- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
208 places sorted by traveller favourites.
We perform checks on reviews
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
Showing results 1-30 of 208
What travellers are saying
- This is a scenic destination and very popular with tourists to Crete. It’s one of the “must see” Crete destinations however it’s not for the faint hearted, particularly those who drive to the destination and need to negotiate the stairs to the beach.
We got some very good advice from the locals to get there early and leave by lunch time which is when the large passenger ferries drop off hundreds of people onto the beach. We viewed the ferries coming in first hand from a high vantage point and it looked like ants swarming the beach.
My advice is to get there early, around 9am if you’re driving. There’s a very long, bumpy, dirt road which you need to negotiate on the way in. Getting there early assures you won’t be pushed wide onto the edge of the goat track like road at times to allow oncoming vehicles through. It also ensures you will get a park in the car park closest to the stairs.
BEWARE, the stairs are difficult to descend and ascend. We are relatively fit and in our late 40’s and we found it a very solid workout to get down and particularly to get up again.
The beach itself is beautiful and worth the effort however I strongly recommend you fork out for a chair and umbrella because it gets hot.
There is a canteen which sells snacks and cold drinks at a reasonable price considering it’s location.Written 9 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- It was beautiful!!! We were told it was fantastic but until we saw it, we couldn't even have imagined it.
Just be sure to be there early, preferably before 10am.Written 8 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- beach is sandy, there are sunbeds for around 10 EUR a set, water is crystal clear. you have showers. taverna Kalyva nearbyWritten 2 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- There are two, the small Triopetra and the large one which are separated by rocky hill !! Triopetra is given the name because there are 3 (trio) rocks (petra) on the water between the two beaches and you can walk on them....carefully !!Written 5 May 2022
- We drove two hours from the Chania area to the secluded beach, on the beach we discovered spectacular views and a beach that can only be seen in the movies. I recommend to anyone who has come to visit Crete to make for themselves and friends a trip to this spectacular beach. In the tourist season the beach is busy but on less touristy dates it is a dizzying experience!
** Extra bonus ** The beach is a nudist beach so if you are into the matter of tanning like on your birthday it is well worth a trip.Written 12 December 2021
- It is a nice beach, with lots of beach bars with sunbeds, most of them doesn't charge you if you buy something from the bar. The sea has, most of the part, waves. We have been about for times and every time were waves, the lifeguard doesn't let you in the waterWritten 2 August 2022
- Beautiful beach, clear and quiet gulf water. Well equipped.
Only disadvantage is strong winds. The beach we liked most in CreteWritten 17 July 2022
- The beaches are beatiful, but only a few are smooth to go in swimming, especially with kids.
Services are very dependant on hotel, choose well based on prior reviews.Written 21 July 2022
- Really pleasant beach. Not too windy. Small pebbles on the beach, while not the most comfortable to walk on is at least less of a nuisance than sand. No real winning there. Flat rock under the water, easy to walk out into. Gets a bit slippery, but I just walked carefully or floated on my back to get a little further out. Very clean and calm water. Not many people the day we went, very calm and serene. Main thing is I wish there were better WC facilities.Written 12 September 2021
- It was the first beach i visited in my trip to Creta. I was amazed by what i found once there. The water, the caves, the tavernas, the atmosphere. I am writing this review after visiting Balos, Elafonissi, etc. which are actually more impressive in terms of nature, beaches, water. Still i am in love with Matala.Written 10 August 2022
- Lovely place to stay in Crete, not overly busy or too quiet either. There are buses that take you to hersonnis or malia.Written 24 July 2022
- Very nice beach with good diving water.
Also good sunbeds and Taverna Garden is great. The owners also rents deluxe sunbeds. If you enter the beach choose the most left sunbeds (wooden deluxe) they are 20 euro’s per pair including two bottles of freshwater. Also service on the beach and a private shower 👍Written 5 August 2022
- This was a very nice beach. Even if i am afraid of heights i enjoyed it very much. The path was better than most people here describe itWritten 5 August 2022
- We visited lots of beaches in Crete including North, South and East shores and Falassarna is by far the best.
It is wide and long and we did not find it crowded although there were a lot of people. Soft white sand and crystal clear turquoise waters were the best on the island. We did find the water a bit colder than Balos or Elafonnisi but it was plesantly refreshing. It could be a bit wavy but we felt safe with our 5 year old.
We rented beach chairs and they were half priced in the afternoon. They also had a bar service which is always a plus. They have several restaurants nearby.
Parking is plentiful which is quite rare on the island. They have shower facilities by the bathrooms.Written 21 July 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Crete
- These are the best places for adventurous beaches in Crete:See more adventurous beaches in Crete on Tripadvisor