- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
49 places sorted by traveller favourites.
We perform checks on reviews
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
Showing results 1-30 of 49
What travellers are saying
- Botanical gardens with butterflies, a parrot, reptiles. Different greenhouses with different climate and plants. Well presented with information boards. You feel like you are in the jungle with butterflies flapping around you.
Outside, a large garden, with sensory garden and stage for music performances.
Great cafe and you can enjoy your locally produced ice cream amongs the plants.
Light shows, live music, check the schedule on-line.Written 31 May 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This funny bronze sculpture sitting on a bench next to Joensuu Market Square was completed in 2007.
It is a pity that children are using it as a climbing frame. It is still an artwork.Written 28 July 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This red brick Evangelical Lutheran church was built in 1903. It stands on a hill near the Pielisjoki River.
From the outside, the church represents the Gothic Revival style. The church has two asymmetric towers. The highest one is 50 meters high.
The interior has a more National Romantic style. It has three naves. The star vaults are stunningly decorated with rich plant ornamentation.Written 22 July 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- beautiful forest, we didn't have very much time on our busy itinerary to properly appreciate the peace and tranquillity here. Hope to come again to fully explore.Written 30 May 2018
- This museum is located in the center of Joensuu, near the market square. The stunning Neo-Renaissance building is the former Joensuu Lyceum completed in 1894.
Permanent exhibitions include Finnish art from the 1850s to the modern days. You can find works from the most famous Finnish artists from the Golden Age of Finnish art. The exhibitions also include Eastern Orthodox icons, Chinese art, Greek and Roman antiquities, and European church art.
On our visit, the changing exhibition was a contemporary exhibition by the anonymous graffiti artist EGS and textile artist Niina Mantsinen. It was a quite different art experience.
The museum has a suitable size. You don't get an overdose of art.Written 28 July 2022
- This museum located in the Carelicum building presents the history and cultural tradition of Karelia. In addition, the museum has changing theme exhibitions. In connection with the museum, there is a children's playground Mukulakatu.
The permanent exhibition located on the second floor tells you about the prehistory and development of the North Karelia region, military history, Karelian cultural tradition and artifacts, miniature models of the city of Sortavala, and the birth of the city of Joensuu.Written 28 July 2022
- Joensuu's market square has been the center of the city since 1848.
From the middle of the market, you can find is a water feature, a fixed drinking water point. From the seating areas bordering the market, it's nice to watch the bustle of the market.
Market stalls offer both international food and traditional Karelian pies. Different happenings are organized on the market stage all year round.Written 28 July 2022
- The church is small, but with an interesting iconostasi. On the first line of saints pictures, on the extreme left, there is the imagine of Alexander Nevskij. Proclaimed saint also because he won the Teutonic Knights in the Masuri Lakes battle. The location of the church in the city plan is at the extreme point of one road at the opposite point in relation to the Protestant church. Good luck for finding it open when you go for visiting.Written 3 November 2017
- Had a lovely time even though it is winter it was a good clear day and we had lots of fun it would have been nice to show people in summer but we still had a good day.Written 26 February 2019
- Small beach but really nice to relax and enjoy the view. Water looks clean and air smells refreshing. Highly recommended.Written 13 October 2018
- One of the oldest and best organized music festivals in Finland.
Various genres of music are present on the many stages, the general mood is good and it's almost always sunny during the festival!Written 29 May 2018
Frequently Asked Questions about Joensuu
- The best outdoor activities in Joensuu according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Botania - Botanical Garden and Tropical Butterfly Garden
- Utra Beach
- Lykynlampi Outdoor Centre
- Honkaniemi Beach
- The most popular things to do in Joensuu with children according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Sculpture Susi Kosiomatkalla
- Pohjois-Karjalan museo Hilma
- Botania - Botanical Garden and Tropical Butterfly Garden