- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
35 places sorted by traveller favourites.
We perform checks on reviews
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
Showing results 1-30 of 35
What travellers are saying
- This strategically placed castle evolved during centuries of battle for control of what was once disputed territory between Sweden and Russia. It is now famous for hosting the annual Opera Festival in Savonlinna.
Tours in Finnish and English are included in the entrance fee. Our tour attracted about 25 participants and another tour leaving at the same time had more people. Given the narrow stairs and hallways, it was sometimes very crowded and a bit chaotic. If you struggle with steep and uneven stairs, this is not for you! But the guide was good and the castle is a history lesson in itself.
.Written 17 July 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Fantastic opera festival in a beautiful setting.
The operas are of very high quality and the service is out of this world.
I am wheel-chair bound and the personnel meets you outside the medieval castle and pushes, drags and almost carries you into the stands. After the opera the same again in reverse.
Everybody is friendly and this includes also the public.Written 21 July 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- After the Gala of Scala Tournée in Savonlinna Opera Festival, they hosted us for a buffet in the Museum. Indeed joy and music invaded the calm and clean rooms of the Museum up to late night. But a few days later I came back, to see the Museum: not a big museum, of course, but really instructive. Here you may understand the work, the fights of people in this Region, to bear climate high demands, but also to help Nature to survive better, to make Men and Nature live together healthy. You may finally look at seals, but also share love for sports and, why not?, look the curious exhibition of Barbie hand made dressed with Finnish costumes!Written 22 September 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Typical Finnish Market. It has standard farmers product stands, berry stands and coffee stand. Highly recommend to take a break, have a cup of coffee and something sweet to eat. Try "Lörtsy" traditional pie from the area. It is slightly greasy and available in sweet and salty versions.
At summer area is full of life and winter much less, more sellers in the morning.Written 23 July 2020
- During a guided tour at the castle, you will hear a story how a black ram saved the castle. Goats and rams were raised normally at castle for the food. There are two ram statues one inside and one outside (this).Written 23 July 2020
- Having booked my train tickets online, they did not arrive so had to get them at Helsinki station - very helpful VR staff. The day I travelled I finally got a reply to my email to VR customer service - a bit late!! you can order them early but if too early you only get an order confirmation, then have to get your tickets.
You change trains at Parikkala. Don't worry like I did! going north, you just get off the inter-city train and cross the platform to the regional train. On the way south, you get off the regional train and go down steps under a tunnel to the platform where the Helsinki inte-city arrives. Easy [even if carrying a heavy case!].
The opera experience is well worth the effort. Although there is very little to do in Savonlinna unless you like fishing, boating etc, it is OK for a couple of days. The atmosphere in the castle is wonderful and the performances magnificent. I particularly liked Kullervo sung at full tilt and lots of brass and timpani.
We had full sun and blue skies one minute and a tropical storm the next - go prepared for all weathers!Written 6 August 2017
- The organconcert of midday gives you a good possibility for rest in the midst of all the rush dooing good for your mind.Written 9 June 2019
- The statue presents Finnish trinity of home (koti), religion(uskonto) and country(Isänmaa). They are painted on the rocks. Location is the pre-island before last bridge to Castle. You get good view of the castle from here.Written 23 July 2020
- If you visit Olavinlinna castle and Riihisaari museum the also visit the steam schooner S/S Salama. It used to be a cargo and a passenger ship. It sank in the 1898 when another passenger ship hit it. It was raised in the 1971 and restoration work stared on 1972. There is also another ship, S/S Mikko, next to the S/S Salama.
S/S Mikko is also a wooden framed steam vessel built in 1914Written 2 June 2019
- There were a small violin concert last time we visited this church. Old wooden building sounds well. So well that the cover of accompanied piano must keep closed. That is why during quiet moments the ventilation noise was a bit harmful. Anyway, this beautiful, quiet place is worth of visiting any time it is open.Written 11 August 2017
- This is a war monument located next to the cathedral. I thought the statue was one of the ugliest I've ever seenWritten 10 May 2021
- Loved going around this small island, you can see the boats and ships passing by from the island, a perfect place during summer evening for walk around or sit down on the rocks and have a picnic with friends and enjoy the sunset and view towards the town.Written 18 June 2017
Frequently Asked Questions about Savonlinna