- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
73 places sorted by traveller favourites.
We perform checks on reviews
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- A definitely worthy place to visit!
There are plenty of unique paintings / artcrafts/ dishes u can carry home as a nice memoryWritten 12 December 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Just remember to keep your phone charged, it is very clever and a great idea for an afternoon for fun.Written 4 July 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Just to be sure, this not a real farmer's market. It's colorful and all but seems primarily designed as a one stop Funchal/Madeira experience for the cruise ship crowd.
Just down the street, two blocks away at the Continente supermarket, you can buy the same stuff at the prices locals pay and on the way you'll see other shops of interest.
Getting back to the tourist trap angle, this place is mostly filled with aggressive, pushy vendors and overpriced merchandise.
Sure, go there but be aware of what it is.Written 23 January 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- 3 floors of shops cafes and outlets. Bottom floor is a C and A and a large supermarket. middle floor is a mix of retail clothes, jewellery, nail bars, and food outlets. top floor is a mix of eateries with lots of mixed seating available and some clothes shops plus a book shop. Clean and safe.Written 23 November 2022
- By UK standards pretty poor, however for Madeira it was ok. You will not need to take too much time out of your day to visit perhaps an hour tops.Written 13 January 2023
- Modern art is not for everyone. You start on the top floor then go down 3 levels (they do have a lift) the shop was shut and photos are not permitted.... however its only 4 euros, good cafe and fantastic view.Written 9 April 2018
- We were lucky enough to visit Restock and spent at least 2 hours there. You can find local artistry and work at accessible prices. You will find photography, painting, drawings, prints, and also crafts and small gifts. An excellent selection, expertly curated. The man who runs the place knows the story of each artist represented, which said a lot about their care and selection.Written 28 May 2022
- When walking along the adjacent Promenade we popped into the market to see what was available to purchase. We were staying in a hotel in Funchal for a week so buying some of the excellent looking fresh fish was certainly out of the question. However we did make a couple of purchases including a relatively inexpensive bottle of Madeira wine from one of the better known producers.Written 24 September 2022
- This was our second visit to Lille Ceramics and even though they said online that the shop was very low on stock after a busy Christmas we still found some lovely bits to take home.
The two girls are so nice and very talented.
All the pieces we bought have been expertly wrapped and should survive in our suitcase.
I would very much recommend a visit. One of the first pieces we bought is a deep bowl. This has been through the dishwasher, in the oven and placed on a hot log burner to keep food warm.
Very good quality!Written 18 January 2023
- Different artists exhibited at different times. Open on weekends only. Great cider/coffee shop at the entrance to the galleryWritten 10 August 2014
- A beautiful and fascinating modern building that houses a moderate collection of art.
There are contradictions: this is a very large, very modern, elegant facility but they don’t take cards for any payment - it’s cash only! (Even for the art in the shop retailing for >€350..!
There are multiple large spacious galleries on several levels down the hillside. Whilst often the art is good, it feels a bit too spaced out and would benefit from a little more content.
There are helpful notes and guides and for €4 entry each it is well worthwhile, but you are left feeling it could be even better.Written 17 June 2022
- this is well worth a visit, there are some stunning paintings to see as well as sculptures, the lady in charge is most welcoming.Written 6 October 2018
- Mr Ricardo Fernandes and his team were very professional as they handled the whole business on our behalf.
We will definitely use them again.
Excellent service and Highly recomended .Written 17 March 2020
- We regularly pop into this gallery. There are a wide selection of paintings by Wolfgang and his wife, in addition to painted ceramic tiles. The pictures that Wolfgang does of scenes of ships are particularly good, and one time he even showed us how he constructs the form of the ships. The blue and white tiles by his wife are so very good. Wolfgang is always very welcoming and happy to describe the work he has been undertaking - he has painted several doors in the old town. He often also plays good music. The paintings are updated regularly and so definitely worth popping in from time to time.Written 30 January 2020
- We spent a week in Madeira in a small village called Jadem do Mar. A sweet place with a few restaurants; Joe’s bar has a really nice atmosphere. I certainly would recommend doing some of the Levada walks, particularly the king’s walk; approximately 3 hours round trip. Also the Monte Palace tropical garden in Funchal is also worth seeing, a really beautiful garden.
I have noted some travellers asking about parking in Funchal. We drove and we’re able to find parking in the old town near the sea front. I also did see various car parks near by. Funchal is beautiful, has lots of restaurants with many catering for vegetarians and vegans. Hope this isWritten 18 April 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Madeira
- These are the best places for couples seeking shopping in Madeira:See more shopping for couples in Madeira on Tripadvisor
- These are the best hidden gems for shopping in Madeira:See more hidden gem shopping in Madeira on Tripadvisor