Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- Peaceful thought provoking experience. Long walk up to visit but beautiful views and buildings. Time to be at peace with God , remember and reflect.Written 25 July 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- What you'll learn in ~40mins:
→ Kalymnians mode of life 1-3 centuries ago;
→ History of Kalymnians who immigrated to Russian Empire and what businesses they had both in St Petersburg and Kalymnos;
→ Sponge diving.
The way things are represented and organized is great! The exhibition is accompanied by Mr Kyrannis breathtaking storytelling.
But what impressed me mostly is the reverent attitude towards family history and tradition. This is the main peculiarity of the museum, and you can find something like that only in private museums. The work that is done in making such a museum deserves respect.
The place is unique. Definitely worth visiting to learn more about this fascinating island you're resting :)
Especially if you're a near-historical researcher.
Good to know:
Visits are available after a call.
The phone number you can find both in GoogleMaps and in attached photos.Written 7 October 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Excellent history of area, tradition and sponge diving. Plenty of artefacts to view and an interesting guide to read and lovely lady who told us fascinating stories. Small gift shop selling local honey and craft s.Written 25 July 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Beautiful place calm peaceful and serene
The exhibits are displayed beautifully in such good light
The staff are wonderful so knowledgeable and helpful
We come back each year and especially to see lady of kalymnos!Written 6 June 2023
- We did a boat trip from Kos that included Kalymnos and decided not to do the guided tour but wander around instead. By accident we found ourselves outside this museum, and decided to go inside. It was closing in 20 minutes.
Despite that, it was the highlight of my day. The curator, a lovely gentleman named Skevos (I'm so sorry if that spelling is wrong), was so friendly and interesting, I could have spent hours listening to him tell me about the island's history with sponge diving and the Greek navy.
I absolutely love it when I meet people who are so interesting, genuine and charming, and it makes it even better when you meet them somewhere you don't expect. Skevos managed this in only 15-20 minutes.
I hope one day to come back to Kalymnos and the first place I will go is the Nautical Museum to ask Skevos to give me the full story on all the things he didn't have time to tell me today. Thank you Skevos!Written 17 October 2023
- Nice sandy beach with lots of sun beds for a few. There are many restaurants to choose from on this beach. The only negative of this beach it may be very busy and the sun beds are all close to each other which I liked least.Written 8 September 2023
- We learned so much about the history of sponge diving in Kalymnos. The owners were friendly and answered all our questions about the sponges. It's a must-see spot on the island.Written 15 July 2023
- Very nice place! Worth the steep climb. Be sure to bring plenty of water with you, though. Be careful for the rocks, some of them are pretty sharp.Written 31 January 2023
- Really way out of crowds. You will need car or scooter to get here. When we came here for swimming just one more couple was on beach.Written 8 October 2019
- Stopping off point whilst on the three island cruise. Lovely crescent shaped beach, very soft sand and lovely warm shallow clear sees. Clearly gets very busy and crowded as the boats arrive. A few shops all selling the same fare, locally produced honey, arts and crafts and then the usual tat.
An hour here was long enough but well worth a visit nonetheless.
Visited 29 Jun 2019Written 1 August 2019
- A good overview of the sponge industry and it's history. Great demos of the different types of sponges and their characteristics.
Free guide - well worth seeing.Written 13 October 2018
- This isn’t the most pretty beach you will ever see, but we really enjoyed our time there. It is stones rather than sand, but it is also very quiet and you can almost feel part of it to yourself at times.
Fabulous views across the Aegean Sea and the island beyond, make it very special indeed. You are never far from shops and restaurants so all your needs can be catered for in the area.Written 23 May 2023
- A super walk that takes you over the hills from Kalymnos town to the little port of Vathy. A little hard to find in the town, my advice would be to find the museum and keep heading up. Once on the path it's very easy to follow. Lovely views. I would recommend starting out early to avoid the heat. Also to enjoy Vathy empty as after 11 it fills up with the day boats from Kos. It should take no more than 3 hours. Good footwear required.Written 13 October 2022
- Steep walks, but totally worth it. The remains of the castle as well as the view of the windmills and the island, are beautiful.
It's a time well spent.Written 17 August 2022
- One of the most important crags on Kalymnos lies just above the sleepy village Armeos. In actual fact this immense rock face, called Grande Grotta, is divided up into three sectors, each with different characteristics, but each with one unique quality: the exceptional rock and routes.
the routes start way on the left at the sector "Afternoon", which gets its name from the fact that it stays in the shade until after midday. The sector is marked by its enormous corner, and offers about 20 easy routes on rough rock.
The central wall, the "Grande Grotta", is perhaps the most impressive overhang on Kalymnos and definitely an obligatory stop-off point for those climbing hard routWritten 24 August 2019
Frequently Asked Questions about Kalymnos
- The best day trips from Kalymnos according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Full Day 3-Island Boat Cruise from Port of Kos
- Full Day Boat Cruise to 3 Islands with optional pickup
- Full-Day 3 Island Cruise Tour in Kos Island
- The Santa Maria Full-Day Island Cruise in Aegean Sea
- Three Island Cruise from Kos
- The most popular things to do in Kalymnos with children according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Agios Savvas Monastery
- Neoklasiko Private Folklore and Historical Collections
- Kalymnos Kayak Centre
- Traditional Kalymnian House
- Factory of Natural Sponges
Kalymnos Attractions Information