so well marked. All huts had burning wood and a place to burn it if you wanted to heat water or cook a lunch.
Spent a week in the forest, loving every minute of it.Written 16 July 2020
- quaint little museum located in Salla.not a lot to see,but it is all very well laid out and the staff are very knowledgable..Written 15 February 2017
- Sallatunturi Snowshoe Trail is 5 kilometers long. It starts from Tunturikummuntie parking place (from the same point with Kappahanoja winter biking track). You can rent snowshoes from Salla Ski Center and walk to Tunturikummuntie parking place. The snowshoe trail is maintained well with snowmobiles. So it is very easy to walk there, often even without snowshoes. The trail climbs onto Fell Big Sallatunturi (Iso Sallatunturi). There is a wooden observation tower there. It is free and open 24/7. Views are breathtakingly marvelous! It was interesting to see snow-covered trees and many fells (Lapp mountains) around Fell Big Sallatunturi.Written 4 March 2020
- This is a free observation tower on the top of Fell Ruuhitunturi. It is open 24/7. You can start your hiking (in summer) or cross-country skiing (in winter) from Salla Reindeer Park or Sallatunturin Tuvat to get there. Views are extremely beautiful. You see up to Russia. I will never forget these views!Written 4 March 2020
- There are 160 kilometers of cross-country skiing tracks in Salla (43 kilometers of them are illuminated). We chose a cross-country skiing track from Salla Ski Center (Sallatunturin Tuvat) to Fell Ruuhitunturi and back. The total distance was 16 kilometers. You can also choose a longer track (Salla Ski Center - Fell Ruuhitunturi - Salla Reindeer Park - Salla Ski Center), which is 20 kilometers long.
We had a break in Ruuhitunturi Ski Cafe (also known as Ruuhitunturi Wilderness Cafe and Ruuhitunturin Kahvila). We ate very delicious doughnuts and drank warm juice there. They also have a room for accommodation. So you can stay overnight there if you want but you should book it in advance. It is only 500 meters from the ski cafe to the observation tower of Ruuhitunturi.
Cross-country skiing tracks are maintained very well. Views are extremely beautiful. I especially loved trees covered with huge amounts of snow. The snow depth on the ground was 120 centimeters. So you shouldn't go there if you haven't trained cross-country skiing. Instead of it you can take a snowmobile safari there.Written 4 March 2020
- Seen from the outside Snow Lounge Salla looks like a pile of snow. However, the interior is wonderful and amazing. You find an ice bar, an ice sculpture exhibition and accommodation rooms there. There isn't any entrance fee to the ice bar but you have to pay if you want to see all rooms including accommodation rooms and the ice sculpture exhibition. Everything is built of snow and ice from the local lake. They also have an ice chapel for weddings and anniversaries. Besides, they have year-round Aurora Hut glass igloos, which can float on lake water. This is a quite small but extremely astonishing place. You have to see this!Written 2 March 2020
- We booked a snowmobile tour during the day. It was a great journey in the middle of the wilderness. We got to 600mt on the hills behind Sallatunturi and the scenery was breathtaking.
The tour was 3 hours long with many small break along the way where the tour guides made sure everybody was fine with driving and vehicle.
We had the opportunity to take many pictures about snowy trees and the shapes the snow and ice can produced are unbelievable. Looks like to be in an enchanted, sleepy woods where all creatures and trees are sleeping.
We then stop by around the fire for a 30 min break. The guides offered us a hot Chocholate, tea or coffee plus a warm sandwiches.
Before leaving on the snowmobile overalls, boots, warm hats are provided in case you want to feel warmer. In our cases we were at -16 during the day. So additional layers was needed.
We travelled with our daughters: 5 and 7. For them a covered trailers has been arranged. So they really did not feel cold and enjoyed the experience.
Overall we really recommend this tour: professional, long, safe and the scenery was amazing.
One only point of improvement:
The guides could be more talkative and providing a few information about the place, the animals, any story they could share to entertain.
Having said that, they answered any questions we had and Kasper took very good care about our girls.
Thanks guysWritten 7 January 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Salla
- The best outdoor activities in Salla according to Tripadvisor travellers are: See all outdoor activities in Salla on Tripadvisor
Salla Attractions Information