Top Attractions in Portimao
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- Great for a peaceful stroll around and we also seen quite a lot of bird life it also leads you to the beaches good to walk of a big lunch.Written 30 November 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A big and nice beach but sometimes quite dirty. Go to swim behind the wave breaker at the river side if the waves are too big!Written 9 November 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Explore at low tide to get the best of a visit. Beautiful honey coloured rocks and crevices everywhere. Most picturesque and make great pics.Written 15 November 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The water is clean and has a transparent colour. However, the water of the Atlantic Ocean can be very cold in this area. Even so, it can be refreshing to swim here on a hot summer day. Beware that the current on this beach can be strong. Be careful in the water when you are visiting with small children. Also watch out on the eastern end of the beach, since there are some big rocks in the water. It is best to avoid swimming near the rocks. There are no rocks in the water on the western side and in the middle section. The beach can be crowded, especially during the summer months. However, there is always enough space for everyone. Also, the people are not evenly distributed on the beach. The beach has both crowded and quiet areas. The most crowded part is the middle section. The more east or west you go from there, the less crowded it will get. If you prefer to have more privacy on the beach, avoid the middle section. The beach attracts all kinds of visitors, including families with children. The sandy beach is quite popular with kids to build sandcastles and to play in the sand.Written 18 August 2022
- A small, but great overview regarding the history of sardines. As a sardine lover myself(Surinamese staple food), worthy of visiting. Outside in the water, u can see them in big schools as well.Written 30 September 2022
- I've wanted to learn how to sail for a long time and finally took the plunge in October 2022 with my husband. Our sailing journey began with Learn2Sail in Portimao & we chose their 'Beginner to Day Skipper course. Before embarking on the sailing practical courses, we completed an online theory course at home in the UK.
The online theory course took me much longer than the 40 to 50 hours guideline, as I wanted to make certain I'd absorbed the lessons at a rate that worked for me. My husband, however, took much less time. As an airline pilot, he already had a solid navigational background. Personally, I'd recommend allowing a little more time for the online course if you have that luxury. I believe it can be completed within a 6 month period. In the end, we had 3 weeks before beginning the practical course in Portimão & while this was beneficial for keeping all the lessons fresh in my head, for someone learning everything from scratch, the 3 week timescale felt at times, a little overwhelming.
If you are learning to use the VHF radio, allow time in a quiet space to complete your online VHF theory course. I chose to use the 2 day break while on board in between the 5 day Competent Crew & 5 day Day Skipper practical courses. In hindsight, these 2 days would have been better spent recharging my batteries. The practical course is tiring & if you're staying on board, the yacht is cleaned thoroughly in this time, restocked and any maintenance is carried out.
The practical sailing courses are thorough & there is a lot of groundwork covered in a relatively short space of time. Mark is truly a fantastic teacher. He is patient, kind & teaches in a way that makes learning to sail easy to understand & fun. I can't recommend his teaching skills highly enough! His wife, Jane is very friendly, organised & extremely helpful. Staying on board the yacht was a wonderful experience. It is clean & very well-stocked. Portimão Marina is suberb. The area is fantastic with incredible restaurants & a beautiful boardwalk along the beach.
Finally, after 12 days on board, I totally fell in love with Osprey. She's really is rather special. My husband & I always thought we'd end up with a catamaran one day but now we're not so sure!
Thank you SO much Mark & Jane!Written 6 December 2022
- with three rocks supposedly shaped like castles? Lovely ochre coloured and easy to look round at low tide. Pleasant walk on beach.Written 16 November 2022
- Small beach but becomes a lot bigger when tide is out and you can walk all the way to Praia dos Tres Castello and Praia do Alemao. A number of cafes and restaurants, one up the cliff overlooking the honey coloured cliffs and rocks.Written 16 November 2022
- We visited the Kartódromo internacional Algarve (KIA) and had a great time. 30mins for EUR45, choice between two circuits and different gokarts.
Very friendly and helpful staff. Focus on security.
A great experience for young and “old”.
To be repeated!Written 12 July 2022
- Beautiful mall with a great open air concept, love it!
Good selection of various outlets...
Big food court on the top floor
Everything you need!Written 2 October 2020
- This is a beautiful little 16th Century Church with the most beautiful ornately decorated sanctuary you will see outside of Rome. It is not ostentatious but of its time and must be accepted as that. For music lovers the acoustics are ridiculously magnificent - the high wooden ceiling with stone columns gives the singer a chance to let go - I did so with 'Nella Fantasise' at a wedding here in 2018. The gentlest whistle has a beautiful reverb high up in the ceiling. What a joy.Written 7 October 2022
- Its almost as though this is a secret beach, but clearly others have caught on where it is hidden. Saying that, the tiny beach was busy but that means about 30 people were there enjoying the idyllic setting.
An absolutely beautiful beach that involves an element of rock climbing to get to. It’s a manageable scramble down the cliff to get there, but if you struggle with heights or have any mobility issues, it’s best to stay away.
If you get there, enjoy the quiet and views of the cliffs surrounding you and keeping you protected from the outside world.Written 14 September 2020
- This is a great place to enjoy sunny days on this beautiful beach! If, like me, you enjoy the sun from the safety of the shade, this is the perfect spot to relax! (Plenty of sun is also available for those who want it!) Comfortable sun beds, attractive natural shades and pleasant staff make this a great base for a day on Praia da Rocha. It's close to shops and cafes for refreshments and reasonably priced. Merci pour l'accueil et des journées sympas et ensoleillées!Written 28 August 2018
- Beautifully maintained church in the centre of Alvor. In many earlier photos the edges of the whitewashed walls are highlighted in yellow, however for 2022 it is now blue.Written 13 October 2022
- Sandpits make a pretty picture at low tide. Not a lot of birds in November but pleasant nonetheless for a good walk. The sand is fine and pristine clean from afar. You can see locals digging for seafood at low tide.Written 15 November 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Portimao